This 5th wheel towing stuff is driving me nuts LOL! help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lone_star_dsl said:
GVWR and GCWR are not legal numbers.  I ran commercially for many years.  The DOT only cares about your axle ratings, tire ratings, and registered weights. I had a truck going up and down the road at 42,000 lbs for years.  He was always under his tire and axle rating and the truck was registered for 45,000 lbs.  Hundreds of trips through the scales and never a problem.

So you are saying that you drove commercially over scales with no GVWR posted on your truck? I'd call that lucky. I get pulled in if they can't read my tare and gvw even though when you ask the DOT they don't know what its for.

The easiest way to do it but maybe not the cheapest is to just make sure you are always under all the weights whether they are numbers you set while registering (ie GVW) or ones set by manufacturer (ie GCWR GAWR). I'm good enough at wasting my own money and the government already takes enough why give more?

easiest understanding out there by a goverment agency posting - this covers it all

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/docs/VehEq/Trailer%20Brochure_WEB_VERSION_06-06-12.pdf

cheers

Bought a GMC 3500HD long bed for only $900 more than the 2500HD short bed.  End of year sale.  But....more than than load capacity is the diesel engine.  If towing, I'd never use a gas engine again.  Torque is enough that you forget the trailer is back there.  I tow a 39" Montana loaded and have had no towing problems at all. 

meternerd said:
Bought a GMC 3500HD long bed for only $900 more than the 2500HD short bed.  End of year sale.  But....more than than load capacity is the diesel engine.  If towing, I'd never use a gas engine again.  Torque is enough that you forget the trailer is back there.  I tow a 39" Montana loaded and have had no towing problems at all.
g

Conratulations you picked the best way to go 3500 with diesel

The most helpful information I have found is at www.fifthwheelst.com. They also have an app that you can plug all the weight information into the app and it will tell you if you are legal and safe to tow your trailer. The only drawback is you need to weigh your tow vehicle and trailer and then the tow vehicle by its self.
I have read a lot of these post and very few seem to mention all the different factors that make for towing capacity. Engine, Transmission, Axle Ratios, all create for a different weight rating. The other thing I notice is that some people are under the impression that adding air bags or changing the gear ratio in your axles that this will change the capacity of the weight capacity of the truck. However legally it does not matter. What ever is on the yellow sticker is what the court of law will go by. It is best to educate yourself and buy the truck that will handle the trailer you want.

i prefer this one personally

http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate/?ccc=4125&dw=235&pw=165&hw=250&bd=125&ct=FW

dgwilson40 said:
The most helpful information I have found is at www.fifthwheelst.com. They also have an app that you can plug all the weight information into the app and it will tell you if you are legal and safe to tow your trailer. The only drawback is you need to weigh your tow vehicle and trailer and then the tow vehicle by its self.
I have read a lot of these post and very few seem to mention all the different factors that make for towing capacity. Engine, Transmission, Axle Ratios, all create for a different weight rating. The other thing I notice is that some people are under the impression that adding air bags or changing the gear ratio in your axles that this will change the capacity of the weight capacity of the truck. However legally it does not matter. What ever is on the yellow sticker is what the court of law will go by. It is best to educate yourself and buy the truck that will handle the trailer you want.

gear ratios do change towing ability go to

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

i really like this one because it shows all the variables in an easy to understand platform Ram and Ford offer multiple variables GM does not - you buy a Chevy 3500 Duramax you get a 3.42 rear end thats it no option on the Ram you get 3.42 3.73 or 4.10 which give you different tow capabilty mind you with a 4.10 that pulls 30,000 lbs your top speed is 20 @ 2 mpg lol but the chart is awesome

and correct AIRBAGS do not change your payload only levels out the truck and evens out the weight -taking some off the rear are transfering the load to the front more evenly.

The most helpful information I have found is at www.fifthwheelst.com. They also have an app that you can plug all the weight information into the app and it will tell you if you are legal and safe to tow your trailer.
I hate to keep pounding at the legal card issues I see RV folks throw around but there is no jurisdiction in Canada or the USA that uses the trucks payload/GVWR or GCWR/tow rating to determine a trucks legal load limit. And no we will not nor has any one ever been sued in a court of law for being over weight from a number on a trucks yellow payload sticker. 

Keep in mind the yellow tire placard didn't become mandatory until the '06 era although some truck mfg started using them in the '04/'05 era in certain lines. 

I prefer the weight calculations our states/provinces gives us for how much weight we can safely carry on our trucks.

They can read like this one from BC;
weight scales
(snipped)
(2)  The driver of a vehicle on a highway, when directed by a traffic sign on the highway to drive over scales, shall drive the vehicle to the scales for the purpose of weighing the whole or part thereof by means of stationary or portable scales, measuring the dimensions of the vehicle and load, measuring and inspecting the tires thereon, inspecting the load carried, or for any purpose under this Act or regulations.

(3)  The gross weight of any tandem axles and the gross weight of any group of axles shall be the sum of the gross axle weights of all the axles comprising the tandem axles or the group of axles, as the case may be.

(4)  The gross weight of any vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be the sum of the individual gross axle weights of all the axles of the vehicle or combination of vehicles. "end"
..........................................................................................

or as a CA state troop commander says when asked in a email; (snipped as its quite long)
"Q: ?Many of the owners travel over their tow vehicle GVWR and /or
GCWR. Are there any state laws against this? Or does the owner just
take the risk if they wish??

A: The California Vehicle Code (CVC) does not contain a law that
specifically limits the amount of weight a vehicle may tow based on the
towing vehicle GVWR or GCWR. There are, however, laws that limit the
amount a vehicle may tow based on other criteria.
  (snip for length)
Section 1085(d) of Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to
the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in
the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as
those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their
weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed
the tire load limits."
.......................................................................................

IMO there is nothing wrong if truck/RV trailer owners want to use or recommend some type of RV weight calculator. Just be aware of actual  legal load limit codes and not just a state /province published brochure or info sheet or guideline.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ddellamaggiore
Back
Top Bottom