Thinking about getting a CDL license

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW.  I have seen a lot of establishments that give a no-cover entry to people with a valid CDL.

rbrdriver said:
Diabetes is not necessarily a disqualifier, it's the meds you take to control it. If you're not on insulin and you are controlling it with some other meds you're okay. Same with blood pressure issues. However if you are on approved meds you have to get the physical yearly instead of every 2 years which of course sucks.  :-\
On this one please allow me to disagree based on my training. Diabetes IS the disqualifier (or at least it was when I was an examiner) because failure to follow eat properly or take medications can put a diabetic into a coma.  Most Type II diabetics do not have to take insulin.  The meds one took had no effect on allowing a diabetic a national CDL license.  Control could not be assured (at least in the Feds eyes) if dependent on meds.  There were other diseases that were automatic disqualifiers too but my memory is not good enough to remember them.  Since I retired and joined the easy living bunch  (lol) I have myself been diagnosed with Type II diabetes no doubt due to weight gain so I would not qualify for an unrestricted CDL anyway.  However, I have found myself nearly into a coma by not eating properly despite taking meds so I can now see the reasons for restrictions.

This has been a good discussion and the OP didn't know what a bucket of worms he was opening but I thank him for opening it.

Senator said:
FWIW.  I have seen a lot of establishments that give a no-cover entry to people with a valid CDL.
I have to admit that you lost me on this one. No-cover entry to what - bars, games, campgrounds, ???? 

Bill N said:
I have to admit that you lost me on this one. No-cover entry to what - bars, games, campgrounds, ????

It's possible this was a reference to a "Gentleman's  club"........(just a guess.. 8) )

I know of several drivers that are diabetics that are controlling it with approved medications, not insulin, that are legally driving. It just puts them in the yearly category for the physical exam instead of the every 2 years exam. The company I drive for is pretty strict on that. We have to go to their company doctor, not one we get to choose, and he is by the book so to speak.

I remember everything changed big time back in 1993.

Every driver with the old 'Class 1' truck drivers license,  had to go back to DMV and take all CDL tests again.

First it was a 150 question written test (depending on number of endorsements) .. then a full 'Air-brake'/pre-trip practical test....(very difficult to pass 1st time for many drivers).... then, a driving test with Dock backing.

After all that.... a full strip down naked Gestapo administered medical exam. 

Now....for some stupid reason I refuse give up my CDL....even though there is very little chance I will ever need it again.  :))

If you have the haz-mat endorsement like I am required to have you have to take that knowledge test every 5 years when I renew my license. You also have to go to a TSA office and get fingerprinted and back-ground checked every 5 years also. That is the part that seems stupid to me. What, my finger prints change in 5 years? :(

Yes I had to take the CDL written test again last time.... and I almost failed the normal drivers written test !

Who the heck knows how friggen big a kid has to be for a child's car seat... if he's getting big, just strap him in regular and go.  ;D

sightseers said:
Yes I had to take the CDL written test again last time.... and I almost failed the normal drivers written test !

Who the heck knows how friggen big a kid has to be for a child's car seat... if he getting big, just strap him in regular and go.  ;D

Not to mention that they keep changing the laws regarding seat belts and car seats. Here in Alabama they just change the seat belt law to include backseat passengers have to now wear a seat belt..I can't believe that this wasn't already part of the seat belt law.

Well,  according to DOT...only those in the 'Cab' of a motorhome, are required to be seatbelted.

other strange motor vehicle laws by state ....I think passengers in Nevada are allowed to drink alcohol.   

Once I retire from big rig driving I will drop the haz-mat endorsement, which will eliminate the knowledge test and the fingerprint background check BS, but since the RV rig we have adds up to over 26001 GVWR, I will retain my CDL. This goes back to the OP question I believe. I assume you need one in a lot of states if you are over 26001. At least here in California anyways.

rbrdriver said:
Once I retire from big rig driving I will drop the haz-mat endorsement, which will eliminate the knowledge test and the fingerprint background check BS, but since the RV rig we have adds up to over 26001 GVWR, I will retain my CDL. This goes back to the OP question I believe. I assume you need one in a lot of states if you are over 26001. At least here in California anyways.
Then just drop the whole CDL and buy a motorhome.

California has this weird weight exemption for motorhomes....with a normal class C license, you can drive any housecar (motorhome) up to 40 foot long.  (regardless of weight or number of axles.  :eek: )

so...any CA licensed driver can legally drive (in every state) one of those cool Freighliner Cascadia 54k GVW 3 axle Super-C motorhomes (<40'), and pull up to a 25 foot long 10k lb. GVW trailer.  :))

....One of the many wonders of our California law makers.  :)

sightseers said:
It's possible this was a reference to a "Gentleman's  club"........(just a guess.. 8) )

I think they let anyone in.  If it was just gentlemen, I would not be allowed.

SeilerBird said:
I have never in all my years of RVing seen people bust out lawn chairs to watch someone park.

Not pulling out a lawn chair, but a while back I was hooking up my toad in front of a motorhome, and a guy came out of the motorhome and was standing there about 15 feet away, watching.  I finally went over to him and said, "Is there something you need?"  He said no, he was just watching.

I despise being watched no matter what I'm doing, but I do enjoy watching people try to park their RVs and even hook up the utilities.  So I do it discreetly, so the watchee doesn't know.  And the thing is, this guy I encountered would have had a better view from his own windshield, in air conditioned comfort.  And I never would have known.  Now I wonder if he wanted to fluster me.

And not RV related, but there's a place near Crested Butte, Colorado, where you have to drive through a creek to go up into the back country--straight down the bank, through the creek, and straight back up the other side.  People there DO bring lawn chairs to watch, and I hate it. 

Recently I negotiated our 5er into a spot with a troublesome tree.  Being still inexperienced about backing-in, this was a somewhat time-consuming process.  Until fully backed in I was unaware that a couple had been patiently waiting in their rv to travel past our spot.  Imagine my surprise when they both beamed 500-watt smiles and gave "thumbs-up" as they drove past.

That doesn't happen often, but it's a comfort to know that some who watch are supportive.

:))

LogicDog said:
I am about to pull the trigger on a 39 ft toy hauler fifth wheel to start living in full time. Downsizing from a 2200 sq ft house to this is no sweat for me. My only worry is learning to drive the thing. Not so much on the road, but more so parking it at campgrounds. I do have experience driving a very large camper van (Promaster 2500 high roof), but I never had to worry about getting it into tight spots like I will at campgrounds.

I've been visiting a lot of campgrounds and wow some of these things are packed really tight and my particular model apparently has a wider body. I've seen some spots that give you literally inches of spare room. I'm very intimidated knowing I'll have to eventually attempt to park this massive 39 ft RV into one of these tight spots, especially with everyone watching. I plan to have my wife spot me with walkie talkies and do A LOT of open parking lot training, but I'm still quite nervous. I'm seriously considering forking up some cash to get CDL training. Is this a good idea or am I crazy for even thinking it?

I have my cdl and it helped with driving some but what I would suggest is to put a wireless camera on the back so you can see exactly where you are going while backing.  You should take it to a empty lot sometime and just practice backing.

Bill N said:
Rene I have been retired from being a Drivers License Examiner for the better part of 16 years but, when I left, you needed to have a medical card for every renewal of the license, regardless of endorsements.  Has that now changed?

A number of States permit CDL holders to self-certify that they aren't engaged in driving which would require a CDL.  That's why I continue to hold my SD CDL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom