The end of [the old] Fleetwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are the new owners still operating as Fleetwood?  In other word, does the brand name go in?

From the article, they are liquidating the Fleetwood assets.  That would imply no more operations unless someone buys the name and perhaps some of the assets and starts it over again.

Lots of quality manufacturers have gone under in recent years, or had the name bought up by another company.  I'm sure the Fleetwood name will be back, but who will wear it remains to be seen.  The article didn't address the issue of the current owners of the name and RV division as to whether they plan on staying in the RV business.

No need to sorrow, Mike.  This article refers to the old Fleetwood, Fleetwood Enterprises. They've been selling off assets for over a year and are finally gone.  A new entity called Fleetwood RV Inc bought all the Fleetwood Class A & C the motorhome brands and facilities and is in full operation in Decatur, IN.

www.fleetwoodrv.com

Another company, Northwoods Mfg,  bought some of Fleetwoods RV trailer brands and factories and may bring back a few of the trailer brand names. Northwoods makes Arctic Fox andNash RVs.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2009/05/northwood-begins-production-at-former-fleetwood-plant/

The article pretty much stated the current status. The bankruptcy was that of the old line Fleetwood company that went out of business. As noted in the article, among the assets sold by the bankruptcy court were the name, motor home intellectual property and Indiana plants previously owned by Fleetwood, in bankruptcy. The article indicated that the sold operation was still going.

Gary,, you have recently delt with American Coach, in your opinion, how is the demise of Fleetwood going to impact American??<<<Dan :(

I haven't actually dealt with the new company first hand, but I'm active in the AC Owners group and the ACA and talk with a lot of people who are.  The changes seem small, for the most part, and the best & biggest of course is that they are still there and available. Some small changes are:

1) They now charge for parts when doing "free' service at rallies. The labor is free.
2) The AC service center was merged with other Fleetwood lines, so all brands are now serviced in former AC service center. No change in the level or quality of service reported, but it there will probably be longer waits for appointments and service when the economy recovers. It used to be hectic enough when it was only AC. But there is room for more techs to work if needed too.
3) The old Fleetwood used to do quite a bit of "customer satisfaction" repairs on older rigs for free. Doesn't seem to be much (any?) of that now. They even canceled some free non-warranty repairs that had been promised (in writing) by the old Fleetwood and said the customer would have to pay if he wanted the work done.
4) Parts department seems harder to get a hold of - it's mostly leave a message and they will call back. When they have a chance. It's all one parts dept now too, I'm told.

Overall, it seems business as usual from a customer perspective. Small adjustments in procedures but nothing major. 

Don Jensen said:
It's amazing how people like to throw incomplete info out here just to get a reaction.  ::)

What in the article was incomplete?  Do you have another legitimate reference with conflicting information?

Hmmm    how about this  "The legacy does go on except with different owners," Millet said.

I was at the AC/Fleetwood service facility in Decatur last week for 3 day's of repairs on my C. The plant that makes the class C is going strong as is the plant that makes the A's. The fiberglass plant down the street from the service facility is turning out all kinds of truck cabs and stuff.
Oh, they are hiring as well.

Didn't appear to be the end of anything imo.

Fastcar said:
I was at the AC/Fleetwood service facility in Decatur last week for 3 day's of repairs on my C. The plant that makes the class C is going strong as is the plant that makes the A's. The fiberglass plant down the street from the service facility is turning out all kinds of truck cabs and stuff.
Oh, they are hiring as well.

Didn't appear to be the end of anything imo.

It was just sensationalism by the originator of the thread.  Kind of like yelling "fire" in a theater when someone lights a cigarette.  Technically correct, but done to garner attention. ::)

It is sort of like "the King is dead - long live the King".

The old Fleetwood is gone and the new Fleetwood is alive and well. Better even then the predecessor in that it has no debt and has shed some weight as well.

I've adjusted the title so it is more clear from here on out, but did not go back and edit all previous posts.

I've modified the original message title also.  Sure wouldn't want anyone to hear "fire" in this theater :(  Why do some people always look for ulterior motives?

I don't know the answer either Ned.  Sorta sounded like another forum for a while that I won't mention the name of that thrives on bashing and criticizing each and every post one makes :( :(  Overall tho, this does rank as "The friendliest place.........." despite a few hot moments  ;D

Back
Top Bottom