The lighter side of a colonoscopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of funny, a lot of real, all for an important health exam. But there are bad things that can happen.
My most recent involved what they called evolved/trapped gas after a routine colonoscopy.
1. The bad...about an hour after leaving hospital I started having the worse cramps and pain I can remember ever having. And it did not ease. After two hours I went to the ER, doubled over, cramped up and generally not in a good place. I have found that pain is not the priority in ERs, bleeding is.
2. The funny...After finally being seen by physician his treatment plan was to install another tube up the most direct route to the trapped gas and have me walk the hallways until pain eased. Step, toot, step toot for over an hour. Pain finally left along with the toots.
3. The real...nothing found in the exam...clear for another five years.
As another poster said... I will NOT have another unless than can guarantee NO TRAPPED GAS.

Ned said:
When I consulted with my GE about the colonoscopy I was just starting showing the symptoms of something else. He then added an endoscopy to follow the colonoscopy.  He found a tumor in advanced stage and biopsied it, is was cancer of the esophagus.
Has anyone heard from Ned? I see his post stopped shortly after this one. Hopefully he recovered but I haven't seen any updates. Just wondering.

Seon said:
Was it the result of the colonoscopy?

Deaths as a result of a colonoscopy are exceedingly rare. And since he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer following an endoscopy, I'd think it much more likely to be the cause. Esophageal cancer is very difficult to treat, and has only an 18% average 5-year survival rate. If the cancer has spread to other organs, the survival rate drops to 5%.

Here we go folks!
I know I started this thread. But I have to admit guilt about one thing...
At 58 YOA, I haven't had one yet. Something about "up periscope" never appealed to me as a fun time. I was always a believer of "exit only". And I thought it somewhat of a scam from the docs to make some money from unnecessary procedures. Insurance  is somewhat dicey on coverage for the procedure. Out of pocket cost if nothing is found.  Depends on what plan you are paying for.
No family history of any gastrointestinal problems at all. No personal issues regarding this. Just thought it time to get the plumbing checked out.

So now I have decided to go through the process and find out what the old septic tank looks like from the inside. Appointment made for May. That will get my regular doc off my "butt"!

Pics available upon request... $1.00 each.  ;) :eek: :eek: ;)   

A wise decision Mark.  Besides the procedure is child's play.  I never saw a thing (3 times - polyps each time).  The wife just had hers and watched it all in HD and she is the one who dreaded it(pre-cancerous large polyps) but is mighty happy now.        BUT - Beware of the prep!.....lol

Bill

Bill N said:
BUT - Beware of the prep!.....lol
Bill

Well aware of the prep. The DW has gone through it a few times. I drove home and listened to her babble the whole way.
As well as the bitching about running to the bathroom before the main event!
I already have the jug of the devil's solution sitting on the counter. I see it every day. I was wondering if there is some sort of training I should start. Kind of like what a marathon runner goes through before a big race.

I might need the advice about running. Unless I chose to just spend my time doing laundry the night before.

jackiemac said:
.......................... For your 50th birthday you get a kit to smear your poo on. Pop it in the post and get results back a week or so later. ..................

Does the post office know about this??  I would think there would have to be some bio-hazard sticker on the envelope or something  ???  I have to wonder if the mail service "stinks" over this ;D

_Rusty_ said:
Does the post office know about this??  I would think there would have to be some bio-hazard sticker on the envelope or something  ???

Indeed they do, the sample is returned inside a zip seal plastic bag inside another double plastic lined postage-paid mailer.  And yes, that little bit of poo is indeed prominently marked Bio-Hazard on each envelope.

I've had several and will be scheduled for another in the next few months. My neighbor and I were talking about this over a bonfire since she had just had hers done also, the funny thing is the notation towards the "bottom" of the report. On both of ours it says "anus is unremarkable", we laughed but I was the first one out with a comment, "see, I told you there was nothing special about your arse".

continuing to hope I am unremarkable!! ;D

I am scheduled for one in April. This will be 2nd one, first one I had to drink the gallon. For this one only miralax and gator ade day ahead. Will be interesting to see how it works. Sure better than the gallon

I'm scheduled (again) next week. The prep seems to be different (easier) these days with the Gatorade and miralax. Sure beats the old days being bungee corded to the elger for three days.....

Have you ever read Dave Barry's column on this topic?

Dave Barry is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humor columnist for the Miami Herald.

This is from newshound Dave Barry's colonoscopy journal:

I called my friend Andy Sable, a gastroenterologist, to make an appointment for a colonoscopy. A few days later, in his office, Andy showed me a color diagram of the colon, a lengthy organ that appears to go all over the place, at one point passing briefly through Minneapolis . Then Andy explained the colonoscopy procedure to me in a thorough, reassuring and patient manner. I nodded thoughtfully, but I didn't really hear anything he said, because my brain was shrieking, quote, 'HE'S GOING TO STICK A TUBE 17,000 FEET UP YOUR BEHIND!'

I left Andy's office with some written instructions, and a prescription for a product called 'MoviPrep,' which comes in a box large enough to hold a microwave oven. I will discuss MoviPrep in detail later; for now suffice it to say that we must never allow it to fall into the hands of America 's enemies. '

I spent the next several days productively sitting around being nervous. Then, on the day before my colonoscopy, I began my preparation. In accordance with my instructions, I didn't eat any solid food that day; all I had was chicken broth, which is basically water, only with less flavor. Then, in the evening, I took the MoviPrep. You mix two packets of powder together in a one-liter plastic jug, then you fill it with lukewarm water. (For those unfamiliar with the metric system, a liter is about 32 gallons.) Then you have to drink the whole jug. This takes about an hour, because MoviPrep tastes - and here I am being kind - like a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon.
The instructions for MoviPrep, clearly written by somebody with a great sense of humor, state that after you drink it, 'a loose, watery bowel movement may result.' This is kind of like saying that after you jump off your roof, you may experience contact with the ground.

MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to
be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space-shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.

After an action-packed evening, I finally got to sleep. The next morning my wife drove me to the clinic. I was very nervous.. Not only was I worried about the procedure, but I had been experiencing occasional return bouts of MoviPrep spurtage. I was thinking, 'What if I spurt on Andy?' How do you apologize to a friend for something like that? Flowers would not be enough.
At the clinic I had to sign many forms acknowledging that I understood and totally agreed with whatever the heck the forms said. Then they led me to a room full of other colonoscopy people, where I went inside a little curtained space and took off my clothes and put on one of those hospital garments designed by sadist perverts, the kind that, when you put it on, makes you feel even more naked than when you are actually naked.
Then a nurse named Eddie put a little needle in a vein in my left hand. Ordinarily I would have fainted, but Eddie was very good, and I was already lying down. Eddie also told me that some people put vodka in their MoviPrep. At first I was ticked off that I hadn't thought of this is, but then I pondered what would happen if you got yourself too tipsy to make it to the bathroom, so you were staggering around in full Fire Hose Mode. You would have no choice but to burn your house.

When everything was ready, Eddie wheeled me into the procedure room, where Andy was waiting with a nurse and an anesthesiologist. I did not see the 17,000-foot tube, but I knew Andy had it hidden around there somewhere. I was seriously nervous at this point. Andy had me roll over on my left side, and the anesthesiologist began hooking something up to the needle in my hand. There was music playing in the room, and I realized that the song was 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA. I remarked to Andy that, of all the songs that could be playing during this particular procedure, 'Dancing Queen' had to be the least appropriate.
'You want me to turn it up?' said Andy, from somewhere behind me. 'Ha ha,' I said. And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, ABBA was yelling 'Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine,' and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a very mellow mood. Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that It was all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never been prouder of an internal organ.

denmarc said:
Well aware of the prep. The DW has gone through it a few times. I drove home and listened to her babble the whole way.
As well as the bitching about running to the bathroom before the main event!
I already have the jug of the devil's solution sitting on the counter. I see it every day. I was wondering if there is some sort of training I should start. Kind of like what a marathon runner goes through before a big race.

I might need the advice about running. Unless I chose to just spend my time doing laundry the night before.

Vodka is a clear liquid. Wonder if you spiked the prep a tad would they notice.  Course that still doesn't eliminate the 'elimination' problem huh?...lol

_Rusty_ said:
Does the post office know about this??  I would think there would have to be some bio-hazard sticker on the envelope or something  ???  I have to wonder if the mail service "stinks" over this ;D

Wife just did that and got back results that said - Go do a Colonoscopy.  I can attest that the way this sample is mailed there is not much hope of anything being contaminated or stinking up the post office.  Quite a packing job they provide.

Bill

SeilerBird said:
I just got one a few weeks ago and mine was painful. Not the actual colonoscopy, but the IV. It took the nurse three times to get a vein. The first attempt was extremely painful. The second attempt was not as painful but the next week I had a purple hand.

I tell them upfront.  You have two tries to get this iv in.  If you cant do it in two tries, find someone who can.  I have had enough procedures to know some are better at it than others.

Bill N said:
Wife just did that and got back results that said - Go do a Colonoscopy.  I can attest that the way this sample is mailed there is not much hope of anything being contaminated or stinking up the post office.  Quite a packing job they provide.

Bill

Yep, my wife and I get the cards every year at the blood draw a week before our annual physicals. The return packaging follows all USPS regulations. I'm on a 10 year colonoscopy schedule, but it sure would be nice to be able to just mail that one in too!  ::) ;D

trdiller said:
I think the test you mention is for prostrate issues and not for colon cancer screening.

I've seen this test advertised a lot recently, and asked my doctor about it.
He said that it is ok if you have no other options and if you are low risk for colon cancer.
It is better to get the colonoscopy if at all possible.

I just had another colonoscopy since this thread was started.My fourth.Again they found some pre cancerous polyps the were not there three years ago.

For those that still are avoiding the colonoscopy, please reconsider.
I know several people, including my wife and possibly myself,that may not be here today if they had not done their routine colonoscopy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom