thousand trails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scroxford

Considering joining the ranks of the "Thousand Trails". Camp grounds are spread out but the price of a stay seems worth it.
Your Thoughts, please.

Read the fine print, not once but several times.  You are buying into what amounts to a timeshare and can't just walk away from them like you do Passport America, Good Sam, etc.  There are companies that specialize in reselling them.

Our feeling was that they're too limiting for us.  Are their campgrounds where you want to go?  We knew one couple who owned Thousand Trails and they used it when their kids were young, mostly on weekends and vacations because their time was limited and TT was close enough to use on a regular basis.  Their kids liked it because it was like summer camp where all the kids knew one another.

ArdraF

The only reason I have it is because the dealership I got my rv from paid for a year with 30 days free camping. For an outfit being around as long as they have, it seems to me that they don't have very many campgrounds.  Personally I wouldn't pay for a membership just based on that alone and the photos I have seen don't look that impressive.  I would think that having a good sam membership would be a better deal.

Like all memberships, they are great if you use them and a waste if you don't.  The annual dues go on whether you stay in their parks or not, and you contract for a fixed term, so consider carefully before committing. If you do use the parks to the full extent the membership provides, the cost per night is quite low (my membership works out to about $11/night).

Some of the parks are terrific, but others not so much. Many are in popular areas, though usually well outside of town on large "preserves" that isolate them from traffic and noise.

ArdraF said:
Read the fine print, not once but several times.  You are buying into what amounts to a timeshare and can't just walk away from them like you do Passport America, Good Sam, etc.  There are companies that specialize in reselling them.

Almost true. Tousand trails has multiple types of membership.. Mine is good at selected parks (All Thousand Trails parks but not TT East) nationwide, and it's the kind of membership Ardra describes above.

I could "Upgrade" And get all Thousand Trails/Naco and Something else parks (Including TT East)

They also offer what they call a ZONE PASS. and I recommend this for newcomers to membership camping.. There are now I think FIVE zones (check the website for more)  You can buy a pass for around 600 bucks as I recall and sometimes they have 2 for one sales... You can camp at any TT/Naco park, including the ones I can not, within the zone.

But here is the big part.. The zone pass costs right close to what I pay annually for my nationwide membership.. But after a year, or two, ro 20 (Basically after each year) you have choices.

You can continue your existing zone(s) or you can go nationwide/lifetime like me, or you can say "Take this deal and shove it"  The only thing is you must notify them in writing (Send a letter).

But since it is not "Forever" it's the best deal in membership camping.

That said. TT parks are underfunded and tend to deteriorate a bit.  BUT.. I've never, ever had a problem with the staff. This is not the case at some other parks..  In fact I give TT staffers the highest marks.

If you decide on joining Thousand Trails  PM me and I'll give you my membership number so I get credit.

But as Ardra said.. READ THE FINE PRINT.

A while back a very nice fellow camper in Texas asked if we would be interested in their TT membership for $500. I said no, and she asked if I was interested for free. I do believe she would have paid me to take it.

If they were not using their membership, then selling it cheap is far preferential to paying ongoing annual dues. One must consider carefully before entering into any long term contract. The rewards of a long term relationship are much greater, but only if you will continue to enjoy it. Otherwise, annual memberships are safer (but not as lucrative).

Thousand Trails offers both annual and regional memberships (aka "Zone" passes), and long term contracts.

Am I correct in thinking that the long term commitments are not much different from a time-share, with all the attendant difficulties of getting out of one?

The whole idea of a motor home or other type of RV is to travel. My take is to keep away from such places.

I will say this again. TT has 3 kinds of membership.

National, lifetime (What I have)
Upgraded national lifetime (I do not have)
And the annual zone pass.

The difference is this.. The first two are traditional among membership outfits.. They are LIFETIME.. once in it's very hard to get out, I have one company that lost all their campgrounds and still. bugs me for dues... lt has been 10 years they have been bugging me for dues.. Eventually I'll likely have to sue them.

But TT's Zone pass is for one year. Renewable, or not, just send a letter.. YOU DO have to send a letter.. This makes it a UNIQUE product in that you can try. and if you really like it you can upgrade to lifetime.. if not.. Just send them a NO THANK YOU note when the time comes.

We bought a Zone Pass on a 'Buy one, get one free' promotion on a reference from friends who are avid TTers 4 years ago. We got the Northwest and Southwest zones and have been very happy as it works for our style. There are 4 of the campgrounds, or Preserves, within an hour(ish) drive of us so it's easy for "hook and go" weekends. Staff is always friendly and accommodating.
Since the DW retired last fall, we will be doing more traveling, so may look into upgrading. For now we are happy with out TT membership and experiences!

Well I got talked into a TT membership. At the time we purchased our Zone Pass in2014, they were running a ?buy one zone, get one free? deal for $545, so we got both the Northwest and Southwest Zones for that price. The sales rep we spoke to to seal the deal, added Encore properties to the deal. The big hook for me was were guaranteed 7 days at the property just outside Yosemite National Park.
We were staying at the TT property Medina Lakes outside San Antonio Texas for a rally. I did not realize that this place pretty much mired the rest of the parks. Older Run down narrow camp sites. The campsite was on dirt no patio no table or outside amenities.
The roads were dirt with lots of potholes and rough spots. There was a water leak in the dirt road in front of my campsite. As an aside it made for some good wild game watching as there was a drought in the area. All the game came to water right in front of us.  The drought was so severe the lake was dry with people planting crops in the lake bed. The lake was over 80 feet below level yet according to a couple that was next to us TT was still promoting the water sports at the park when they called about a reservation.
Back to Thousand Trails. 
South west zone includes 6 states 18 camp grounds 3 states don?t have a camp ground and Nevada and Arizona have one each. The one that I stayed at in Arizona was an Encore Property and was one of the better places. We were parked on a big flat parking lot with hookups. It is primarily for snow birds and is 90-95% permanent park model type structures.  I will say this it was one of the only places that had a readymade package of information about the area and some coupons for local attractions.
North West Zone includes 9 states 18 campgrounds; 7 states have no campgrounds. Only Oregon and Washington have camp grounds. Saying you have a zone that covers 9 states sounds good but it is actually only 2 states have any campgrounds you can use.
Read and understand the rules and fine print. Little things tend to aggravate like you can stay free but if you want 50-amp service that is an additional $5.00 per night.
The thing that made/makes me mad is they repeatedly said this was a one-year deal and I could renew it if I wanted to. Yet they charged my credit card without my permission. They said that by singing the original paperwork it became an automatic renewal. I had asked repeatedly if it was a one-year deal and was assured I would have to renew myself or it would end. I looked and my lawyer looked it over and could find no such clause. They refunded my money and we are all happy now.
I know several people who have TT and love it and some are in at higher levels. I don?t want to say it won?t work. But for me I will pass.
Bill

We have two zones which is most of western US.  It costs us $35 a month and we get 30 days free camping per year, then $3 per night after that.  We love it. 

Gary RV Roamer said:
My Thousand Trails membership is a 10 year contract, John. Not "lifetime". It is, however, renewable as long as I like.

Ah, yet another kind of membership (Did not know about that one)

Most all membership outfits it is lifetime.. TT is the big exception to that. As far as I'm concerened this makes them better.. Much better, than the rest because you do have options.

Sadly they need to dump a lot of money into working on their parks.

kwajkat said:
The only reason I have it is because the dealership I got my rv from paid for a year with 30 days free camping. For an outfit being around as long as they have, it seems to me that they don't have very many campgrounds.  Personally I wouldn't pay for a membership just based on that alone and the photos I have seen don't look that impressive.  I would think that having a good sam membership would be a better deal.

I know most of the local (Puget Sound Area) have deals with K&M...who also offers Thousand Trails memberships...

We looked into K&M after they offered us (numerous times) free membership...we only have to pay the dues. :roll: Decided their offerings were too limited for our needs and passed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom