Tim has new electronic toy-a pacemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, let me throw a little "what if" into this.  The week before Tim came down with shingles, he got a flu shot and the H1N1 shot.  He's never had either before.  The question my doctor asked him was if he was allergic to eggs.  Apparently the vaccine is suspended in eggs or has some derivative of egg in it's composition.  I'm wondering if any of you who have had shingles recently, had the flu shot or H1N1 shortly before you broke out with shingles.  My thinking is that his resistance was low and since he had chicken pox as a child, the vaccine may have triggered the shingles.  I'm probably way off base, but it would be an interesting study to see if an outbreak of singles has occurred since the delivery of the N1H1, either vaccine or contracting a mild case. 

When I went in for my annual physical, I was adamantly refusing to get either of those shots.  I've never gotten a flu shot and haven't had the flu or even flu like symptoms for nearly 20 years.  However, she talked me into them much to my chagrin.  Her argument was that the flu and related illnesses have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years.  That what doctors were seeing in the "institutions" are now wide spread in the general population.  Her feeling was that I would be better protected with the shots.  I still regret getting them, to some extent.

Another question is why does one come down with the shingles especially if they have not been around anyone who has them.....that's mystery.

Tim got the shingles meds the day he broke out, so his rash and blisters are dried up and fading.  However, the area is still tender.  After reading the reports of others on here and doing more internet searches apparently this can last for weeks.

Wendy, I still haven't gotten my shingles vaccine.  They don't have it here in Kernville, I'll have to get it when we go down to B-field next Wednesday.

Things are looking up, he did some minor stuff in the yard this afternoon, took a short nap.  Then we went out to eat and onto "Good Friday" church service.....life is getting better.

Marsha~

Marsha,
My shingles were never realted to any vaccine nor shots.  I was told Trauma can enduce a  bout of shingles.  I once had a trash can lid come down and hit me on head.  Hurt like hell, nearly knocked me out and next day voila a bout with shingles from the left side of my forehead down to almost my eye.  They watched it carefully as if it  gets into  your eye, it is a very bad thing.  Now I notice fatigue or stress can also cause a flare up.  I have also had shingles across my right side mid waist area.  All of it is painfull, frustrating , and not very welcome.  Fortunately it has been years and years since an outbreak but the  pain in my memory  has not faded.

I wish Tim well.

Betty 

A few years ago, we noticed some "funny" spots on Dad's face and all thought "oh, no, skin cancer!" Turned out to be shingles which we decided was a whole lot better than cancer. See, there's a good side to everything :)

Mike still plans on asking the VA about the shingles vaccination. Last time he asked, when a SKP friend was visiting and came down with a very bad case of shingles, the VA in Durango said they don't keep any vaccine because it has a very short shelf-life. Will have to find out if they cover it at the local hospital or if they'd rather pay him $200 to drive to Albuquerque to get the vaccination at the VA hospital there. Free health care from the VA has its goods and bads.

Everyone please stay healthy and happy.

Wendy
still freezing in Colorado

If you have active Shingles be sure to stay away from people who have cancer.  Jerry's mom got hers shortly before we were to arrive for Christmas and I had a mastectomy almost at the same time.  Her doctor told her to tell me not to come and my own doctor said the same thing so we stayed home that Christmas.

ArdraF

Marsha:

My shingles were not related to any immunizations.  Mine was probably stress induced.  Adults who have had the chicken pox, should stay away from any children who have chicken pox, as that can trigger a case of the shingles.  So don't baby sit your grandkids if they come down with them, thinking your safe because you had them as a child.  They can and will trigger shingles, especially in older people.

Wendy:  Fred had to go to the Tucson VA to get his shot.  But, he had to sign up and it took some time, because they wait until they have enough people to empty a bottle of the vaccine.  It is VERY expensive, and has to be used up within 24 hours on arrival at the "distribution" center.  That's why most family doctors won't give it either.

Daisy

Back
Top Bottom