there's always that one screw! TV replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikasdads

The original (vintage?)  ;D RCA TV in our 2008 Journey seemed be having issues.  Sometimes the HDMI inputs would just say no signal even when it had signal.  Our floor plan puts the TV in a cabinet on the bathroom wall, in the middle of the RV.  Called Winnebago on the best way to get to the connections, they suggested removing the Panel containing all our RV controls to get to the back of the TV.  We first tried different HDMI cables but that didn't help.  Since TVs are pretty cheap we decided to replace it. Getting the TV out looked simple enough, 6 bolts through a metal plate into the back of the TV.  First 5 came out easy, 3 were not even tight.  The 6th just spun.  Turns out, the threads in the back of the TV had broke loose in the TV housing.  Next we removed the 5 bolts in the bottom of the cabinet and took out the steel frame and the TV in one piece.  Thankfully we could pry open the TV housing enough to get a vice grips on the threads inside and get the bolt and frame off the TV.  Now we if we can decide between Sony and Visio, we should have a new TV soon!  Looks like we can go up to a 40".  Here are some photos of the tear out. 

Attachments

• IMG_2368-1.JPG
    IMG_2368-1.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 58
You can never go wrong with a Sony, and the 2nd tier Viseo isn't far behind these days. Go look at Samsung too. I have been using those in TV studio control rooms for several years since the Sony's automatics sometimes mask the real colors and "smooth" out what it considers "noisy" video that can often be produced by film grain. But that's me..  anythings gonna be better than that RCA

Another glass monster hits the dumpster - whoo-hoo! Jeff - do you know who's still making the actual display panels? I think Samsung makes the panels and I'm not sure if Sony does or not.

Issues that you will need to address.  The new 40" will be wide enough but not tall enough to fill the hole.  You will also need a mounting bracket.

Suggestion:  Get a piece of sanded plywood and cover the hole first.  Hinge the board on the sides or bottom and mount the TV to that, unless you have a strong mounting point somewhere inside the cavity. Hopefully look something like this

Attachments

• RV tv bedroom.jpg
    RV tv bedroom.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 34
  • RV TV Front.jpg
    RV TV Front.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 32
I just bought a Samsung for the house after a storm took out my 52" Sharp. I'd buy what ever one of those that fit the opening better. I'm going to replace my over head tv and found that the Vizio is almost 2" taller than a Samsung or a Sony on certain models.

John Canfield said:
Another glass monster hits the dumpster - whoo-hoo! Jeff - do you know who's still making the actual display panels? I think Samsung makes the panels and I'm not sure if Sony does or not.
i know Samsung makes their own panels right down the road from you. There used to be a huge demo kiosk in the Bergstrom airport

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom