This post for the birds. I need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I know will sound kind a funny and I'm desperate but here goes. In the last few days, I've been having issues with birds. I haven't seen any so I don't know what breed they are. They've been using my truck outside mirrors as a perch and are dropping bird poop all over my mirrors. Front and back. I washed my truck yesterday afternoon and this morning, they're covered again. They are also doing it on my bed rails.  Don't laugh. It's true.  Anyone know what I can do to stop them?  My wife does have a bird feeder but it's on the backside of the house about 75 feet away. She's a bird lover and don't even think about me shooting them for two reason's:  first, I would probably hit the glass and destroy my mirrors and second, I never see them. You can stop laughing anytime. :'(  I'm serious.  :eek: ::) :-\
Also getting a cat wouldn't work. I have a dog who's set in his ways.

One of these in the bed of the truck should do it.

On my way out the door but, when time permits, I'll summarize all the anti-bird-poop measures we've used on our boat.

Attachments

• scarecrow.jpg
    scarecrow.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 79
Search Bird-B-Gone, Inc. for a variety of humane means of controlling birds using commercially available spikes, netting, solar sound systems, etc. Walmart has "Bird X" brand netting (advertised as 14' X 45') for $30.

When we changed the windows in our previous house, we started having birds fly into the new windows. We put vinyl raptor silhouettes up, and no more bird strikes.

This may sound obvious, but are you parking under a tree?  If so, try moving somewhere more open.

Also, if you are parked for a while, you might just throw a tarp of some sort over the whole thing.  Another possibility would be to string fishing line back and forth about 6" above roof--not sure what you can attach this to, but people in Florida use this to keep birds from out of their pools.  Birds don't like to fly among string that is too fine to land on.

Netting would work if you could raise it up slightly and find something to attach it to.

JudyJB said:
This may sound obvious, but are you parking under a tree?  If so, try moving somewhere more open.

Also, if you are parked for a while, you might just throw a tarp of some sort over the whole thing.  Another possibility would be to string fishing line back and forth about 6" above roof--not sure what you can attach this to, but people in Florida use this to keep birds from out of their pools.  Birds don't like to fly among string that is too fine to land on.

Netting would work if you could raise it up slightly and find something to attach it to.

No trees near the truck. I moved the truck today over near the end of the garage. I'll see what happens tomorrow. This morning I got up and had a bunch of it again on the mirrors and my taunea cover. I'm starting to wonder if now maybe it may be owls at night moving around because I never see any birds in the area during the day.

We had this problem at work in our parking garage, with pigeons and/or turtle doves flapping up into the garage supports and pooping all over our fleet vehicles.  The grand idea was to set up one of the motion controlled "hawk call" speakers.  In theory, every time a bird flies by, the speaker loudly plays a loop of ominous calls from various birds of prey.  It goes off whenever WE walk or drive by it too, so we are pretty sick of that thing by now.

The pigeons left for about two days.  Now they are back, and the other night my boss saw one of them sitting ON TOP OF the bird call speakers.  :p  ;)  I guess they were smart enough to realize that the loud noises did NOT equal any attacks from bigger birds.  I don't know if a stationary scarecrow or plastic owl will work any better/longer or not.

I  think during mating season the male birds sit there on the mirrors and literally get " pissed off " at the sight of another male ...

try covering up the mirrors.

the other night my boss saw one of them sitting ON TOP OF the bird call speakers.

That's what happened when I tried using those 'scare owls' in the yard; The birds merely perched on top of the owls. Took them back to the hardware store and said "they don't work". Got my money refunded.

TonyDtorch said:
I  think during mating season the male birds sit there on the mirrors and literally get " pissed off " at the sight of another male ...

try covering up the mirrors.

I tried covering the mirrors a couple of days ago and they still perched on it.

BinaryBob said:
<<< They've been using my truck outside mirrors as a perch and are dropping bird poop all over my mirrors. Front and back>>>

Perhaps something a little less complicated and elaborate. If you put marine dock cones on top of your mirrors such as these inexpensive bird cones, it should eliminate the problem.

These cones are 8 1/2" in diameter. I don't know how I would mount them. And besides, there are also crapping on my tourneau cover and truck bed rails.  It appears to be only happening at night so like I said earlier, it might be owls. Are there any other birds which roam around at night? 

Rene T said:
I tried covering the mirrors a couple of days ago and they still perched on it.

I think covering the mirrors was just a suggestion to prevent the poop from getting on your paint/finish.  You could use some cheap rags or old T-shirts that could easily be washed & tossed.

catblaster said:
A thought just occured to me.......since bats roost hanging upside down does that mean that they poop on themselves when they are roosting???

Never thought of it that way Will. Maybe that's why you shouldn't handle bats.  ;D ;)  They're not bats because one of the droppings is the size of a bat.

Have you checked to see if someone put a bulls eye target on the roof of the cab of your truck?

Back
Top Bottom