Time to replace awning fabric. What should I expect to pay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's only torn where the fabric is attached to the RV would the awning work correctly if one had the beading sewn in about an inch in farther? Just a thought.

So the OP can try and do it himself and save a little money, but I had my 18' awning replaced in the spring of '18 by ShadePro in Yuma, AZ. I paid $825 for acrylic installed. Vinyl would have been $675. While the acrylic looked nice it is water resistant but not water proof. Had it changed out for vinyl as I wanted full rain protection.

Personally I did not want to try and tackle this myself. If you've ever seen a large awning replacement actually done, its a pretty tough job and requires multiple adjustments to extend and retract correctly. Its not the same as a topper change out. Just saying!

Bill and Debbie said:
So the OP can try and do it himself and save a little money, but I had my 18' awning replaced in the spring of '18 by ShadePro in Yuma, AZ. I paid $825 for acrylic installed. Vinyl would have been $675. While the acrylic looked nice it is water resistant but not water proof. Had it changed out for vinyl as I wanted full rain protection.

Personally I did not want to try and tackle this myself. If you've ever seen a large awning replacement actually done, its a pretty tough job and requires multiple adjustments to extend and retract correctly. Its not the same as a topper change out. Just saying!

Everyone has their comfort level regarding mechanical repairs. While you aren't comfortable with doing this job many of us see it as no big deal. To each their own.
RichH

Bill and Debbie said:

I originally was going to just have it done, but after watching the "How-to" stuff on YouTube, I feel pretty good about trying it, myself - with a little help from a friend.

my only concern will be to find a shady spot to do the work.

New awning fabric is sitting here in the box.  Everything is ready to lift off as soon as my helpers get here on Sunday.  Doesn't look terribly challenging.  Arms are run out about a foot and tethered with ratchet straps, electrical is unhooked, old awning is cut and out of channel on trailer.  Need to pick up some 1/4" rivets at HFT, but should have it knocked out this weekend. 

I'm an old gearhead....can tackle just about anything.  Just didn't want to do it in the heat.  Once I figured out what the shops wanted, the heat didn't seem so bad.  :) 

Done.

Took 3 of us about 3 hours of actual work time.....beer breaks don't count.  :)  Not what I'd do for recreation, but not brain surgery either, and certainly not worth spending another $700 in labor on.  Took a couple of tries of setting the spring preload on the passive side to get it right, and it won't work correctly if that isn't correct.  First try the awning came flying out like a bat out of Hell when I hit the extend button.....requiring me to hit the retract button very quickly to get it stopped....then it struggled to retract.  Adjusted the preload 2 turns....better but not quite good.  Third time was a charm....unrolls and rolls back up correctly.  Took only about 3 minutes per try, so no big deal.

Anyhow....going to call this one a wrap.  RV Awnings Mart is awesome....$172 delivered to my door, and quality looks good.  Arrived in under a week.  I can't believe how small of a box they stuffed this thing into. 

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.  :)

Kheren said:
My husband and I did this last year. Took us half a day and now the awning doesn?t roll back in properly and I can no longer access the slide in groove for hooks and such. Lol....sigh.

Exactly what mine did on the first try.

The spring preload on the passive (non motor) side is incorrect.  Unplug the power coupling.  Remove the bolt for that side of the awning roller with the awning out about a foot and lift it out of the arm. Turn the end clockwise 2 turns while holding the roller, and put it back in.  Reinstall the bolt and plug the power coupling back together.  Should only take about 5 minutes.

See if it's better.  :)

{edit}  If the slide in groove is wrong, drill out the rivets and re-clock the roller end, then re-rivet.  Should fix that issue.  Do that first, then adjust the spring preload. 

Bill and Debbie said:
If you've ever seen a large awning replacement actually done, its a pretty tough job and requires multiple adjustments to extend and retract correctly. Its not the same as a topper change out. Just saying!

It's cumbersome, but I wouldn't call it tough.  And yes, multiple adjustments, but each takes about 5 minutes.  But as mentioned, it depends on your comfort level with this sort of thing.  The first time with anything there is a learning curve.....Next time it needs to be done, we'll have it knocked out in 2 hours. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom