thoughts about switching from TT to MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newrvers09

Weve had our 25' TT for about 6  mos now and have about half dozen trips under our belt.  So far, we have adapted pretty well to RVing and all that comes with it althouh now having some experience there are some some things that have come up.  Being the female half of this party I have yet to 'tow' our combination of Tahoe/Spree, but would love to be able to go on short trips myself with the kids while DH is working.  Quite simply, being the 'do it yourself' kind, Im missing that option to take off and go when I want.  I just dont know if I can handle all that hooking up and towing requires.  That said, have been thinking about other options, i.e. a motorhome, and how/why that might be a better option.  There are a ton of questions surrounding how to go about trading in, what kind of loss we we be taking, gas vs. diesel and if there is any difference from TT to MH,,,and a bunch more Im sure I haven't thought about yet.  I have towed a small boat, probaby 16-17 feet with our other SUV before, just about 100 miles or so, and did OK, but not sure with this larger TT if I could handle it ?  :eek:

Just wanted to get some thoughts from the more experience here.  Thank you :)

As Gary said in your other post, motor homes come with their challenges too.  If anything, a proper Tow/TT set up is quite a bit easier to get used to than a motor home/toad set up.  In most cases the trailer will be quite a bit smaller than a class A in width and height.  Add to that that you will likely lose your shirt on trading in the trailer, leave you with the easy task of getting behind the wheel.
    To start with look for parks that will allow you to book a pull through site.  That way you will limit the need back up, which is over 90% of the difficulties you will ever encounter.  Straight driving is just a matter of getting used to the length, width and heigth, and that really doesn't take long.  Stick to major roads, use your mirrors, play the female card if necessary (bat your eyes and ask for help), and you won't have any trouble.
    When we were set up in Salt Lake this spring a widow and her dog pulled in beside us, it was her second time out with the TT.  The park manager set up her water and sewer, I set up her awning and she stayed a week before pulling out.  We've since had emails from her, she made it from Oregon to Nashville TN and back without incident, other than snow, freezing weather hail and severe storms.  She's planning her next trip.
    With kids, I wouldn't suggest you start with such an ambitious trip, but shorter ones will boost you self confidence.

Ed 

It really just comes down to committing to learn something new. When we had our pop-up, Kim drove it a couple of times to get used to it. She has never driven the TT, however (actually she does not even like to drive the truck but will when she has to). I have no doubt that she could hook up and tow herself if she had to. It might be a little nerve racking at first but she'd get used to it. I'm sure you would, too. There are tricks and tools to help with hooking up, too - power jacks, cheater bars for WD hitches, etc. And you may only have to learn to hook up at home...I'm sure some friendly neighbors would help once you get to the campground.

I wonder if there are driving schools out there that teach towing (or motor home) skills?

I don't know about TTs but there are schools for driving MHs.

I would think a MH would be easier to set-up.

newrvers09 said:
Quite simply, being the 'do it yourself' kind, Im missing that option to take off and go when I want.  I just dont know if I can handle all that hooking up and towing requires.

It has been interesting to me over my 15 years of full time RVing to get feedback as to which is easier -- MH or TT/5thW. My conclusion is that it is totally a matter of personal likes and dislikes. That's why you see so many of each on the road. I started in a Class A MH, then went to a TT, then to a 5thW, then to a Class C MH, and now finally, I am content with my 34' MH. Hopefully, you can make a quicker decision.  :)

My advice for your current situation is to work with the TT first before looking for a MH. You will probably find it much easier to tow/park than you thought. I suggest finding a huge, empty parking lot somewhere and practice. That's what I did on the way home from the dealership the day I purchased my TT. I started without cones or boxes, just used the lines from parking spots to simulate an RV site. Ideally you will have someone with you that knows the basic rules - as it is sure a lot easier than trying to figure out how to make the trailer go where you want it to by trial and error.

When I moved to a 5thW, I found it much easier to handle on the open road, tho about the same as to parking vs. the TT.

Ultimately, for me, a MH is the best of all worlds for my situation. Backing up is the same as my car -- but must remember that I am I'm "much" bigger. There are other pitfalls in MH driving and parking, but IMO, less than a TT or 5thW.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing . . . 

I guess I am a little more optimistic about you not having to "lose your shirt." We owned a fifth wheel, purchased new, for nine months - needed to full time in it while I built our house. Paid about 32K, sold it for 29K - not a bad rent payment for nine months. Sold quickly as well - in the middle of Colorado winter. If you decide to trade - look at a provate sale rather than a trade in... good luck.

We own a MH and TT, both 34 ft.  I do 99% of the driving for MH and 100% for trailer.  DH likes it that way so he can sight see along the way or nap.  The travel trailer had me very scared the first time since trailer was at different location from where the truck was getting the hitch  installed.  I was shown without trailer on how to do the hook up so I can pick up trailer and bring back to them to finalize installation of the anti sway system, 8 miles.  DH helped with the first hook up and from that time forward hasn't touched it.  I have been doing it all except leveling blocks for the MH and holding the sewer line in place when dumping.  I love to give him the dirty jobs.  If you don't mind driving the truck and you already towed a boat, 10 ft more isn't that drastic.  My concern would be the children.  Would they demand your attention as you maneuver the trailer  onto the site and set up.  This could have you forget to do something.  You may need a checklist if so.  Other than that, I see no problems.  I handle both for long distances without DH.  Just take your time, pay attention and remember to make turns wide. 

newrvers09 said:
Being the female half of this party I have yet to 'tow' our combination of Tahoe/Spree, but would love to be able to go on short trips myself with the kids while DH is working. 

I don't get it.  The ability to drive a TV and TT has nothing to do with the Y chromosome.

Thanks for the tips.  Nice to hear the view points of TT vs. MH,,,,and who finds what more or less difficult or different.  I think we'd try to keep this, since it is so new and, of course, would rather NOT take such a financial hit. 

I am hoping to get out this weekend for my first lesson in "hooking up" and maybe towing around the big lot that we store it in.  I know it will just be a matter of "getting used to" , as is the case with anything.  I consider myself a pretty adept driver and well-versed in parallel parking having lived in the "city" getting into many a tight spots, but this WILL be a bit different, lol, lol. !!!

The kids are a bit older (16, 11 and eight)  and really can be out of the truck helping me if/when I am trying to back into a spot.  I like the idea of shooting for a pull-thru site, at least initially, to eliminate some of the stress with that aspect at least.

I think judging the length will be toughest and, of course, simply driving in traffic with the other knuckleheads out there  :eek:

Sure hope no one was offened by the 'female' comment, I am quite independent and fit, was just wondering out loud if, physically, I could SLAP those sway bars into place or crank the TT up, etc.  I absolutely do consider X and Y chromosome to be equal !! lol, lol, lol

Thanks a bunch !

newrvers09 said:
Sure hope no one was offened by the 'female' comment, I am quite independent and fit, was just wondering out loud if, physically, I could SLAP those sway bars into place or crank the TT up, etc.  I absolutely do consider X and Y chromosome to be equal !! lol, lol, lol

Based on what you said I do have several pieces of advice.

1) It is not necessary to learn to hitch and unhitch in order to drive.  They are separate skills and if they are both familiar, my advice is to learn to drive first.  No point overwhelming yourself.  And, for that matter, there are people who never unhook their trailer on the road.

2) If parts of the hitch require too much strength to handle, change them, or get a different hitch.

I have the Propride hitch, which is a great hitch and well worth the money in many ways.  The spring bars attach with jacks, so you just turn a crank to tighten them.  I was using a cordless drill to do it for a while but got tired of recharging the batter.  I guess there are electric motors you can get for the jacks if you want to be able to just push a button.  On whole a very easy hitch to connect and disconnect.

As expensive as it is the Propride hitch costs way less than the cost of trading to a MH.

The only lifting with the Propride is the "stinger" that goes in the receiver of the tow vehicle.  It weighs about 45 pounds, and I typically install it at the beginning of a trip and leave it there even if I unhitch. 

But there are other choices.  If you're having trouble snapping up the spring bars, just get jacks for them instead of those overcenter brackets.  Propride will sell them to you if you can't get them anywhere else.

DH = Darling Husband or Dearest Hubby or similar interpretations, depending on who you ask. And DW for the wife.

I've heard 'Dumb Hick' too, but that was usually just after something went wrong.  ;D

Jammer:  Again, many thanks for the additional info.  I guess I agree with you on the point of learning one thing at a time.  Worst case scenario I could have (DH - hubby !) set me up, go on my way, stay hooked up and then come on home.  But, would eventually like to learn the total package.  The whole point is to get up and go on my own, without having to ask, wait, ask again, wait some more....ya know? 

That said though this weekend I could definitely pay attention more when HE is setting it up for ME to drive....should be interesting, to say the least.  Don't doubt I can do it...as always its the other people on the road that make me nervous ;)

FYI:  We have the Equalizer.  Ive watched him UNhookl, and he has my 11-year-old son crank down our accordion stabilization jacks on the TT, so I KNOW I can do that, lol, lol.  Then the business of leveling it out, hooking up water, elect, etc.

Any other tips on simply towing with this size TT?  I'm sure I am going to be overly cautious regarding leaving plenty of space between me and the guy in front, and of course those turns !

Thanks again...I'll be sure to post an update on ((((  how I did )))) over the weekend.
Kim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom