The Truth about Towing Limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KandT said:
The other thing to consider from an engine standpoint is that they are not putting those V6's with lots of torque and HP in their e450's or F53's yet.  I believe the eco boosts are rated for more hp and torque than their V10 so why not put it in the moho's??  Probably because they aren't confident they will pull all day everyday like the v10 will.  Just a guess though.

Research all the Ecoboost problems and one can fairly deduce why they don't. And, you're on the right trail, sir.

ducnut said:
Research all the Ecoboost problems and one can fairly deduce why they don't. And, you're on the right trail, sir.

Next time you are out count the number of f150's you see and the number with anything over a 2X4 in them.  I had one and they are fantastic trucks - I loved mine.  They just aren't made for pulling that kind of weight - just look at the rear springs.

First, thank you for asking.

You need about 3,000# of payload - 2300# pin wt, 200# FW hitch, 500# Passengers and cargo.

A special order F150 XL with regular cab, long bed, High Capacity Payload Package (HCPP) may handle the load, but you will not find one on the lot!

Very few F250 will have this much payload, and they will have very few options or comfort features.

F350 SRW will handle the load.  The truck in my sig has a 3453# payload, and it is very comfortably equipped.

Look used, and you can save a bundle.

Ford uses a 15% pin weight for rating their towing capacity but in real life a typical rear living room 5er will have a 22 to 24 percent pin weight. What I do is figure what the dry percentage pin weight and since most of the storage in a typical 5er is forward of the axles I add 2 or 3 percent to that number.  I know on 30 day trip we add about 1500 pounds and short trip around 1200 pounds an add that to the dry 5er weight times the percentage I got from above.

I know that my B&W hitch, my wife, me and stuff in the truck comes to about 650 pounds so I subtract that from the yellow sticker.  What is left over has to be greater then the pin weight above. 

Welcome to the world of RV and this forum.

No way you can handle it with a F150, maybe a F250 but doubtful, a F350SRW will be fine. 

Dont be afraid of buying a 3/4 (2500) series or 3500 series truck as a daily driver they are both really comfortable and a pleasure to drive ive done so for years. They can be a little hard on fuel and i drive about 30,000 miles a year so i picked up a little Ford Escape for daily use

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom