The mythical "under $10K" RV seen in the wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

Dan23

Today, parked along the highway with a for sale sign and the price of $5,500 in the front window was a, perhaps, early 1980s class C RV looking in pretty good condition, but I did not stop. A closer look might disappoint.

The overall length of the unit is perhaps 22 feet.

The general area of location is central Florida. If you are interested, I will look and get the contact info for you.

My 1994 Thor Residency (35' Class A) found its way into that category in August 2012 when I sold it for $8000.  ;)  I figured a realistic, reasonable price for the then-18-year-old RV would be the best way to sell quickly and fairly... and by golly, it worked! ;D

I don't think that's  bargain, nor is it all that rare. I see $5000-$8000 older class C's fairly regularly and RVTrader.com and similar sites are full of them.

Used RV owners who want to sell often do overprice their rigs, then a few months later, reality sets in and the rig becomes reasonably priced.

That being said, if you look hard, far and wide, there are plenty of used bargains out there under $10,000 that will definitely give you big bang for the small buck.

I bought my 15 year old Class C rig for cash to see if I liked RV-ing with a view towards trading up if I did and selling out if I didn't. I forgot to factor in option 3...

Option 3 being customize it and keep it! I've been living and traveling in it for 4 years now full time, I have no other home anywhere and I am thrilled with the end result. While many folks can't live in such a small space with a minimalist attitude, it has worked for me and I am plenty happy about it too.

Doing more with less!

I've actually only done small customizing projects, but I love my rig and everything works on it because I toil to maintain that goal for the sheer enjoyment.  My opinion is the manufacturers of many RV rigs have no idea what the end consumer wants and they don't plan accordingly. But everyone has their own idea of what's fun and comfy and affordable.

All my little customization projects have made it far more livable and efficient for me to enjoy in my day to day life. When I add up my cost plus repairs and upgrades whether I divide it by number of months using it or number of miles put on it, either way the cost  per mile or per month is amazingly low. The bankers haven't made one penny off me in payments and loans, so that's just more money for the gas kitty. An older rig has cheaper taxes and cheaper insurance, again more  money for the campground kitty.

When I have to repair something, I look at whether I want to repair with used or rebuilt parts or whether there is an attractive upgrade that would benefit me. Some money spent is of course, money down the drain, like re-attaching my poop tank or the expensive gasoline hose replacement that took forever to find a willing mechanic to even do the project! I say money down the drain, because it was funds spent to keep me functional but nothing I can really enjoy like a new bed.

New upgrades or parts mean I am now in a hybrid RV, it may be old, but there are a lot of new parts without the new rig costs. Astonishingly many owners sell their rigs after making numerous repairs because they are disgusted with the upkeep. The new owner of their old rig, gets the benefit of all their hard money spent that they didn't take time to enjoy. The owner before me, paid a fortune to fix certain things, that I am enjoying the full benefit of now.

As I write this, I am sitting in sunny Florida (72F today) in the dead of winter in a lovely park, right along side folks who spent 20 to 40 times what I did to get here.

Every time I go look at slightly newer or larger rigs, I become disgusted with the price and the lack of accouterments that make mine so fun and comfy.

I am getting ready to travel again soon, and I am stoked with happiness at the thought of wandering around this big beautiful world. I don't need something flashy and overpriced to show off to the Jone's.

I just want to wake up alive and enjoy this gorgeous planet.

Astonishingly many owners sell their rigs after making numerous repairs because they are disgusted with the upkeep.

You know, that works on trucks, too.  When I was in college I bought an old right hand drive Jeep van from a guy who bought it from the Post Office.  He used it to carry his band's equipment to gigs but it just cost too much to keep running.  During the year he owned it he had to replace the engine, transmission, brakes, battery and all 4 tires.  Then the radiator sprung a leak and as far as he was concerned that was the last straw - he just wanted to be rid of it.

I used it for transportation to and from school and as a quiet place to study between classes.  But the real reason I bought it was I had a job delivering newspapers to sales racks and those tubes you see under rural mailboxes, so the right hand drive meant I could just drive up and reach out the window instead of having to approach the mailboxes against traffic or slide across the seat to reach them.

I kept that van for 4 years and other than replacing the radiator, I didn't have to do anything to it except routine maintenance, then I sold it for more than I paid for it. 

Yeah, there are a lot of them out there.  Most are under-powered, with bad suspensions and a host of other problems.  Once in a blue moon you will run into a nice one that has been pampered and well maintained, but that is the exception and not the rule.  JM2C

If you go for that budget it's probably not a choice. If you have skills buy the under 10K motorhome. If you don't have those skills get a trailer and have one less drivetrain to worry about, and more house for your buck. Might have to trade a family car for a capable T/V. Lots of ways to go, even on a budget.

Bill

DearMissMermaid said:
Used RV owners who want to sell often do overprice their rigs, then a few months later, reality sets in and the rig becomes reasonably priced.

That being said, if you look hard, far and wide, there are plenty of used bargains out there under $10,000 that will definitely give you big bang for the small buck.

I bought my 15 year old Class C rig for cash to see if I liked RV-ing with a view towards trading up if I did and selling out if I didn't. I forgot to factor in option 3...

Option 3 being customize it and keep it! I've been living and traveling in it for 4 years now full time, I have no other home anywhere and I am thrilled with the end result. While many folks can't live in such a small space with a minimalist attitude, it has worked for me and I am plenty happy about it too.

Doing more with less!

I've actually only done small customizing projects, but I love my rig and everything works on it because I toil to maintain that goal for the sheer enjoyment.  My opinion is the manufacturers of many RV rigs have no idea what the end consumer wants and they don't plan accordingly. But everyone has their own idea of what's fun and comfy and affordable.

All my little customization projects have made it far more livable and efficient for me to enjoy in my day to day life. When I add up my cost plus repairs and upgrades whether I divide it by number of months using it or number of miles put on it, either way the cost  per mile or per month is amazingly low. The bankers haven't made one penny off me in payments and loans, so that's just more money for the gas kitty. An older rig has cheaper taxes and cheaper insurance, again more  money for the campground kitty.

When I have to repair something, I look at whether I want to repair with used or rebuilt parts or whether there is an attractive upgrade that would benefit me. Some money spent is of course, money down the drain, like re-attaching my poop tank or the expensive gasoline hose replacement that took forever to find a willing mechanic to even do the project! I say money down the drain, because it was funds spent to keep me functional but nothing I can really enjoy like a new bed.

New upgrades or parts mean I am now in a hybrid RV, it may be old, but there are a lot of new parts without the new rig costs. Astonishingly many owners sell their rigs after making numerous repairs because they are disgusted with the upkeep. The new owner of their old rig, gets the benefit of all their hard money spent that they didn't take time to enjoy. The owner before me, paid a fortune to fix certain things, that I am enjoying the full benefit of now.

As I write this, I am sitting in sunny Florida (72F today) in the dead of winter in a lovely park, right along side folks who spent 20 to 40 times what I did to get here.

Every time I go look at slightly newer or larger rigs, I become disgusted with the price and the lack of accouterments that make mine so fun and comfy.

I am getting ready to travel again soon, and I am stoked with happiness at the thought of wandering around this big beautiful world. I don't need something flashy and overpriced to show off to the Jone's.

I just want to wake up alive and enjoy this gorgeous planet.

Im sorry for not replying to the thread but rather to you personally. But I would like to know what a class C is like. Comfortable? Space? I am looking for a full time residence RV just like you are doing. Only I am wondering which class and which make of RV to get. Can you help me out? 15,000 budget...

Staff edit: Fix broken close quote tag

That will be us when we finally sell.  Have done a lot of stuff to the coach, mainly maintenance to the engine and tranny. tranny fluid and filter changes only, engine new hoses, filters, things like that nothing major.  The generator did have to have a leaking piece up top replaced and Tom put on a new radiator fan, she now purrs along.  The 6 new tires were a budget breaker and the new fridge this year, ouch.  but each time its an improvement that won't have to be done for years and years. I have 2 new chassis batteries, I'm going to have my coach batteries checked this year, don't know the age but want to be proactive.

Right now my next fix is a new fresh water tank, really unhandy without it, the water heater was fixed too, just like new, its like the new electronic ones now with the old tank only. 

I have a list of upgrades and fixes we have done and keep all the records in the one maintenance book with dates.  I hope even though the coach is ancient we can recoup some money when we sell it one day.  A lot of the money is ok because its the enjoyment of it and I'm not through using it yet. We definitely will not make a profit, never expected to, just hope to recoup some money is all.

The unit is a 1986 model, ford powered, and pacing it off it measured 22 feet. 86k miles. Tires look decent but I did not check their age.; but for $5 grand it appeared usable.

Dan23 said:
The unit is a 1986 model, ford powered, and pacing it off it measured 22 feet. 86k miles. Tires look decent but I did not check their age.; but for $5 grand it appeared usable.
The most important thing Dan is the floorplan. If you love the floorplan then go for it. Do a search on tire date codes and check the date codes on all six tires. If they are less than 7 years old you are good to go. If not then offer him less because you will have to buy tires immediately. RV tires have a life of 7 years regardless of tread wear.

SeilerBird said:
The most important thing Dan is the floorplan.

I'm not looking for that sort of RV and I already have one anyway. I posted this both to help someone who might be looking but also because in at least one other thread where someone asked about spending under $10k on an RV the claim was made that it would be very unlikely that someone could actually do that. See, that's the "mythical" part.  ;)

For $5k, another $5k could be spent on getting it roadworthy. I think this one is probably roadworthy right now.

I'm pretty sure it's now been proven possible.

Dan23 said:
I...the claim was made that it would be very unlikely that someone could actually do that. See, that's the "mythical" part.  ;)
I don't really see it as a myth if one person makes one off hand remark. I my last RV before my present one cost me $2600. I put about $2000 into it and used it for two years full time with very few problems. I have discussed both of my mythical RVs on this board in the past so whomever made the remark doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no myth.

GavinHardison said:
Im sorry for not replying to the thread but rather to you personally. But I would like to know what a class C is like. Comfortable? Space? I am looking for a full time residence RV just like you are doing. Only I am wondering which class and which make of RV to get. Can you help me out? 15,000 budget...

Staff edit: Fix broken close quote tag

It's hard to pick out a rig for somebody else, but in my case, I was willing to live minimalist in order to enjoy a cash rig without payments while I sussed out whether I loved or hated this lifestyle. For me I preferred a Class C because they are generally simpler to maintain.  I also wanted the spare bunk over the cab for a friend to hop aboard and have comfy sleeping.

I loved my layout because it suited my lifestyle. I wanted a workable galley because I very rarely ever dine out, preferring to cook my own food and save the cash for the gas tank and campgrounds. I use my dining booth as a desk or dining, but I shortened the table to give the illusion of more room.  Mine didn't come with as much storage outside as I had hoped for, because I like to travel with "patio" accouterments to enjoy the outdoors. Even though I am single, I travel with extra chairs of all different types. Not only does this spoil me to have chairs to choose from for comfort, it encourages company to stop by and visit.

I ended up adding a cargo carrier out back (I don't tow a car) so that I had plenty of room for tool and stuff. I built my own bicycle rack out of two ladder chair holders that ride on the bumper, holding the bike.

I keep my clothes paired down, so that they all fit in the small closet and drawers. I do however utilize storage cabinets for extra pantry, so that I have spare foods and don't have to rush out to the store. It takes a bit more planning and organizing to live in a small rig fulltime, but I love it!  I don't even have any slides, while I would enjoy the extra room, at least it's been one less thing to repair.

There are NO rules when it comes to what's up for sale in a given area when it comes to used rigs. Just look far and wide at all the ads and used dealer lots. There are wonderful bargains out there if you look around. Because so many folks refuse to own used older rigs, it has driven the price down, so that you very often can get a big bang for the buck if you are flexible.

Some people expect to buy an older rig and have it look like the latest thing... with modern decor. Older decor doesn't make it bad, just means you want to savor the retro look. RV manufacturers want their rigs to look dated so that they can keep selling brand new ones.

I have friends who stumbled into a whale of a deal on an 80's coach that has gold and brown plaids with thick shag carpet. Sure the decor looks dated, but it hasn't stopped that 3 generation family from having loads of fun in it all over creation. It was in great shape (the decor) so they just kept it as is and keep on partying and camping.  Because theirs was a high end coach in its heyday, they are treated to all sorts of interesting amenities, some not seen anymore, but still pretty functional for them.

SeilerBird said:
I have discussed both of my mythical RVs on this board in the past so whomever made the remark doesn't know what he is talking about. There is no myth.

Who ever.

What ever.

LOL

donandmax said:

Tell the guy who bought it two weeks ago.

This thread is a month old and you revived it to say "Me, too." ? ? ?

This is the first time I have seen one of these.  I thought anything with 6 cylinders would have to be a Toyota.  I was wrong.

http://houston.craigslist.org/rvs/4395904521.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom