The West Coast with the Wishard"s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  After having my spell check proof read the above statement, she is laying on the floor still laughing about that crap. Dang!!! I thought  you was thinking that country boy from Texas couldn't spell Dungeness. So what the crap is the problem. It's not a slip of the finger because the p and the b is 4 spaces down from each other and on different lines. Blame in on a brain fart or an old fart.

After last nights crab dinner we woke up to our first rain on the coast. We had lunch at the Harbor Light Restaurant in Reedsport. Or. Some of the best Clam Chowder we have ever eaten. Then off to the Reedsport Chainsaw Championships. Some of the worlds best chainsaw artist from all over the world. Today was the first day of the event and I hope we get back before it ends by Sunday. Here are a few pics and I will try to post the finished product later.

Attachments

• Chainsaw Championship 001.JPG
    Chainsaw Championship 001.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Chainsaw Championship 003.JPG
    Chainsaw Championship 003.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Chainsaw Championship 004.JPG
    Chainsaw Championship 004.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Chainsaw Championship 005.JPG
    Chainsaw Championship 005.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Chainsaw Championship 007.JPG
    Chainsaw Championship 007.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 32
  • crab for supper 004.JPG
    crab for supper 004.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 31
Well, you all are missing the best part of Campbell River, Samsun Narrows, Vancouver, LaConnor, Anacortes, San Juan Island and all the other places mentioned because you're seeing it from the land side. From the water side is MUCH better. We're in Poulsbo for Fathers Day but will be headed north in the boat right after the 4th and come home around Labor Day.

Seeing where Ripple Rock was is nice, passing over it is better. When you eat in LaConnor everyone likes to look at the slough, it's better to boat thru the slough and wave at the people in the restaurant. From the Anacortes ferry dock to Friday Harbor on SJ Island is a 2.5 hour trip on a trawler and takes less than 6 gallons of fuel, so what, $24.00? And you have your bed and bath right with you.

If you enjoy being on the water there is no place better than the Puget Sound in the summer. Beg, borrow or steal, but get on a boat and enjoy the other side of all the great places to see. And there is nothing better than crab that was on the ocean floor 20 minutes before you eat it. Then you can tell the Pike Place Market boys that you've had fresh crab and theirs isn't it.

Ken

Ken

We have friends from the Seattle area that feel exactly as you do. While they were working they used to get as far north as Prince Rupert, now it is Alaska.

Ken, Our "on the water" will probably be limited on one excursion out of either Anacortes or Seattle. Oh, plus at least 8 ferry rides, 4 with the motorhome and 4 with the car.

Henry, why did you choose the Lighthouse CG over being down by the water?
The Chainsaw curving championships looks like a lot of fun to see.

ken

Buck2 has a great trip planned and still don't know why he didn't wait on me to show up in Washington. We love the water and have lived on the water all our lives. As for staying at the Lighthouse over the wharf when we arrived the wind was blowing 30 miles an hour an this is as far as we drove. Next morning we jumped in the Jeep and drove down the hill to discover all the boats and restaurants. Next time we will know better and there will be a next.

Today we went back to the chainsaw Championship in Reedsport to see how they have come along on their projects. Also visited a lighthouse here at the State Park. Yesterday was a dreary day and today the sun is out bright. We will be moving tomorrow for a few days in Florence.

Attachments

• Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 014.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 014.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 005.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 005.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 007.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 007.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 008.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 008.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 024.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 024.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 026.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 026.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 029.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 029.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 030.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 030.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 19
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 032.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 032.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 034.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 034.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 003.JPG
    Oregon Chainsaw Carvers 003.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 23
Great chainsaw sculptures, Henry!  Thanks for sharing the before and after photos.  I'm always amazed when I see some of the intricate details these people contrive with a chainsaw!

ArdraF

Thanks Ardra, we even went back later that evening to view them again. Today I am giving crabbing a try at the public pier here in Newport. We are staying a few days at South Beach State Park site F- 1 .This is a very nice park with several hundred spaces.
  Tomorrow we move on the bay at Port of New Port RV Park. The rates are $212.39 for the week. They do have State and City taxes. $20.18 included in the above price. We went to the Aquarium yesterday. Well worth the $17.95 old folks price.
Anyway I am off to the pier to crab.

Today was a good day at the docks. Caught 6 Dungeness crab and 12 rock crab.Boy they were good for dinner. I guess I am talking to myself since I have no replies. 

Attachments

• Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 021.JPG
    Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 021.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 25
  • Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 024.JPG
    Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 024.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 022.JPG
    Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 022.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 019.JPG
    Crabbing In New Port 6-19-14 019.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 23
Henry Wishard said:
    I guess I am talking to myself since I have no replies.

Some of us  are just very good listeners.  Keep those stories coming.  I think you are proving yourself to be quite the fisherman!

Henry:
  We are thinking about making some reservations somewhere on the south Oregon coast for a couple of days prior to the FMCA rally in Redmond.  Dee has never been to Oregon.  We already have 2 days booked at Crater Lake, but we're trying to squeeze in a couple days at the coast.  Of the places you've stayed at, which would you recommend for a 2 or 3 day visit to the coast?

Steve

Henry,

We've stayed at both South beach and New Port RV Park. Enjoyed them both.

Glad you're having a good time. We're headed back to the US today from Victoria BC. Taking the Ferry from Sidney, BC to Anacortes, WA

We have really enjoyed Vancouver island and will certainly return.

ken

Steve, I am at the South Beach State park here in Newport. For a couple of days it would be great. you can walk out to the beach and the jetties. They have electrical and water sites. Beautiful park! We are moving today about 2 miles north to the Port of Newport RV and Marina. The # for them is 541-867-3321. If you don't want to come this far north try Harris Beach State Park in Brookings. Try site A-20 you will be looking over the ocean. If you can't get A-20 anything from A-18 thur A-25 is good.
  Ken is definitely right. You can't miss in Newport. 

Henry Wishard said:
  Today was a good day at the docks. Caught 6 Dungeness crab and 12 rock crab.Boy they were good for dinner. I guess I am talking to myself since I have no replies.

I am enjoying your travels, we are traveling to Oregon again in July and you've been giving us some great ideas of places to go and things to do.

Thanks Mike, if you get a chance go on Jerry's Jet Boat rides. That was a fun day. Here in Newport you can crab off the public pier. Crabbing license is $20.00 good for a year and you can buy crab pots for $20.00 each at Walmart.

Henry Wishard said:
I guess I am talking to myself since I have no replies.
My guess is that about 90% of the people who read a post on a forum don't respond to the post. For example, I post my best twenty or thirty photos from last month on the first of the month. Usually I get five to ten replies telling me that they enjoyed my photos. Right now the May photos have around 200 to 300 views for each shot.

Tom, you are right.I guess I was spoiled from last years Alaska post. Thanks for the encouragement.

Don't worry, Henry, we're still out here but as Betty says "listening" instead of talking!  ;) I'll bet those crabs were wonderful!  The best shrimp we ever had was in Alaska when we were on a tour boat that was near a shrimper and we all bought some right there on the water.  We cooked the whole bag that night and they were superb!

ArdraF

There have been almost 900 views of this topic, and nearly 60 replies, although that inccludes Henry's own posts.

I'm enjoying following/reading along and viewing the photos.

Back
Top Bottom