Thetford Style II ball valve seal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goggindp

We have a 2012Redwood 5th wheel with the Thetford Style II toilet.  The wast ball seal recently started leaking so I replaced the seal. It did not fix the leak so I also replaced the ball. Still leaked.  I noticed the seal was not centered in the hole so I worked at getting the ill designed system placed as accurately as possible. I finally managed to get the seal as close as I could and now it is a summertime seal.  Sometimes it holds water and sometimes it does not. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, but it seems to be in getting the seal placed correctly. Upon close examination of the ball and seal with the porcelain top off it looks like the seal is almost too small.  If it were another 1/16" wider it looks like it would seal better.  Any suggestions to solve this problem would be most helpful.

Not a suggestion per se, but I have had my trials and tribulations with RV toilets. After futzing with them, without success, I have wound up replacing them for a solution. Different models and different brands. If I was paying someone to repair the toilet, it was just as expensive and replacing it. In addition, the new one comes with a warranty.

Just my opinion. YMMV

When I put a new seal in mine and it still leaked, I had to take it apart and buy some "plumbers grease" to apply to the seal.  You put it on the seal where the seal contacts the porcelain and for good measure I coated the waste ball as well. It has worked perfect ever since. 

Try grabbing a pair of disposable gloves, step on the pedal to release the ball, then gently pull the black rubber seal out completely. Let the seal soak in regular ol' white vinegar for 10 mins or so. (also try wiping the ball with a paper towel soaked in vinegar too)

Rinse it off in fresh water, grab a fresh pair of gloves, and put it right back in place. (this can all be done without ANY other tools, or dis-/re-assembly!)

We've had this problem several times on our thetford porcelain toilet now - it's caused by a thin (but thick enough!) build up of calcium from hard water sitting in the bowl that then prevents the seal from performing it's task properly. It's a cheap and (relatively) easy problem to resolve

are you sure the seal is not upside down?  only asking because you said you got it as close as possible, it has to be a snug fit or its not going to seal, also be sure to clean the area real well, the smallest contaminate stuck to the plastic will reshape the new seal.

The waste ball valve has a hollow circular end that goes into the porcelain part of the toilet.  When you depress the foot pedal the waste ball valve opens and then closes when the pedal is released. That circular end NEEDS plumbers grease so it opens and closes smoothly.  If you don't use plumbers grease the waste ball valve WILL stick - not closing fully, even a little bit.  You can get all the parts on Amazon to rebuild it - cost about $75 (Prime).  It is very easy to do and takes about an hour - start to finish.  Or you can buy a new one for about double that. 

Lots of good advice here, but some of it seems a bit extreme for a 4 year old toilet.
My own experience with the frustrating slow bowl leak ended when I stopped releasing the flush pedal gently and started letting it "snap" shut the last inch or so. Haven't had a leak since.
Might be worth a try, and it certainly is a cheap fix.

For years I have used "Lysol power bathroom cleaner",,It will clean and remove lime and calcium deposits when used regularly..>>>Dan

Wldor said:
Try grabbing a pair of disposable gloves, step on the pedal to release the ball, then gently pull the black rubber seal out completely. .....

so are you saying you can pull the seal out without disassembling the thing?

After last winter, I left mine in storage and neglected for a bit too long.... the water in the bowl had long since evaporated by the time I went to put it back into service again.
and I found that my ball seal was leaking.
I ended up buying some Thetford seal conditioner, and it did the trick for the season.  After a couple "treatments" it worked well all summer without another thought.

Now the thing has been in storage for a month, and I noticed Saturday it had leaked out again....
Being lazy and not wanting to start another "project" I ordered another bottle of the Thetford Seal stuff..... just putting off the inevitable I suppose.....

Oh, i'm only guessing mine is a "Style II"

blw2 said:
so are you saying you can pull the seal out without disassembling the thing?

Yes. Absolutely.

and per Thetford's published Trouble-Shooting tips (see link to the owners manual at the foot of this post):

2) Toilet won?t hold water:
a) Check for and remove any debris from blade/ball seal track.
b) Check blade/ball seal compression with mechanism. If blade/ball seal is worn, replace.

It's not the most pleasant of jobs, but with the water supply disconnected/off, step on the foot pedal to release the waste ball, lean into the bowl and gently pull on the rubber seal between the bowl and the ball? it comes away pretty easily, then can be cleaned as mentioned.

Post cleansing, reassemble in reverse.

Our water both at home, and at many of the local campsites we've visited is extremely hard, so I've had to do this several times now. It's a relatively quick, very easy and inexpensive "repair" - just a little unpleasant!

http://thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Owners-Manual-Aqua-Magic-Style-II.pdf

I found the cure for toilet bowl leaks. The seal for our toilet is over $40 for a $2 part, ridicules. Go to any hardware store and get a bottle of CRL. pour a little in and a few minutes later add a little more. Never needed more than that. It is that simple.

Back
Top Bottom