The new desert Jeep!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
After much thought and discussion I decided to sell the boat as we just were not using it. I used the funds to buy a 2001 Jeep Wrangler sport. We have really needed a vehicle to use as a second car while in Havasu, and I contemplated buying a Razor for a while. While the Razor would work for that as many in town use them for that purpose, a lot of research and shopping proved that it would not be as practical for us.

The lack of space inside, significant maintenance (my BIL bought a new one, and the maintenance is regular and pricey) and the fact that in the warmer weather it gets down right toasty driving it around. Diane also wasn't crazy about the noise, and we also wanted another desert vehicle to run trails and go exploring.

So the Jeep made sense for us. Since the purchase I have added a 4" suspension lift with dual rate springs, replaced the old fenders, seat belts, and a new dash radio. It is a 3 speed automatic and the factory A/C still works. It's a soft top with hard doors, and the previous owner just had $2600 in maintenance done. The 33" tires and wheels are new, as are the front and rear bumpers and a winch. The high lift jack also came with it.

We have been out a few times and it rides pretty well for a short wheel base Jeep, and the new springs made a big difference in the trail manners. Airing down is a must though. And I have to admit, driving it around town is a hoot. And best of all it cost me about 1/2 of what a used Razor was priced at. And If I ding it or get some desert pin stripes, it just adds to the coolness.

And I am less likely to beat up the Sahara, our daily driver. So we are a now a 2 Jeep family!
Jeep TJ 2 20220319.jpg
Jeep TJ.jpg

Jeeps are addictive.. I recall one of my Biology professors (He was my Lag proff) he has multiple jeeps and other cars.. he said if he had to get rid of all but the number of jeeps he has he'd keep the jeeps. Some fellow physics students wanted the afternoon lab cancelled due to bad roads (they had all been cleared by noon) and I Gee.. i got here at7:30 same as always (Covered with a quarter inch of ice.> I crackled as I moved. but it was my usual arrival time.. Freezing rain) They reminded me I walked... I told 'em Mr. Thompson (Bio proff) was there smoking his pipe at 7:30 same as always... "Well he likely lives across the street" (Good hour's drive) The Physics proff provided his city of residence (I've been past his house.. Did not stop) My fellow students were at a loss till I told them what he drove.

Now I drive a Jeep (Cherokee latitude 2014) 20-30-40 MPG depending on speeds thanks to that 9 speed slush box... 20+over all and 75mph freeway 30 at 65 40 at 55. WOW.

After much thought and discussion I decided to sell the boat as we just were not using it. I used the funds to buy a 2001 Jeep Wrangler sport. We have really needed a vehicle to use as a second car while in Havasu, and I contemplated buying a Razor for a while. While the Razor would work for that as many in town use them for that purpose, a lot of research and shopping proved that it would not be as practical for us.

The lack of space inside, significant maintenance (my BIL bought a new one, and the maintenance is regular and pricey) and the fact that in the warmer weather it gets down right toasty driving it around. Diane also wasn't crazy about the noise, and we also wanted another desert vehicle to run trails and go exploring.

So the Jeep made sense for us. Since the purchase I have added a 4" suspension lift with dual rate springs, replaced the old fenders, seat belts, and a new dash radio. It is a 3 speed automatic and the factory A/C still works. It's a soft top with hard doors, and the previous owner just had $2600 in maintenance done. The 33" tires and wheels are new, as are the front and rear bumpers and a winch. The high lift jack also came with it.

We have been out a few times and it rides pretty well for a short wheel base Jeep, and the new springs made a big difference in the trail manners. Airing down is a must though. And I have to admit, driving it around town is a hoot. And best of all it cost me about 1/2 of what a used Razor was priced at. And If I ding it or get some desert pin stripes, it just adds to the coolness.

And I am less likely to beat up the Sahara, our daily driver. So we are a now a 2 Jeep family!
View attachment 152779
View attachment 152780

Nice looking Jeep. Want a factory hard top for it? I have one in storage (inside) in Quartzsite. I'll be back there in either November or January and we could do some trails.

Physically it'll bolt right up. The only issue is that they moved the cabin vents from the C-pillar on the top to the back of the tailgate in '03. If you get in the habit of rolling the window down 1/4" or so before you shut the door, it's a non-issue.
Here's a thread over on JeepForum that highlights a couple of other differences (yes, I use Old Crow over there, too):

My top has the dark tinted glass, the rear defroster grid and rear wiper. There's plenty of info on making that stuff work if you care.
I also have new mounting hardware and a seal kit to go with it. I had planned to take it off and reseal it, but when my wife passed away, I opted for the Bestop NX TrekTop soft top instead.

I'm currently planning to go back to Arkansas in Nov and Dec for some family time with my kids over the holidays and some medical stuff. Nov and Dec back there are usually pretty nice, but I can almost guarantee that I'll leave for Arizona in early January when the real crappy weather hits.

Nice get and great mods.

What's the attachment on the passenger side? Oh... Never mind. I see it's a jack. IN the one photo it has a "tree" growing out of it and I got confused.

I would love to get a 50's Willys. The owner of my last RV park had one. Korea vintage.

I have enough problems getting in the thing that I didn't want more lift. Mine is a Sahara, so it came with 30" tires. I went to 31's and aftermarket wheels. Then I added the fenders (not that I really needed them).
I have a louver plate for the hood, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. My hood and cowl panel are extremely sunburned and the clear is gone. I was just going to spray can the visible portions of the hood when I put the louvers on but came up with the idea of using a wrap on the hood and cowl panel. I think I will get the black carbon fiber pattern wrap and do both pieces, then put the louver panel over the top of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom