Thinking of getting a Jeep Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends how much you do it you may get good at it. For me it would have been removing and storing the hard top. That sucker even in 3 pieces is heavy. Some guys have invented "lifts" in their garage that use pulleys to lift the top straight up and hold it there.  Too much work for me!  I find that removing the front panels is plenty of sunshine and air for me, and then if it get too hot or cold, reinstall the front panels takes about 2 minutes. 

Gregb2781 said:
http://www.elkgrovedodge.net/

The Sahara model is between the Sport and Rubicon. I specifically like the Sahara as it is the only Jeep with 18" tires which provide a much nicer ride. I got the leather interior, nav and towing pkg, hardtop, and Bluetooth pkg.  Elk Grove Jeep located just South of Sacramento discounts their Jeeps an average of $4995.00. To avoid Calif taxes they delivered it to me in Reno where I signed notarized Calif DMV documents and trailered it back to Oregon. I plan to replace it with the 2018 model that will start using some aluminum in the body.

(I got sidetracked earlier and called it a Sierra as I had just gotten back from the mountains)

If buy it new with both tops, you will have to remove the hard top when you get home to be able to use the interior of your vehicle. The soft top is shipped on the jeep with the hard top over it. I ordered a 2015 from my dealer here in Texas, with the equipment that I wanted. Everything in stock had a $2000 or better sound/navigation system in it. Would rather spend money on performance enhancing options. The dealer will be more willing to negotiate, if you are willing to order. He doesn't have to pay floor plan on the unit, as it is already sold. The new one also has the 3.6 penastar engine, that was co designed with Mercedes Benz. Very good powerful and smooth. Got the Sahara with trac lok rear end and heavy duty trailer tow pkg. it also came with auto climate control( not optional when I ordered) and leather heated seats. I also order a block heater. It's really nice on a cold morning to have heater already warm when car started in morning. Pulls behind motor home like a dream. I Came out of a grand Cherokee. The wife wanted a wrangler this time. Do miss the v8. Who am I to argue. Sold jeeps for 20 years.

thanks for the dealer links.
We have a JK Crawler we bought slightly used. Have yet to find out exactly what a JK is - but did get the VIN readout.
We have 4 drs, an automatic tranny, 265/70/17's on the JEEP and pull a 3,000+ lb high clearance trailer camper off road.
We put on about 70k miles, no major stuff: we do care for it, when we get back and before we head out. tires go fast tho.
We (and our grandchildren) love this JEEP.
This JEEP loves 4 WD High most anywhere; loves 4 WD Low in all types of mud, sand and snow.
It needs 4 WD High on mountain hwys and biways - it is definitely at it's limit with our trailer.
I would like a stronger engine, hence the looking into a beefier JEEP.
Last month we drove 2787 miles through Big Bend TX and back to southeast AZ - all but say 600 of them off road - averaging 11 mpg.
Yes, December/January rain/sleet/snow.
Even after our share of Ford's and Hemi's - no truck has ever had the ride/feel/control that our JEEP has,
but I guess bottom line is you gotta like the JEEP experience.

Attachments

• WebJEEPSNOW.jpg
    WebJEEPSNOW.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 35
garyb1st said:
Been looking at Wranglers for a few weeks.  Not sure if we'll buy new or used.  Used prices are quite high which makes me think new may be the better plan.  Looked at a 2016 Unlimited Sport which listed at $36,210.  They discounted it $510.  Then they offered me $7,500 for my trade, a 2005 F250 Diesel with a book value of $15 - 19,000.  If I wasn't so taken aback by their low ball offer I would have laughed.  Already had a price from Carmax for $12,000 and sold it today for $12,750.  The Ford 6.0 diesel is not a sought after engine, but that is another story.  Not likely to do any major rock crawling but would like to get off the paved roads once in a while.  Need a 4 door automatic.  Other than that haven't really thought much about options. 

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to equip a Jeep and whether or not dealers outside of California are actually dealing.  Also what years should I avoid if I decide to buy used.  I've heard the 3.6 engine in the 2011 and later Jeeps are the way to go.  Still if it's not a significant improvement and I can find great deal on a pre 2011 Jeep, I'll take a serious look at older units.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You have a nice spectrum of thoughts.  Here's a few more....  We've had three Jeeps over the years... an early Cherokee, a YJ Wrangler and, the current one, an '08 JK.  We got the 2 door JK used, with 13,000 miles on it and now it has about 50,000.  It ranks as my favorite vehicle, ever... not perfect of course but really good.  This one started as a Sahara with many options including an AT which was a requirement for my DW if she were to ever drive it.  As others have indicated, it tows 4 down, without any problems.  It has the classic mini-van 3.8L V6 engine which has proven adequate and a hard top which does not leak but needs some extra insulation.  We have some 35" tires for the FMCA Jeep rallies and some 33" winter tires for ski season.  Over the years we made many "upgrades"... front and rear lockers; dual rate sway bars; extra skid plates; 3.5" AEV lift kit; 4.88 gears; new front bumper/winch; a Pioneer audio upgrade and a few other items... The biggest gripe with the original vehicle was the AT, the shift points always felt a little high which meant that it needed to downshift on the steeper climbs in the mountains.  In low range, it is fine.  With the 4.88 gears, even this problem, goes away and the mpg improves about 10%(about 2,000 RPM at 60 mph)  The traction and handling gets addictive especially off-road of course.  It does really well in the winter as well, although the defroster could be better.  The Sahara has the 2.73 ratio transfer case while the Rubicon has a 4:1 transfer case, plus lockers and an electric sway bar release.  In most situations, the 2.73 offers more flexibility but the Rubicon has more low range power of course although with the 4.88 gears they are closer.  I went through all this, for you, just so you know some details... and all of this depends on what you are going to do with the vehicle.  Completely stock they are capable vehicles, great around town, not great for long trips on fast interstates, fantastic toads for RVs, great off the pavement in many places but not all.  Having said all this, we have seen many other vehicles being towed, 4 wheels down, and most of them would be "more car-like" than the Wrangler.  If your "off-highway" travels will be limited to improved roads with a few rocky uphill climbs and a few muddy spots but mostly just needing a little extra clearance then many AWD SUV's would meet your needs and provide a far more comfortable ride at higher speeds on the pavement. Jeep seems to be selling everything they can build these days so, Good Luck.

Talked to my neighbor about Jeeps.  Says to stay away from the newer engines.  Claims the old 4.0 liter is much more reliable.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

We tow a 07 wrangler TJ, plane Jane run about, we love it. it tows very easy, you must look in the back up cam to know it is there.

Be sure you read the owners manual as to how to configure the transfer case when towing, We like the idea that we have a manual in or out box. Plus some years must have the key in the ignition, and be placed in the run position to free the steering, some do, some don't.
The Jeep makes a great run around car, turns very short, parks in the mini parking spaces.
Our 07 has the 3.8 V6, and gets about 14 over all.
Now that you have sold your truck, I'd shop "Craig's list" and see what you can find with out a dealer raping you.

Attachments

• DSCN1781.jpg
    DSCN1781.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 14
Really need a 4 door and it doesn't look like those are available in the 4.0 time frame.

Tom, Jeep prices are high and even private parties prices are closer to high retail and more.  What's hard to evaluate are the mods. 

garyb1st said:
Talked to my neighbor about Jeeps.  Says to stay away from the newer engines.  Claims the old 4.0 liter is much more reliable.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Yep the old 4.0 I-6 is bullet proof. many have over 400,000 before they get wrecked.
We have the 3.8 V6 that every one worries about, not a speck of trouble in 117,000 miles, that is only the miles it has run on its self. towing miles don't register, because the odometer is electric and the battery is disconnected, with the key in the on position.

Attachments

• Jeepie.jpg
    Jeepie.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 7
garyb1st said:
Tom, Jeep prices are high and even private parties prices are closer to high retail and more.  What's hard to evaluate are the mods.
This is true, they hold their value very well. but search e-bay and Craig's list for the one that's right for you. good luck.

Well it's down to a Rubicon or Safari.  Don't plan on doing much, if any, rock climbing, but the wife like the idea of the more capable Rubicon.  I'm leaning toward the Safari since I'm thinking this will become our daily driver and we do some rather long rides.  Three and Four hours at a stretch is not unusual.  For me and my 72+  year old body, comfort is a big issue.  We test drove a Rock Hard Sunday and I wasn't impressed with the shifting or the brakes.  It seemed to struggle to find 2nd gear and braking seemed mushy. 

The only other question for those of you who bought new, did anyone take advantage of the Costco program? 

Gary, the middle model is the Sahara. We used the Costco program when we bought ours, very simple and easy, although I don't remember the savings. I agree with your wife, just get the Rubicon.

Becks said:
Gary, the middle model is the Sahara. We used the Costco program when we bought ours, very simple and easy, although I don't remember the savings. I agree with your wife, just get the Rubicon.

We're going to get a Rubicon.  Now all we have to do is find the right one. 

Just put a deposit on a Willys Wheeler.  We looked at one a month ago and really liked it.  For us, its a compromise between the Sahara and Rubicon.  Nicer on highway ride than the Rubicon and more off-road worthy than a Sahara.  Buying it locally with Costco pricing.  Not as great a discount as I expected but OK.  A big benefit to ordering is the dealer does't automatically add in their $795 of dealer crap.  They also increase the Costco discount over dealer list from $800 - 1,000.  Go figure.  Like free oil changes for 2 years, nitrogen filled tires and wheel locks, about $1-200 worth of extras according to the salesman.  We can cancel the order if we find something else.  Like the new 75th Anniversary Edition.  That's a nice looking Jeep.  I love the brass colored trim. 

The Willys has the higher rear-end ratio, the Dana 44 rear axle, the Trac Loc differential, 17 inch tires, hill assist and descent and an upgraded suspension.  Not sure what that is.  I've read it's probably Rubicon shocks.  So hopefully enough Jeep so we can join the group on all but the most extreme treks.  I always like to put a few dings in the door before rolling a new vehicle.  ;) 

If we've overlooked anything, please let us know so we can amend the order. 

Gary

On the website that looks like a 2 door only, are you sure that is what  you want? A 4 door rides better and gives you much more storage. Climbing in/out of a 2 door back seat is not that fun.

Scratch out all the above I see that they do have a 4-door model.

Definitely a 4 dr. Terry.  They do however make two versions.  The Willys and the Willys W.  We got the Willys W which I believe has a few of the Rubicon off-road Features.  Picked up a copy of Tread Magazine which has lots of ads for Jeep products.  Various racks, winches, air compressors, etc., etc., etc.  It's mind boggling how the jeep can be modified/enhanced.  I'll be looking to you and the other Forum Jeepsters for input once we get in the add-on mode. 

Just talked to my hitch guy.  He does the baseplate, tow bar, air assisted toad brake (not sure it's doable on a gasser) and if Maria get's her way the winch.  Not sure why she want's one.  But as they say, if mama isn't happy.  The hitch guy says a winch requires a steel bumper.  So even if we don't do a winch right away, he recommends the bumper upgrade.  This is a very expensive hobby.  We have used this guy for 8 years and think he is very good.  But he's not inexpensive.  Don't recall exactly, but the estimate, either $6,200 or $7,200 for the works.  Guess I was a bit $hell $hocked at the estimate.  The front bumper and winch alone were more than $4,000.  Mama may not be happy.  Guess there is no need to change the rear bumper except for cosmetic reasons. 

So for those of you still reading this thread, does this sound about right?  Is a winch really necessary? 

Test drove a Hard Rock yesterday.  No we haven't cancelled the order on the Willys.  But we really don't want to wait two months for the new Jeep.  So if we find what we want before ours arrives, that's what we're doing.  The Hard Rock had everything we wanted in the Willys plus $10,000 worth of ?????.  This one felt like a rocket compared to the Willys and the other Hard Rock we test drove a week ago.  It had the 4.1 rear end which is probably the reason.  The big negative for me on this Hard Rock was visibility.  Not sure why but I didn't notice it so much on the Willys.  Maybe it was all the writing on the windshield, the sticker on the side window and the black box that controls the rear window wiper.  Do they all have those?  I honestly don't remember it in the others. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaySmith
Back
Top Bottom