Tips on Stopping Drafts Coming in Near Driver/Passenger Seats (wintering)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nannyinkansas

Hello all.  I hope you are able to provide me with some ideas on blocking the drafts that come in near the Driver/Passenger seats.  Its like the heat vents are open but they are not. We wintered in Wichita KS last year and put our seldom used items up in the floorboards to block what we could.  Was hoping for a better solution this year.  We are in Missouri for the winter now.  I looked at Campers World for a skirting but didn't see any for Class A vehicles. The park we are at doesn't allow hay bales and such either.
We have a 1998 Damon Intruder if it helps. Thank you in advance for any and all tips.

The most obvious thing to do is find where the draft is coming from.
If you can, have someone blow air from an air compressor hose to help find the leaks.
I have a 2001 Damon Daybreak and I noticed there are gaps near the front of the floor over the engine.  I was running wires and didn't have to make any holes to run them, I just passed them through the gaps.  That might be a location to find some of your drafts.
I also had to replace some of the 1/8" nylon vacuum tubing that controls the heater valving dampers.  If they are bad, you might be getting air blowing through the heater system.
Remove the "doghouse" over your engine and inspect the bulb gasket around the cover.  If it is bad, you might have to replace it.  You can get some at Mcmaster.com.  Just measure yours and find the same on their site under "gaskets and seals".
If you have gaps, you could seal them with an expanding foam sealer like "Great Stuff" at Ace Hardware or equal.  Just be careful, that stuff continues to expand after you spray it and it can get really big.  At least you can trim it easily when it hardens.
Good luck.

RTsRV

Use a drop light from inside and look underneath for light leaks. Then drop light underneath and look inside. If you have vacuum controlled heat the failsafe with no vacuum is usually the defrost vents.

Bill

Does the vehicle have fresh air intakes for the ventilation system? If it does, maybe that is letting in a draft.

Yes, it does but I checked it and no drafts from there. I think this weekend when it warms up and dries out,  I'm going to try some of the other suggestions.  Thank you for your advice.

My 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor had a air leak in the front of the cab. Whenever we drove down the road the air would come in around our feet. After several searches I determined that the air flow was entering the cab via the engine compartment cracks between the firewall and the body, where the two join together. I sprayed the corners of the firewall/cab/body joins with "Great Stuff"... Comes in a spray can and expands to fill the cracks. Lowe's and/or Home Depot should have it. You can trim it down if it gets to be too much. Worked wonders for the air flow. Reduced the hot air flow in the summer and the cold air in the winter. :)
Hope this helps

I also had air leaks with my Fleetwood Flair. Mine were where the firewall met the sidewalls. It looked to be a tight fit but the small crack sure let in a lot of cold air. The gap was small enough I just used white caulking in a squeeze tube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom