The Right Truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
Well Bill I think the guy is blowing a lot of smoke since RVers to have to comply with the state laws and can be exposed to serious liability issues if in an accident while driving a rig that exceeds the manufacturers weight limits. I know of such a case where the individual was going to court for being 2000 lbs over on the rear axle.  Aweigh we Go found many RVs were over weight.  Over weight limits is a serious issue that affects the safety of us all.

Ron

I only found one comment to quibble with, "As an RVer you don't have to worry about exceeding the 20K single axle, 34K tandem axle, and 80K gross." We got weighed yesterday (a nice truck rest stop at a Kentucky weigh station and our rear axle was just under 20K#s. If the coach keeps putting on weight like it has (up 2K#s since it was last weighed) I could be over in a couple of years. I can't figure out how it gained so much weight :-\ :'(

But really, the issue is that you are confusing legal limits and structural limits. The commander was addressing legal limits, those for which you could receive a citation. We have all been concerned with structural limits, how heavy a load you can carry without exceeding the engineered limits of the components of your rig. You can have an overloaded rig without being legally overweight.

BernieD said:
Ron

I only found one comment to quibble with, "As an RVer you don't have to worry about exceeding the 20K single axle, 34K tandem axle, and 80K gross."

I know of at least one RVer that wishes that was correct.  In the case I am refering to the sticker on his coach indicated the rear axle was rated for 27000lbs  All but nine states the single axle limit is 20K.  When he was in an accident and he offered his weight ticket to show he was within his weight limits (he was 24000 LBS) this was recorded on the report and he became a contributer to the accident instead of the guy that just happened to be there when the other care falled to stop.

I have talked to a few state DMVs and researching this and all indicated that all vehicles on the road are subject to the states weight limits.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom