The Winter that Never Ends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ppet

Newbie with a 2015 Tiffin 36LA.  We just had it dewinterized and are storing it outside.  Temperatures in Pittsburgh area are due to drop to 28 late this week.  What do I need to do to prevent any damage???

28 should not be a problem, if that's the overnight low.  It takes more than a few hours below freezing to cause problems.  If concerned it might get colder, you can drain the water heater again, or simply heat it up in the evening and it will stay well above freezing all night.  Leave the furnace on in the coach at its lowest setting.

The water heater is the area to be the least concerned about. It will take an insulated six-gallon container full of water a long time to freeze. Pay attention to any plumbing that is exposed to outside temperatures, but overnight in the high 20s shouldn't be a problem as long as it warms up during the day.

You also might crack open some cabinet doors that could allow warmth into areas where the water pipes are located.

ArdraF

I chose to re-winterize in a hotel parking lot in Ohio on our trip home from Florida. Our lows have been in the low 20s with highs in the low 30s. Didn't want to risk it.

Alpena Jeff said:
I chose to re-winterize in a hotel parking lot in Ohio on our trip home from Florida. Our lows have been in the low 20s with highs in the low 30s. Didn't want to risk it.

I read where you HAD it dewinterized or "summerized" as I like to call it.  I live in PA as well and if you are going to use it in the spring and fall just learn to winter and summer ize it yourself. 

I have done it at rest areas and parking lots driving back from Florida.  It is no big deal and especially with a modern Tiffan.  My wife and I can do it in maybe 10 minutes plus the washer/druer but we do that the night before we leave.

KandT said:
I read where you HAD it dewinterized or "summerized" as I like to call it.  I live in PA as well and if you are going to use it in the spring and fall just learn to winter and summer ize it yourself. 

I have done it at rest areas and parking lots driving back from Florida.  It is no big deal and especially with a modern Tiffan.  My wife and I can do it in maybe 10 minutes plus the washer/druer but we do that the night before we leave.
I have never paid for this process.
We bought the coach last fall and I winterized it shortly thereafter. I summerized it somewhere around Nashville on our way south late February. Then I just re-winterized 10 days ago in Ohio.
I'm getting pretty good at at! ;)

Yesterday AM Looking at the anticipatred weather and still being on the road I drained the water heater. Everything else is frost protected but unless I run the thing the water heater is not.  (The night before I fed it electricty to prevent freeezing)  Finally about 5PM I puleld into my campground.. and there is snow on the ground and more expected.

But I:m on a 50 amp site, Have not restored the Water heater yet..  But at least it is Freeze proof (EMPTY)

John From Detroit said:
Yesterday AM Looking at the anticipatred weather and still being on the road I drained the water heater. Everything else is frost protected but unless I run the thing the water heater is not.  (The night before I fed it electricty to prevent freeezing)  Finally about 5PM I puleld into my campground.. and there is snow on the ground and more expected.

But I:m on a 50 amp site, Have not restored the Water heater yet..  But at least it is Freeze proof (EMPTY)

Had you left the water heater full, the water inside still would have been warm at 5:00 pm.

My sister mentioned to me that yesterday was JANUARY 107th (here in PA).  Had to think about it for a bit before I figured out what she meant.

I saw yesterday they arrested and handcuffed a Weather Man in Iowa WHILE ON AIR for failure to correctly forecast spring weather!  Rumors are he was set up by the news crew.

We got snowed on in Jackson California.  It didn't stick but one of my friends observed that it's now the 98th day of January.

_Rusty_ said:
My sister mentioned to me that yesterday was JANUARY 107th (here in PA).  Had to think about it for a bit before I figured out what she meant.
;D ;D :D :D
Montana finally has spring!  Sorry to all you still suffering.  But there is still plenty of snow in the Mountains ready to run off and engorge our rivers.

Back
Top Bottom