The Hunt Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyknee

http://nexusrv.com/new-inventory/class-a-diesel-pusher

If I was to purchase today, had the dollars, the link leads to what I would buy now. I plan to be a full timer, towing a dinghy.........

I need opinions from those full timers with experience, about the pros and cons of the above Class A. You do not need to write a book unless you want to, links are greatly appreciated as well.

Whats the largest Class A before size becomes inconvenient? state facilities, fed facilities, private facilities considered,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Best manufacturer for reliability?
Most mileage I should consider on a used buy?
Areas of US that have better used buys available?
Best for heating and insulation?
Any Electric motorhomes?

I and many on this site would not even think of buying a new motorhome. The depreciation is a killer. Why not let someone else absorb the depreciation and buy a used unit. There are many, many nice class A motorhomes for sale with very few miles on them, and they are like brand new. Plus if there were problems, chances are the owner has repaired them. I would be looking at a coach at least 3-6 years old.

Bill

I just came across this site www.changingearsrv.com click on getting started. Here you will find great information specially for new people thinking on buying rv. There is a section that talk on pro and con for every class.  Good luck.

This reminds me of the commercial on tv about insurance where the guy asks how his car could depreciate before its first oil change, and I always want to yell out: "You dummy, your car depreciated as soon as you drove it off the lot." Its the same with motorhomes, but even more so. Wait until a reasonable amount of depreciation has already taken place, then buy it.

So..having full timed for five years in both a used and new Class A....

Whats the largest Class A before size becomes inconvenient? state facilities, fed facilities, private facilities considered,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Depends on how you like to stay...we can get in some state/federal facilities, not others .... we are not campers so that is not that critical. That's a personal choice but around 38' you start getting some constraints...

Best manufacturer for reliability?

The very best are outside most of our price ranges. Most manufacturers have several price points. They all have had some issues somewhere and someone will beat on them. You just really need to do some homework.

Most mileage I should consider on a used buy?

Mileage may not be as important as the level of care and whether you can see service records. Class A diesels are designed mechanically to be on the road for hundreds of thousands of miles. It the house part that withers over time in many coaches.

Areas of US that have better used buys available?

Cannot say. When the snow birds start moving back north seems to be a great time to pick up something.

Best for heating and insulation?

Many of the higher end coaches will have heated wet bays, etc. and some will advertise better insulation, but it's still a box with windows and it's hard to make them anywhere near as efficient as you can build a stick and brick home.

Any Electric motorhomes?

If you are speaking of no propane on board, most of the manufacturers can produce a model like that, often more high end with Aqua Hot heating, electric stovetop, and residential refrigerator.

We have had an almost perfect experience with both a used and new coach. There is depreciation but a first time buyer in a new coach is kind of dicey. What if you don't like it? then what? But there are plenty of stories of folks who bought new and lived happily ever after.

There are no absolutes with RV'ing. Everyone can do it whatever way they choose. What is right for me may not be for you.

Do your homework, ask questions, and make yourself happy. All we can do here is offer anecdotal data for you to chew on.  8)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom