This is me and I approve my message

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
In the runup to elections, I get tired of hearing "I'm xxx and I approve this message" :eek: . IIRC this started when some bad guys spoofed on-air messages supposedly from political candidates when they weren't. So candidates started adding the comment to provide some assurance that viewers were hearing/viewing a bona fide message.

I don't pay much attention to political ads, but I tend to have the TV on in the background while I'm working away at my desk. Since the audio message is accompanied by video of the candidate, surely the viewing audience can "see" who's talking :rolleyes::unsure:

How about all those glossy oversized postcards? We’re getting 10 a day easily. I have mail stopped roght now and I bet the box will be filled with those when we gethome.

I don't think there's an election "season" any more. Campaigns seem to be constant, loud, and never-ending. The year leading up to a major election is now extremely annoying and deafening. Every dang election right down to school boards is now a production.

Piles of junk mail from candidates. Incessant phone calls and texts. Spoof messages. Nasty ads on TV. Yard signs. Signs everywhere.

Enough!

In the runup to elections, I get tired of hearing "I'm xxx and I approve this message" :eek: . IIRC this started when some bad guys spoofed on-air messages supposedly from political candidates when they weren't. So candidates started adding the comment to provide some assurance that viewers were hearing/viewing a bona fide message.

I don't pay much attention to political ads, but I tend to have the TV on in the background while I'm working away at my desk. Since the audio message is accompanied by video of the candidate, surely the viewing audience can "see" who's talking :rolleyes::unsure:

Well I keep thinking "What's to stop someone from spoofing the "I approve this message" part?

In the major battles I listen to the candidates.. Generally one more than the other (And I generally vote for the other) One thing a Diplomat needs to know is how to NOT say too much.

What about the "this ad paid for by (insert candidate name)"? How would any listener know if it's true?
John from Detroit; your post caused me to remember this old saying; "let a man talk enough and he'll tell you how much he knows".
Then this, One can be thought a fool or speak and remove all doubt.

"The Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act was passed in 2002. It includes a provision that requires candidates running for federal office to claim their ads."

""It is a federal law that all candidates have to acknowledge that if they are paying for this particular ad, they have to claim credit and responsibility for it," Bitzer said. "

"The FEC is very specific about how the message should appear. The written statement must come at the end of the ad, appear for at least four seconds, and must be "clearly readable,""

Well,.... I've been in Louisiana for the last 2 months and will return to Indiana in April. Today is "Super Tuesday" and, as I understand, there are 15 states that are voting for their party presidential nominations today.

Louisiana is NOT on one of those states, and fortunately, neither is Indiana. So, I've not received ANY of those text messages on my phone, nothing in my Email, and no mail. My son is monitoring our mail at home, but there are no political candidate mailings there either.

What I do hear is just snips and bits on the local news here in Louisiana, and I've not seen anything on the television.

So, ... maybe, if you are receiving these solicitations, either on your personal devices or over the public media, maybe you are just living in one of those 15 states. This time of year, just pack up with the camper and get OUT for a while! It will save your sanity!

You could use one of those newspaper log roller devices and make fire logs out of them. How appropriate for politicians adverts to be used as campfire fodder. LOL!

What gets me is the insipid "Thank You, Senator, for that question" each time a question is asked of a person testifying before the Congress.

"So, when did you skin your cat and eats it's eyeballs?"
"Thank you, Senator, for that question...."

Just once I'd would like to see a Senator respond with "Look, just answer the freakin' question and don't thank me for it each time, alright!??"

I'd be happy if they just answered the question without the doublespeak and weasel words.
Most people however don't mind it and in fact like being told what they want to hear. Otherwise politicians, TV preachers, motivational speakers, phone scammers, con men, cable news personalities, ..... would have to get jobs. Politicians know fear and hate are much more powerful motivaters than peace, love and understanding. If you're going to run for office here you need a video clip of you firing a machine gun, another of you and your family holding hands walking to church through a meadow of bluebonnets and another of you wearing a kevlar vest and criss crossed belts of m-60 ammo in camo face paint, overlooking the Rio Grande from your perch up in a mesquite tree.

Just face it Tom,, to run an outfit like this you have to be at least a closet politician to begin with..>>>Dan :rolleyes:
I think you mean in order to run a country like this, you apparently have to be closest to death! :oops:

"The Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act was passed in 2002. It includes a provision that requires candidates running for federal office to claim their ads."

""It is a federal law that all candidates have to acknowledge that if they are paying for this particular ad, they have to claim credit and responsibility for it," Bitzer said. "
Thanks. I haven't (yet) read that, but it was news to me.

"The FEC is very specific about how the message should appear. The written statement must come at the end of the ad, appear for at least four seconds, and must be "clearly readable,""

That’s so when a political action committee runs an ad claiming the other candidate’s wife has 6 fingers on each hand the candidate can tell Wolf Blitzer “I never said that”.

I don't think there's an election "season" any more. Campaigns seem to be constant, loud, and never-ending. The year leading up to a major election is now extremely annoying and deafening. Every dang election right down to school boards is now a production.

Piles of junk mail from candidates. Incessant phone calls and texts. Spoof messages. Nasty ads on TV. Yard signs. Signs everywhere.

Enough!
There have been a smattering of TV ads for our local Congress-critter and his opponent, but we never get the mailings here that we did in CA. Here, they don't even send out voting pamphlets like they did there so if you want to know anything about the people or issues on any upcoming ballot you have to do your own research. As a matter of fact, I forgot yesterday was Super Tuesday and only remembered I had to go vote when I happened to see an online article about the election at about 3 PM.

There have been a smattering of TV ads for our local Congress-critter and his opponent, but we never get the mailings here that we did in CA. Here, they don't even send out voting pamphlets like they did there so if you want to know anything about the people or issues on any upcoming ballot you have to do your own research. As a matter of fact, I forgot yesterday was Super Tuesday and only remembered I had to go vote when I happened to see an online article about the election at about 3 PM.

Yeah..this cycle, Super Tuesday was quite boring. You're in one of those states where you have to "go" somewhere to vote? Eww. :p

That’s because tribalism dictates most local elections are decided in the primaries. Here and in Arkansas the antichrist would win as long as the correct letter follows their name.

Back
Top Bottom