This may be what is causing some quality issues in RV's

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

This is just a portion of the article, the rest is on MSN, but quite interesting.  We are from Indiana south of Terre Haute and I know meth is just devastating the area.

In Elkhart, meth is not the only illegal drug, but it is the one that has dealt the hardest blow to its working class gut, bringing down many men and women who staff the area?s RV factories. Over the course of the recession, at least one aspect of the problem has worsened: By mid-November of this year, Elkhart County had discovered more than 100 meth labs, compared to 75 in 2008, and 77 from 1999 through 2006, according to State Police records.

Read the full article here
[edit]Removed copyright content, inserted link.[/edit]

Thanks for fixing, that is much better, didn't know how to tie it in.

I would think that it's safe to say, that not only RV man, but the us as a whole can see the effects of meth. Not just young kids, or adults partying on the weekend, this drug does not care your age/rage/social status. It can and most likely will ruin your life, and those around you. If you are lucky enough to get out, you will alway's have that stigma about you no matter what you do. BUT it is something that you can beat and get your life back, and find out you are worth saving.

I am speaking of this first hand, I am not proud of that, nor will I deny it, just thankful that someone,or something told me there is more to life, and a better way to live. I'm not a real religious man, but God works in many wonderful way's, thankfully he has blessed myself, and my family. 11years clean and living strong! Kevin

Great post, Kevin & thanks for sharing it!  God does work in wonderful & mysterious ways.

Never experienced the drug problems, but Alcohol...oh yeah!!  As of tomorrow, if I don't take a drink today (which I'm not planning on), I will celebrate 28 wonderful years of sobriety.....It's a good life  8)

Dick

The biggest percent of RV employees in that area. Are the Amish people.
You are not suggesting they are meth users and are building RV's I hope.

PatrioticStabilist said:
This is just a portion of the article, the rest is on MSN, but quite interesting.  We are from Indiana south of Terre Haute and I know meth is just devastating the area.

In Elkhart, meth is not the only illegal drug, but it is the one that has dealt the hardest blow to its working class gut, bringing down many men and women who staff the area?s RV factories. Over the course of the recession, at least one aspect of the problem has worsened: By mid-November of this year, Elkhart County had discovered more than 100 meth labs, compared to 75 in 2008, and 77 from 1999 through 2006, according to State Police records.

Read the full article here
[edit]Removed copyright content, inserted link.[/edit]

Excellent post.

I was lucky enough to retire at an early age.
But, the work world I left was full of Tweekers.
I delt with and had to work around Meth tweekers my whole career.

They all had off the hook problems.
But not one of their problems was the legal system.
Never met one that got caught up in the system.

It was what the drug was doing to their health and their social life, and worst of all the mood/personality changes it creates destroying their families and their jobs.

They will steal anything.
Even my old Wayne Newton and Mills Brothers CD's,, and that's hitting bottom IMHO.

I'm in the middle of remodeling a '93 motorhome, and I can tell you that poor quality construction predates the meth problem.

The list of quality problems that I've fixed includes:

1. Every fifth screw missing.
2. Knotty furring strips used structurally in walls and bed frames.
3. Carpet installed beneath plumbing fixtures
4. Cheap/crappy plumbing fixtures
5. Openings in walls and floors that allow mice and other vermin easy access
6. Staples used where nails should be used.
7. Nails used where screws should be used.
8. Chip board used where treated or marine-grade plywood should be used.
9. Contact paper used where paint should be utilized.
10. Crappy fit and finish.

The whole thing was built as quickly and cheaply as possible.  Quite simple to fix, really, but sad that I have to...

I'm sure the diagnosis of meth in the workplace is right on.  I managed to combine the problems of Kevin and Dick by getting chemical assistance so I could drink longer and later  with predictable results.  A Native American summed it up in a few words; "A man takes a drink, the drink takes a drink, the drink takes the man."  Before I got help, it almost took me.

Have a friend serving 17 years on a meth bust, but "...stealing Wayne Newton albums...", I don't think she got that bad.

GKman said:
I'm sure the diagnosis of meth in the workplace is right on.  I managed to combine the problems of Kevin and Dick by getting chemical assistance so I could drink longer and later  with predictable results.  A Native American summed it up in a few words; "A man takes a drink, the drink takes a drink, the drink takes the man."  Before I got help, it almost took me.

Have a friend serving 17 years on a meth bust, but "...stealing Wayne Newton albums...", I don't think she got that bad.

Two Thumbs Up for you, GKman  ;)

Maybe some truth to it, I know the service dept, where I bought my RV in Airdie Alberta, they`re in LA LA land most of the time.

I just spent seven months in Lane County, Oregon.  Meth mouth is the norm, not the exception.  Country Coach was built there, along with several others now in trouble.

A barber in town remarked that a good pick up line in a local bar was "That is a nice tooth you have there."

I loved beautiful Oregon, and many of the people I met here, but the drug culture is everywhere, even to loons roaming the streets and accosting people for some imagined slight.  It was so bad that a local TV station did a feature story on it - "What to do with them?" - so it was not just my narrow perspective that noticed it.

I am heading home to Texas, as there is a sense of normalcy there.  I also love Arizona, and that could be home someday too..  There is a meth problem those places too, like everywhere, but Texas is home, and I see many fewer DIPS - Drug Induced Psycholis problems.

The whole country, including leadership, is becoming something I do not recognize or understand, and I scream at the TV, shake my head, and pray for our beautiful country.  I feel very fortunate to have lived through our "Golden Age".

I smile when I remember how silly I thought my Grandfather was when he would state "We're all going to Hell in a handbasket."  Now I am doing it, hearing aids, reading glasses, gimpy knees and all.

at the height of my problems, or prbably the bigginng of my new life, I sat down with my banker, to explain myself, and my late payments to him. I have known this man since I was 8yrs old. It took somewhere around 2min before he could speak. He never suspected anything, yet was concered about my tardyness. Afterward he ask"Kevin, I have a daughter in highschool, do you think there is a meth problem in this town, and schools?"

I calmly replied "There is nothing to worry about, there isn't a problem with meth in this town, you can buy it anywhere you want" He was completely deflated, there have been well known bankers,lawyers, business presidents even effected by it.

The sad part is for me anyway, I started it to get more work done, worked for awhile, then it all went south. anyway, things are great now though. kevin

I am so thankful my husband, I, our son, and our daughter didn't fall into it.  We could have, nothing special about us anymore then anyone else.

My husband for many years drank to much, caused us lots of problems and I would try to get even.  Wasn't a pretty picture, but he quit many many years ago and all is well.  He was always a fine man but if he had a drink he didn't know when to quit.

When we went back home at Thanksgiving, I could not get over all the houses we saw just trashed.  I was talking to some friends about it, she is a bailiff in the court.  She said most of them are likely druggies.  This was solid middle class America where people took pride in their homes and communities.  My MIL saves me the local newspaper and the jail census is always full.  I just can't get over it when people talk about legalizing drugs, who wants their doctor, airline pilot, or surgeon high?  They may be anyway, but not like they would be if it was legal.

My husband said he had no idea how bad it was till he ran a project in W Virginia and this was some years ago.  He said over 50% failed the drug tests including guys his age.  He was absolutely floored.  I guess that's why old guys like him are in such demand.  His company drug tests and any I've gone to work for do too.  I think they should do it more often.  My son works for the DOD and they do too. 

Well we are obviously dinosaurs as I just was never tempted to try that,but of course with my friends where I grew up there was no peer pressure for doing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom