The Fitzgeralds take on Road America!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing this speacial experience along with photos.? Looks like Jerry & Ardra had a great time.

When will you be going to Indy Jerry?

Is ir and will it be raining in Indy on race day.

Karl said:
Gasser,

24th out of 150, and fourth in class is nothing to sneeze at! Darn good running, but what were you driving? Also, there are no banked turn at RA; fortunately non of them are off-camber either - that can make for some really interesting (read: I gotta change my underwear) experiences ::)

Bernie,
I know you raced a Porsche, and I would have loved to have you and Marlene be there too. Next weekend we have PCA (Porsche Club of America) Chicago region, and expect to have nearly 200 Porsches from 935's to 962's there - maybve even a few 914's thrown in for moving chicanes? ;D I'm really sorry you couldn't make it this year, and I understand your concerns about the traffic, but that's really a wimpy excuse ;D
I drove a 911 RSA.  It was prepped for D stock but at the time it was still gutted and very light.  It only weighed 2500 pounds and with my new motor at 300 Rear wheel horse power was quite quick.  Since it was a rennsport reunion event they did not enforce rules for class as it was not a sanctioned PCA event.  It was a fun run only but at full race pace ;D  Loads of fun.  With that banking my first time around I actually felt a little light headed.  There was lots of pucker factor but once you got use to it, it was a blast.  by the way, Daytona if far from smooth.  At 160+ MPH the car is a handfull on that track.  I have some cool video and when you look at the light poles, they point towards the passenger side at a steep angle, I guess 31 degrees to be exact. ;D  If you hold the camera where those poles are pointing straight up you get the true perspective of what the banking was like while on the track. 

I need to start racing again.  I miss it....Well, My kids come first.  They will get bigger then some day......

Bob,
I haven't traveled I5 recently, but if all accounts are correct, nothing short of a small tactical nuclear device will help :D

Jim,
Not to worry - you'll have plenty of on-track time to master the unique style of Fitzgerald flagging! Actually, it might be quite entertaining to see what new techniques you bring to the sport ::) And sorry, but they won't let you take any hot laps on your bike. Darn.

Gasser,
Do you still have your RSA? Those are some pretty neat machines! There'll be lots of 911's, 944's, GT's, Boxters, and a few 956's and 928's too. I can only imagine the thrill of running flat out on a banked track! Every August (8/4-8/6 this year) the same group of 6 of us travel to Gingerman at South Haven, MI to handle the Chicago PCA event there. While a lot smaller than RA, it's relatively flat and has no trees or concrete to run into, so you can drive 11/10ths if you want. What many people don't know is that most club events; Porsche Club of America, Audi Club, BMW Club, etc., are not called races, but driver education and there are certain high risk places along the course where passing is not allowed. That way they're covered by their insurance. Doesn't mean they go any slower! 

Gasser

We also had a '93 RSA which we bought new. The only modifications were bigger brakes, lowered suspension and roll bar. The car was my daily driver when not on the track. Sold it after running at Watkins Glen and realizing that we had no accessible enjoyable tracks to run on out west for the next 2 years. It was also getting more and more difficult to get into the car ;D ;D

Karl, that Drivers' Ed distinction was very important. We had 2 incidents over the years, one costing over $25,000 in repairs and insurance paid for both.

As an answer to Ron's Ruward's question, when will we get to INDY...we're there. 

We will have a full 5-day report but yesterday, at an event we were not previously told about and which we just luckily stumbled upon, we drove our MDX tow car around the entire 2-1/2 mile INDY track and on into the infield.  The INDY 500 is something everyone interested in racing should attend.  More in a few days as a new thread.

Jerry & Ardra

Karl said:
Bob,
I haven't traveled I5 recently, but if all accounts are correct, nothing short of a small tactical nuclear device will help :D

Jim,
Not to worry - you'll have plenty of on-track time to master the unique style of Fitzgerald flagging! Actually, it might be quite entertaining to see what new techniques you bring to the sport ::) And sorry, but they won't let you take any hot laps on your bike. Darn.

Gasser,
Do you still have your RSA? Those are some pretty neat machines! There'll be lots of 911's, 944's, GT's, Boxters, and a few 956's and 928's too. I can only imagine the thrill of running flat out on a banked track! Every August (8/4-8/6 this year) the same group of 6 of us travel to Gingerman at South Haven, MI to handle the Chicago PCA event there. While a lot smaller than RA, it's relatively flat and has no trees or concrete to run into, so you can drive 11/10ths if you want. What many people don't know is that most club events; Porsche Club of America, Audi Club, BMW Club, etc., are not called races, but driver education and there are certain high risk places along the course where passing is not allowed. That way they're covered by their insurance. Doesn't mean they go any slower!?
Actually the above may be true of DE events but the PCA racing events are true races with a start and finish.? There is passing under green anywhere on the track and the event is timed and there is a winner.? No prize money though ;D? Since this is real racing, insurance will not pay for any mishap on the track unless you have specific track insurance.? There are very strict rules about mishaps to try to minimize this as it is an amature event.? We call it the 13/13 rule.? If you have a mishap/ wreck you are on probation for 13 months and if you have a second in that 13 month period then you are totally suspended from racing for 13 months.? Once back you have another 13 months of probation.? Durring your suspension period you can continue to run in DE events as described above in your post.? Believe me, this is real racing and people take it very seriously.? You actually have to earn a racing licence by goint to class, going to a begginers race and doing lots of practice starts etc....? Then you have to run several races with a large X plastered on the back of your car so all the other racers know you are a new racer.\
? ? ?I can tell you from over 7 years experience driving DE events, the real racing is TOTALLY different.? No comparrison.? The fun, danger and reality of it hits you in the face on your first race as you enter turn one at full bore 4 cars wide in a turn only wide enough for 3 cars.? If you like adreniline then this is for you.

I do not have my RS America as my kids kept me from getting to the track.? I wanted to stay married so the car went by by.? I now just have a street toy that I plan on doing some DE events in just to keep my skills up.? I will return to racing some day but for now its motor home time.?

Jeff

JerArdra said:
As an answer to Ron's Ruward's question, when will we get to INDY...we're there.?

We will have a full 5-day report but yesterday, at an event we were not previously told about and which we just luckily stumbled upon, we drove our MDX tow car around the entire 2-1/2 mile INDY track and on into the infield.? The INDY 500 is something everyone interested in racing should attend.? More in a few days as a new thread.

Jerry & Ardra
The Indy track is cool.  I attended the first and second Grand Prix that returned to the USA there a few years back and would have loved to drive with the Porsche cup cars.  I believe Michael Andretti drove wtih them as a guest driver.  He got spanked!  Long fast straights are fun the first few times around but its the braking and turns that make this type of racing fun.

Back
Top Bottom