Tiffin Motor Homes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of like watching sausage being made.  That thing had more activity in it by being built than it will ever see in it's lifetime.

I watched the entire video. It confirmed to me the paucity of quality control procedures and lack of inspectors. Until the last day, the few inspections were primarily on the outside paint job. I have read so many posts of Tiffin owners about the problems getting their new Tiffins road ready, that it was kind of painful to watch the video.

Just curious, RogerS, do Tiffins have a higher-than normal amount of issues from the factory?  I assumed that most owners of new rigs will find a "punch list" of some sort after the purchase.

I also watched the entire video and found it impossible to tell QC from Inspectors from Installers. My RED had a few items on the punch list but nothing compared to my Damon Challenger or my Rexaire.

IMO 5 days to build such a complicated MH was way too fast.  I'd rather see them slow down an take 8-10 days to build a unit, so that there's time to make sure things are right the first time, i.e. Drivers Seat had to be changed didn't match???, windows were scratched, and probably a whole bunch of other things that were not shown.

yes interesting.  It looks like the owners posted the video online, not Tiffin.  i wonder if this was an owner set-up to make the vid.  Interesting that they would get permission from the manufacturer to do it.

regardless
It's fun to watch things like that.  makes me think of watching ants or bees in a hive.  Seems like a lot of random wasted movement and energy.

a couple times that i noticed the workers looked to be taking a break.  eating lunch while sitting on the floor (or a smoke break?) and a few times of folks sitting to rest in the chairs. 

To GEJim,
There were places in the video where they text mentioned the inspections so that became part of my conclusion as I am pretty sure that it is reasonable to believe they would have emphasized any other major breaks in the build for quality control inspections. I also didn't see clipboards being carried around...though yes, it was pretty fast.

One aspect that I know that Newmar does, for comparison, is that customers can purchase, for I believe around $2,500, an expanded pre-pickup inspection that takes about a week or more, where one or two technicians are assigned to work with the owners to completely go through everything.

That is probably a better idea that trying to get the industry to improve their quality control, since these are from my perspective custom builds rather than inventory build up of a high volume of virtually identical cars as they do say for Fords.

And this is not really to knock Tiffin, but I think it is useful for buyers to be on top of what is really going on. Over in the irv2 Tiffin and Newmar forums, there is a clear difference in terms of the lack of problems new Newmar owners deal with after purchase compared to Tiffin owners. I don't know if that really is critical for some buyers, but I believe there are a lot of buy and enjoy type owners who hate the after purchase issues. Now, in context there are something like 3 or 4 Tiffins sold, to one Newmar sold, but I believe the word is getting out about the Newmars.

Personally, I am keeping my eye out for a used Newmar dp, so in a way this is not all that relevant for me. 

I recently inquired about Tiffin Motor Homes from a local dealer and I was told if I ordered a new coach I could go to their factory in Alabama and watch it being built from beginning to end. I hear you have very good access to the build and there are very few areas you are not allowed into.

Gordon, sorry I didn't reply earlier than today.

My take on Tiffins compared to Newmars, is that they are building 3x or so more than Newmar is building. On the forums I read, the Tiffin owners seemed to complain more about punch lists than Newmar owners - almost non-existant. Newmar, for an additional fee, offers a special road ready review and fix it with the owner at the factory over a week or so period of time.

I think the issue is more or less the mental state of the buyer, since the industry seems to expect buyers to be part of the quality control whether buying new or used.

I think buyers who focus on buying full-time quality rigs simply are gonna be better off than those who buy vacation and entry level rigs, whether Tiffin or Newmar.

When I buy my used dp from a private owner, I will likely verify all his representations and do my own evaluation of state of condition with some assistance from a mechanic. I would probably do the same if I bought new but be a real pain in the rear for the dealer.

It's my understanding that you can no longer go to Red Bay and watch your Tiffin being built.

Nope, incorrect Wendy. Tiffin encourages buyers to visit the factory and follow their rig down the line, on he floor with the workers. Darnest thing I ever saw, but I have been there in person. You do the same thing if you go to the factory service center. Follow your tech around asking questions and see how things are put together.

I had assumed before seeing the video that there would be a lot stronger looking steel structure in the windshield/driver/passenger area. I have seen others with some serious structure there.

Back
Top Bottom