The World's Fastest Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I missed it too, it must be like the fart cannon exhaust they put on toyotas and civics. A full paycheck, weekend off and nuttin to do.

R1Kirby said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but what the point of doing 102.7 mph in a motorhome?

I'm right with you... I don't see the point in it... I thought the whole idea of a RV is to slow down and relax not try to make speed records...

I rather see people compete on good of MPG's they can pull out of there RV's...

I guess I never paid attention while tire shopping, but they must sell S rated tires to fit RV's.

As to the question of "WHY?"

For the same reason the Terra Wind exists.

As mentioned previously, 100+ in a vehicle specifically designed to go that fast... Pretty cool.
Anything over maybe 70 or 75 just to keep up with traffic... Forget it. I don't see any reason to risk it, especially after experiencing a catastrophic tire loss on I-95 at about 70 MPH. Disney himself couldn't build a ride like that.

:eek: I just bet that got your attention in a hurry. There was a time when I would have enjoyed an adrenaline rush like that but fear and common sense (plus a wife) are keeping me in check now.

catblaster said:
A note on the Olds oil starvation. I can't speak specifically about the olds engines but the caddy 472 and 500's have bearing journal so large in diameter they tend to wipe the oil film off the bearings at high rpm's. I mention this because I had heard they used some caddy motors in the GMC motorhomes.....don't know that to be true and hope someone might enlighten me.

I can't say about the Caddy engines, but the Olds oil galleys that feed the main bearings are 3/8" diameter. At High RPM they don't have enough flow/pressure with a standard oil pump. The fix is placing bore reducers into the mains.
I learned all this after spinning a rod bearing in my 1970 W-30.  :'(

V2Neal said:
I can't say about the Caddy engines, but the Olds oil galleys that feed the main bearings are 3/8" diameter. At High RPM they don't have enough flow/pressure with a standard oil pump. The fix is placing bore reducers into the mains.
I learned all this after spinning a rod bearing in my 1970 W-30.  :'(
The Olds engine needs the Mondello SP-754 oil pump. (high volume) Used it on my jet boat with the 455 engine. They also have a 756 pump(high volume and high pressure), but you need the larger oil pan also.
J

Back
Top Bottom