The two happiest days......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebelsun

......of a boat owner, or RV owners life, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it!
For the past several weeks, I've been contemplating listing my RV.  Last weekend (1/31/16), I put it on Craigslist and RVT.com. 
I sold it today for full price from my Craigslist ad.

It's been fun, but I have several other interests, and decided it was time to focus more energy on the things I enjoy the most, and to cut out the things I enjoy less.  RVing didn't make the cut.  Although I like camping, I found I could do without the things I didn't enjoy, that is, being the owner of an RV.
I made this same decision when I sold my second home on Cape Cod, Ma., two years ago, and when I sold my boat, 15 years ago, and have not looked back, or regretted either decision.

I will miss camping, but I can still rent a cabin in the woods, for a camping vacation, go on Cruises, drive or fly to any destination accessible by road, sea, or air, and rent a furnished rental, or a hotel room for the length of our stay, without the stress (or expense) of being an RV owner.

As I said, when I sold my boat, it was supposed to be a Pleasure Craft, when I stopped finding it Pleasurable, I sold it.  The same thing happened with my "Land Yacht".

For those of you, who enjoy the open road, where the journey is as or more important than the destination, and enjoy being an RV owner, happy trails, and lots of enjoyment in your future endeavors.

Paul

Paul,

If you are doing what YOU  love, you fulfill the mantra.  I can give you my opinion, but only you can decide what is right for you.

Stay in touch!

Congratulations on the sale and good luck with the new/future lifestyle.

Paul, RVing means different things to different people. It's not a cheap hobby at any rate. We tried the CG and towing thing for a few years. Didn't appeal to us. But we loved having a place to go to get our heads screwed on straight after a long week of working. So we bought our own "campground". We then found our sanctuary.

Best of luck to you. You will find yours.

Best of luck to you. I can understand where you're coming from. We are wrestling with some of the same thoughts. We aren't there yet, but are wondering if we shouldn't follow the same path as you. I'm realizing that the journey isn't really what we enjoy. We seem to be more destination driven and wonder if we would be happier to simply drive to a destination and let someone else worry about the maintenance and cleaning once the trip is over. Anyway, you stated it well. Congrats on your quick sale.

Thanks one and all.  It was a difficult decision, but we have only been into the camping lifestyle for 3 years.  When I was younger, camping was something you did in a tent, sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag.  Today though, that would be very uncomfortable at the very least, and nearly impossible for practical purposes, because of the ravages of "middle age" (I guess I'm expected to live to be over 125 yrs. old, if I'm considered to be middle age).
In any event, you won't find me sitting in my rocking chair on the front porch, or going to Bingo night at the senior center, I will remain active, just at a little slower speed, than I was a decade ago.

Dance Chick said:
Best of luck to you. I can understand where you're coming from. We are wrestling with some of the same thoughts. We aren't there yet, but are wondering if we shouldn't follow the same path as you. I'm realizing that the journey isn't really what we enjoy. We seem to be more destination driven and wonder if we would be happier to simply drive to a destination and let someone else worry about the maintenance and cleaning once the trip is over. Anyway, you stated it well. Congrats on your quick sale.
Best of luck in making your decision, and if you decide to sell, I hope you're able to find buyers as quickly as I did.  Just be prepared for the scams....I had many.....probably three for every one person who was legitimately interested in buying my RV.  I was offered cars, trucks, real estate, motorcycles, lottery winnings, and yes, the offers from out of country buyers, offering more than the asking price.
I am destination driven as well, so after considerable thought, and conversation, we came to that same conclusion, to let someone else worry about the maintenance, as well as the expenses involved. 
Just remember, it doesn't make you a bad person to change paths.  Not everyone is cut out for certain things.  Personally I enjoy my motorcycle more than RVing, but I know a lot of people who wouldn't get on a bike if you put a gun to their head, but would go camping every weekend, or live full-time in a Motorhome.  It's strictly a personal choice, and everyone is different.  That's what makes life so interesting.  It would be a very boring place, if everyone was the same as everyone else, and everyone liked or disliked all the same things.

denmarc said:
Paul, RVing means different things to different people. It's not a cheap hobby at any rate. We tried the CG and towing thing for a few years. Didn't appeal to us. But we loved having a place to go to get our heads screwed on straight after a long week of working. So we bought our own "campground". We then found our sanctuary.

Best of luck to you. You will find yours.
My/our sanctuary is right here at home.  We live in a quiet place, with lots of room between us and our neighbors.  That was one of the issues of camping, paying to stay at a campground, so close to neighbors, that you could hear them snore or argue in the next RV over, or even two over, sometimes!
I'm glad you were able to get you're heads screwed on straight, and you have found your sanctuary.

rebelsun said:
We live in a quiet place, with lots of room between us and our neighbors.  That was one of the issues of camping, paying to stay at a campground, so close to neighbors, that you could hear them snore or argue in the next RV over, or even two over, sometimes!

Don't get me wrong...
Ever hear a couple of raccoons fighting over a fish from the river, or a Screech Owl flying past your bedroom window in the middle of the night? That will make you sit up in bed wondering if they are in the room with you!    :eek:

You sound as if you're on the right track. You can always say you gave it a good try.
You'll do just fine. Have fun and enjoy life. That's what it's all about.

rebelsun said:
As I said, when I sold my boat, it was supposed to be a Pleasure Craft, when I stopped finding it Pleasurable, I sold it.
I sold my boat when, instead of looking at all the boats in the marina and seeing romantic dreams of crossing oceans, all I saw were maintenance projects

Rebel, been there and back.  Have thought several times about giving up the lifestyle.  Unlike you, not sure what I'd do with all the time I'd have to tinker.  Not much into fixing the house anymore and never been a boating enthusiast.  For us, RVing is about seeing the country.  We don't stay in one place much.  Even when we're not RVing, we're out driving around in the SUV.  Sometime 3 to 400 miles in a day.  Remember you can always get back into the lifestyle.  And we'd welcome you and your input back in a heartbeat.  Best to you in your future endeavors. 

Gary

Congrats on the sale.  And you're right....unless you're doing it constantly, you can still find time at your favorite spot by renting a cabin for less money than owning an RV.  And truly....you never really own an RV....they own you.

And hey....if you change your mind, you can always buy another one.....we will still be here!  :)

Punomatic said:
I sold my boat when, instead of looking at all the boats in the marina and seeing romantic dreams of crossing oceans, all I saw were maintenance projects
That was exactly what I saw and experienced with my boat, then again with the RV!
Frizlefrak said:
Congrats on the sale.  And you're right....unless you're doing it constantly, you can still find time at your favorite spot by renting a cabin for less money than owning an RV.  And truly....you never really own an RV....they own you.

And hey....if you change your mind, you can always buy another one.....we will still be here!  :)
That will be one of the things I WILL miss about RVing, the camaraderie among fellow RVers.
garyb1st said:
Rebel, been there and back.  Have thought several times about giving up the lifestyle.  Unlike you, not sure what I'd do with all the time I'd have to tinker.  Not much into fixing the house anymore and never been a boating enthusiast.  For us, RVing is about seeing the country.  We don't stay in one place much.  Even when we're not RVing, we're out driving around in the SUV.  Sometime 3 to 400 miles in a day.  Remember you can always get back into the lifestyle.  And we'd welcome you and your input back in a heartbeat.  Best to you in your future endeavors. 

Gary
I'm sure I'll find something to fill in the gap, and if I don't someone else will, and it will appear on my HONEY DO list....lol 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom