The Great Toilet Debate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
......  I couldn't tell you exactly where the black tank is located.  I have no idea and cannot see it since I have an underbelly cover.

If your toilet does not use a pump like some do, your black tank is located directly under the toilet itself!!

I doubt the above is correct, but what do I know! I have observed that (for my no pile tank) if you let the water level get below the poop pile, it starts to smell. Add water and the smell goes away. This would be more of a problem if your C has a short by wide by long tank. e. g. A flat 30 gal tank may not last long if you add enough water. I expect that more water and shortening the dump intervals would solve the problem.

Ernie

I have an odor that comes from the storage cabinet directly across from the bathroom. The original owner had a men's installed washer & dryer in this cabinet. The odor is not always there, and to me it smells like septic; however, on our current long trip I'm noticing more humidity in that cabinet where I store towels, some kitchen gadgets, extra paper towels/TP, and have stored 3 cases of wine (a collection of local wines from states we are visiting) we're taking home as gifts. My DH says he doesn't smell anything, but I'm positive its there, just wish I could identify it. I've put some odor absorbers in there w/o success. Anyone have a clue what I might be dealing with.  Also, the dry food pantry is on one side of cabinet & my clothes are in drawers on the other. The cabinet is a part of the bedroom slide.

Linda

Linda

The w/d probably was tied into the grey water vent. If they did not seal the vent and drain properly you will get moisture and odor in the cabinet.

Probably one mighty reason we go for cassette toilets. You can wheel it away. A Dump Tank in the Australian summer is not a pleasant thought.

If the water drain (stand pipe) is still in that closet, it probably no longer has water in its P-trap. Or maybe the installers didn't even use a P-trap. Either way, gray tank odors can seep back into the closet if the pipe remains open. Pour a cup of water in to fill the trap again - that should stop the odor immediately. But I would put a plug on the pipe for the longer term.  If you can't find a standard slip-fit pipe cap for that size pipe, get some plumber's caulk and wad it into a ball large enough to mash on/into the pipe opening. Kid's modeling clay works too.

My neighbors were over last night...they insist that the smell is because I put the (poop) paper down the toilet.  Then I reminded them that they dump every three or four days.  Hell...mine doesn't produce an odor until about the 5th day.  I think every three days is just a little bit much.  However, their monitor works.  Mine does not, never did, so I don't know if the tank is full, 3/4 full, 1/2 full, etc.  However, I do add a lot of water, all the time. 

I'm trying the "GEO method" next week.  Going shopping today to pick up the "ingredients."

Thanks to all for your input.

Cathy  ;D

I'm a little late getting in on this, but since I'm a weekender I always have to dump my icemaker so I dump that, a gallon of water, and Dawn dishwashing soap in before I drive. Also never dump until I'm ready to leave.  Knock on wood, never had a problem

I only put toilet paper in plastic bags when I wipe from the front, not the back!  I only use 1 ply that will dissolve easily. The big trick about any odor is water...use plenty of it. We also put ice cubes down the toilet before we leave the campground. This helps clean the walls of the tank. I'm really fussy about the black water tank and I have found that a lot of water is the best solution for odor and clog prevention. Along with the ice cubes I also add 3 gallons of water then my chemical. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom