The Keys, Everglades & southern FL Feb-Mar, then N to PA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

This is extreme advance planning - I'm thinking about a trip to The Keys in March 2022. I'm starting planning early (I know, really really early  ::) )

I'll be starting from northern FL (about 50 miles S of GA) and I'll have 3-4 weeks, might stretch that to 5-6. It might also include Feb, won't know until late this year.

Definitely want to go to Key West (I'm not military so looks like 3 campgrounds to choose from), and I'd like to hit a few spots either before or after. I don't want to move too often, perhaps a travel day, 3 days in place then a travel day. So I guess that works out to 4 days per destination, or about 5-7 destinations if I do 3 weeks. Distance going south without diversions is about 550 miles, heading north to PA about 1,400. I'm a 300ish mile/day guy. I'm happy to drive a couple hours from where the rig is parked to go sight seeing. On my way back up I will end up in PA, so probably lots I should include on the way north (thinking Nashville, incl Dollywood and Grand Ole Opry). My tentative plan is to drive straight to Key West (2 days) and start there, then start working my way back north.

I'm thinking March is too late for the Everglades, maybe even Feb?

I believe state and federal parks generally book out 12 months in advance, private campgrounds might go further out which is why I'm looking at this so far in advance as I know The Keys are a popular destination with limited facilities.

I don't really like "resort" type facilities, and at the moment with a single 12V battery I'm not really setup for dry camping, although by then I may have a pair of 6V batteries which would give me 2-3 careful days (plus I have an inverter generator, no solar). Since I'll be at each stop for about 3 days, I'd prefer places that are nice, as opposed to those just in a good location. (I realize sometimes the location is so good, one has to give a little on the "nice" part.)

Where should I go? What should I see? East coast? West coast? I'm interested in the "you must stay there" campgrounds, and the "you have to be sure and see" type places. I have some other trips planned so not likely to return to the Keys anytime soon.

Also I am a certified diver but would want a refresher.

Appreciate your input and ideas.

My wife and I are very intimate with both the Everglades and the Keys and have explored all of them many many times either by paddling, biking or hiking including the 99 mile wilderness waterway and every off shore Key from Key Biscayne to Key West, (excluding The Dry Tortugas - too far to paddle to, but been there by ferry)
February and March are great times at both places.
With that said, you need to explain what your likes and dislikes are and we can help you out more.

Jack L

JackL said:
February and March are great times at both places.
With that said, you need to explain what your likes and dislikes are and we can help you out more.

I'm not a hiker or biker per se, but am in reasonably good condition and am up for modest walking, hiking or biking. Probably no kayaking or canoeing. I'd like to take a decently long air boat ride (i.e., not just an hour). I understand areas around the Everglades can have spectacular numbers and varieties of birds, I'm willing to drive some distance to see that sort of thing. Never seen a gator in the wild. Wouldn't mind getting a couple dives in.

Re campgrounds, I'd like them as scenic as possible - I'd prefer a really nice, memorable and photogenic campground on the water and/or with a view even if it requires a longer drive to get somewhere. In Key West for example I'd rather be in a nicer campsite overlooking the water with nice sunsets and/or sunrises even if that means a cab ride to get to Duval St.

Does that give you enough?

In South Miami, Larry and Penny Thompson Memorial Park (a county park) has a nice campground  (I'm there now) with reasonable prices. Prices are supposed to be going up, but nobody knows when or how much. Full hookups with 20/30/50 amp electric.
There are lots of things to see and do in the Miami area.
Everglades NP has 2 campgrounds: Long Pine Key (not really a key), and Flamingo. Long Pine Key is no hookups. Flamingo is 30 something mile, at the end of the road. The campground has some electric sites, water and dump station at the bathhouse.
Key Largo: John Pennekamp State Park. A good place to refresh your diving skills. They have diving trips and guides available. I think Pennekamp also has a campground. But I don't know anything about it.
There are several commercial trailer/rv parks in Key Largo.  There are several state parks in the keys, some with campgrounds,  some not.
Your timing should be good. The snowbirds start migrating North around tha end of February. By the end of March there are lots of vacancies.
Things to do in the keys: drink, eat, drink, fish, drink, dive, drink.
That's all I've got.  Others can give you more info about the keys and Key Waste (we do call it waste, it's not a typo).

One of my favorite places in really, really south Florida is Midway Campground in the Big Cypress Preserve.  It is federal and has electric hookups, plus a water fill station and dump station for $15 per night for seniors with a pass.  There are restrooms, but no showers, and you need to come in with lots of groceries and a full tank of gas and, as the nearest gas station is 25 miles east and the nearest grocery store 50 miles west!  Also, need to drive 3 miles west to visitor center to get cell service!  BUT, you can walk across the highway and see alligators and birds, or drive the 3 miles to the visitor center to see at least a dozen really big alligators.  And sites are paved and facing a large pond, with palm trees at almost every site.  And strangely enough, there is an art gallery just a mile west of Midway!

Also, custom is you do not leave any lights on at night at Midway because people enjoy the dark night and seeing those billions and billions of stars and the Milky Way. 

13 miles east is Shark Valley where you can take a 14 mile tram ride into the Everglades or rent a bike and ride the paved loop--almost guaranteed to see a few dozen alligators and even more birds.

As far as the Keys go, there are four state parks on the Keys, but getting a site is really competitive because they charge about $32 per night and the commercial campgrounds on the Keys charge about $150 per night.  State Parks in Florida take reservations 11 months in advance.  There is no parking in Key West for motorhomes or trailers, with one exception--there is a state park there and you can buy a cheap day pass and walk to the commercial area, which is about half a mile.  If you have a big vehicle you have to drive, just drive straight to the state park--do NOT under any circumstances try to drive through the busy commercial area in your RV!  Streets are narrow and full of people and bikes. 

There is a major difference in whether you come up the east or west side of Florida. 

East - The ocean is fantastic but if you stay in one of the beachside campgrounds like the one near Flagler Beach, you will want to go to an RV wash afterward to get rid of all the salt film that is on everything afterwards.  If you stay 5 miles off the beach, that is not an issue  That said, the Atlantic is breathtaking every day and there are many spots to dive, snorkeling is great (wrecks etc.) and does not require a refresher and the sunrises are beautiful.  Beautiful towns on that side to visit and walk around or get some fresh seafood are Stuart (stay at Johnathan Dickinson State Park), St. Augustine, Fernandina Beach (not sure about campgrounds in that area).  If you like unique things, Butterfly World in western Boward county is a great day trip and very memorable.

West - Sunsets over the water are breathtaking.  The higher you go on the state the more beautiful the sand. No salt to deal with but not very dive friendly as the water is shallow and more brackish.  Boat trips out into the bay can sometimes see dolphins.  Check on when is scallop season and only go in the beginning since later in the season they are gone.  Remember that Mexico Beach in the panhandle was devastated by hurricane and has not been built back up yet.  There is the pinellas trail which was a rails to trails conversion and is a beautiful bike ride.  We stayed in the Dunedin area since it was further away from the traffic of Tampa.  Naples is beautiful in a palm beach kind of way, but pricey.  If I was on the west side, I would make a special trip to John Ding Darling park. It is on the tip of Sanibel island and has a beautiful bird sanctuary and Ranger walk.  The Bubble Room used to be the go-to restaurant but not sure if still open.

Ocala national park area is beautiful and has a lot of very inexpensive campgrounds.  Stay away from I-4 during rush hours as it can be bumper to bumper for 2-3 hours. 

We grew up in south Florida but now only travel there to check on the in-laws. We stay at Jonathan Dickenson St Park just north of Jupiter when we?re down there. Full hookups, nice sites and close to the ocean. No shade though. You mentioned you might try boondocking a night or two but be aware that it gets hot down there, even in mid-winter. For example, we were there in early December this year and had to run the a/c every day since the temps were still in the mid to upper 80?s. The past couple of days here in north Florida it?s been in the mid 80?s as well.  I?d strongly suggest looking for state parks with at least water/electric hookups. And yes, you?ll have to get your reservations in as soon as the window opens so you?re smart to start planning now.

We just got back from down there!  We stayed at lazy lakes cg.  I think it was $350 total for three nights. We had a site right on the lake.  Great location about 25 minutes from key west.  We also did collier seminole for everglades.  Really nice state park. You might be planning a bit early  have fun.

Can't help on most of this but when we were there in 2009 we did a short walk called the Anhinga Trail, we saw loads of different birds and alligators and got some great photos. I'd recommend it if you are nearby.

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/anhinga-trail.htm

Peggyy said:
You might be planning a bit early

Not that far really, I'll need to start making reservations in 10-11 months. I appreciate everyone's input so far. Throughout this year I'm going to continue to gather info and ideas and do my own research, so that I'm ready to make reservations when the window opens.

I'd like to go on an airboat ride in the Everglades - anyone have recommendations?

Thanks to everyone who's offered ideas.

jackiemac said:
Can't help on most of this but when we were there in 2009 we did a short walk called the Anhinga Trail, we saw loads of different birds and alligators and got some great photos. I'd recommend it if you are nearby.

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/anhinga-trail.htm

We frequent the southern Everglades NP a lot, (paddling, pedaling or hiking) since where we are in key Largo and are only three quarters of an hour from there.
If you want a close encounter with a gator, the Anhinga Trail is the place to go. One day a few years ago, while we were walking on the pavement about an eight or nine foot gator was lying across it, blocking the way. People were stepping right over it's tail, and we even saw kids running up and touching it. I who has studied gators for many years, warned a parent that if the gator gets annoyed, it is going to snap as quick as you would swat a fly and someone is going to end up with a nasty gash or crushed arm.  The typical "modern day parent" didn't even warn the kids!

Jack L

Peggyy said:
We just got back from down there!  We stayed at lazy lakes cg.  I think it was $350 total for three nights. We had a site right on the lake.  Great location about 25 minutes from key west.  We also did collier seminole for everglades.  Really nice state park. You might be planning a bit early  have fun.

Which key is that on? Sounds like a great location.

You are not planning too far in advance.  The state parks in FLorida take reservations 11 months in advance so you are too late for next January! 

If you can get in one of the four state parks in the keys, the rates are more like $35 per night instead of over $100 per night.  And they all have views.

Back
Top Bottom