The fastest you've ever been in a car?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

As either a passenger or driver. Myself, pretty much a wimp when it came to some of my other more reckless friends. Early on when got my '68 GTO I was just over 95 when I backed off with traffic ahead. Probably wouldn't have even caught the attention of LEOs in places like FL these days. :rolleyes:

LOL - 120+ in a '66 Impala with a 425 and 4 speed. On the Nevada Interstates, just outside of Vegas, in the mid 1970s. Leaving town you see a sign "end of speed zone"!. :cool:

That's excluding speeds attained on the drag strip there, in other cars.

About a buck forty five in an LS1 Z28, and it could have kept going. Completely stock.

120+ in a 71 Cuda 440. But I also rode in an Indy Car 2 seater around IMS at 180, that was a rush. My current motorcycle Goldwing F6B 1800, they say will do 130, at a bit over 100, I said enough, if it has an issue it will not end well.

107 in my Datsun 240z, my cousin said we up to 120 in it on a hill coming into st croix falls WI but I was too drunk to remember. My virago 1100, 97 and backed off for same reason above.

1969 or 1970 Camaro put together by Dana. Had about 500 hp. At an idle the car was jumping and burbling. On the Interstate one time, I power shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear at about 70 mph and went sideways. Scared the crap out of me as I slowly backed off the throttle. At any rate, 140 mph was the fastest, but still had lots of throttle left. Obviously, I young and dumb.

I don't know what is the fastest I have ever gone, my speedometer stopped at 120 and it was pegged. Like Phil I drove on the Nevada roads in the 60s between Reno and Las Vegas in the 60s and there was no daytime speed limit. I was tooling along in my 67 Cougar with a 390 and an automatic with 3.00 rear end doing as fast as it would go with not another car in sight when suddenly a T-bird passed me like I was standing still. Blew my mind.

Highway 126 branched off of highway 101 at the Ventura city limits going to Santa Paula and at night it was empty and it was almost straight as a die with absolutely no traffic since very few people went to Santa Paula at night on purpose and the road was new and smooth. I use to go out there at night and crank it up to 120. But there was only about 10 miles before hitting the 2 lane section, but I got there pretty quick.

I traded it on a 69 Cougar Eliminator with a 428 and a 4.25 rear end. Top speed was about 105 but I got there in about 12 seconds, Fortunately I got all over being a hot rodder and since then I have driven like the old man that I am. I have been driving 55 tops in the slow lane no matter how fast the speed limit is. I learned the truth in the saying 'Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go.'

Bit over 100 MPH.. Michigan State Police Sgt. Driving.. I ask him if he wanted to get back to the post before we came across any more accidents.. He responded in the affirmative.. I told him "Too late. Minor injury accident on the other side of the freeway" We called it in and sat with 'em till the regular troopers arrived.
(The last time we'd lunched together we responded to something like 7 accidents before we got back to the post).

About 130 in my brothers 41 Ford coupe. He was driving. I was a bar just down the street from my parents one night and a guy asked if I had ever driven around the track (Daytona International Speedway). The track was only a few miles from the bar and he had a key to the gate. I don’t know how fast we went, we were both pretty drunk. I drove a go cart about 70-75 once. The ground was zipping pretty fast.

140 in '86 Alfa Spider somewhere in Arizona between the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Route 40 East. Long, straight road with only a few little dips across the desert.

I'm a wimp. Never over 95 regardless of the car I was driving. Then again I've been just a tad over 90 on a Yamaha FZ6. FWIW, I was 64 when I bought my first motorcycle. The FZ6 could go 0 - 60 in a 3.6 seconds. It was a detuned racing bike.

Pegged at 160.

In my Mustang on the Interstate in New Hampshire just over the border from Vermont.

The highway was divided by a mountain but there was a cutout where a State Police was sitting as I went by.

The Mustang has a SVT Motorsport GT40 crate racing motor with a 5 speed. I also had Z rated tires and it has a SVT speedometer that read up to 160.

Here is a picture of the speedometer, (been sitting in the garage and is very dusty).

The State Trooper must have been looking down and did not come out of the cut in the mountain. I watched in the mirror, took the next exit back to Vermont on back roads and parked the Mustang in the Stacker for a long time.

I was showing off for a friend, never did that again.

Attachments

• r20210221_185751.jpg
    r20210221_185751.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Speedometer.jpg
    Speedometer.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 19
  • rstacker1.jpg
    rstacker1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
100 mph in 1974 on a 1968 - 1200 Harley Davidson (fully dressed) motorcycle. I never attempted to go that fast again with anything. I was 19 years old, old enough to know better, young enough to still be stupid. (I-69 between Muncie, Indiana and Anderson, Indiana - Southbound).

100 mph in 1974 on a 1968 - 1200 Harley Davidson (fully dressed) motorcycle. I never attempted to go that fast again with anything. I was 19 years old, old enough to know better, young enough to still be stupid. (I-69 between Muncie, Indiana and Anderson, Indiana - Southbound).
The thread asks how fast you've been in a car. Motorcycles, planes, helicopters and trains don't count.

135 mph coming home from my sr prom in my brother's 68 XKE (1974). 140 mph in my 2002 C5 vette (about 10 years ago). Now I drive a BMW 535i - got it to 130 mph, them the speed limiter came on.

Motorcycles...I don't actually know how fast. I had a Ducati 749s for about 5 years. 116hp out of the box. Looking down, I caught a glimpse at 130 once, but that was scary. Real scary. The wind wants to rip you off the bike, even crouched. The riding position is practically laying down anyhow. That bike was like a great weekend in Vegas..I quit while I was ahead, Never laid it down, never got hit. And oh mah godddd was it fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottlp123
Back
Top Bottom