Tire Blowouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was not aware they made a US car that was limited to less than than the 80 mph speed limits in Wyoming - learn something every day.

I expect that Boomer was referring to max speed when being towed, not when driving on its own. And some vehicles may not be towed at all, unless on a trailer.

Larry N. said:
I expect that Boomer was referring to max speed when being towed, not when driving on its own. And some vehicles may not be towed at all, unless on a trailer.
Ah, I see what you are saying, - like transmission limitations etc. while towing, not tires.  My bad. 

Yeah, I've got an old fashioned, solid tow bar for my Jeep.  If I remember right, somewhere in the paperwork it mentioned not to tow above 65mph.  I never worried too much about it, as I tend to set the cruise on about 62-63 mph.  I figure it's easier on my 18 year old coach.
Those guys with the big new pushers, towing the full sized F150's are more than welcome to run down the road at 80.  I'm just not in that big a hurry.

I have had three rear tire blowouts--two were in 3013-14 and due to defective Michelin tires.  I got seven new tires from them as a result.  I also recently had a rear tire blowout, cause known.  It is very scary to hear that very loud explosion and have to find a quick place to pull over in heavy traffic, and it made me jumpy for a couple of months.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure everyone in wearing a seat belt.  No wandering around in the rig as you drive. If someone needs a snack or to use the bathroom, they have to wait until you can pull over.  That will certainly increase survive-ability in a crash.  Ditto for making sure there are no loose objects that can become airborne in an accident.  As the Ford test track safety manager once told me, even an apple can be fatal in a rollover. (I was working on a safety course for Ford employees.)  That also applies to coffee makers, suitcases, etc.  He recommended putting briefcases in the trunk or belting them in through the handles!!  So, please, no magnetic knife racks in your motorhome!!!

Also, as a driver, always keep your hands on the steering wheel and your attention on the road ahead of you for chunks of metal and anything else you might run over.  Recently, a big cement truck ahead of me lost the entire tread from one enormous tire.  It came rolling down towards me, and I braked strongly but not in a panic.  I was in the center lane and chose NOT to swerve at the last minute into another lane because I did not want to lose control.  I hit it at a slower speed, and it did damage my steps, but that was better than losing control. 

And finally, I drive between 60 and 65, unless it is windy or rainy, when I drive even more slowly. And I always make sure my two newest tires are on the front.  The one thing I do not have is a tire pressure monitor, which I need to get, but I do get the tires checked often.  I have driven 120,000 miles in past 6 years full-timing, and it is certainly sometimes scary, but you have to just take it easy and get off the road if conditions warrant. Drive what you SHOULD, not what you CAN, manufacturer ratings or not.

Thanks all!!  A lot to ponder.  And thanks Judy for saying you make sure your two newest tires are on the front.  I always do that with my cars, so that makes perfect sense.

And if you have a tire dealer try to convince you it is illegal to put two new tires on the front and not on the back, go somewhere else!  I had one guy tell me it was California law, so I asked him to state where and get me a copy.  He called his chain's headquarters who told him it was a recommendation but NOT a state law. 

He was basically telling me that new tires should go on rear tires first, not the front.  I said this was not a car, that this vehicle had dual tires on the rear so a blowout or failure there was not as serious as a front blowout which could cause me to lose control.  (I had hit something and had one tire which had a leak that could not be fixed and one tire that was cracked, plus two other tires were only a couple of years old.)  Anyway, I get tired of "experts" who think they know more than I do about my vehicle.

Also, I took a cell phone photo of the federal manufacturers label inside my RV that shows recommended tire pressure because I got tired of arguing with tire places about how much air should be in my tires.  (Is it only older women that they give this much trouble to???)  One stupid guy at an independent RV repair place tried to tell me that his "friend" worked for an RV dealer and told him front tires should have only 65 pounds and rears 70.  Well, mine call for 75 in front and 80 in rear.  I verify what they put in every single time I get tire pressure checked!!  Grrrrr.

We bought into the steering stabilizer from Roadmaster that supposes to take that initial shock out front tire blowing and help control the rig.  It like a big shock absorber on the steering.  I have no idea if works or not and I hope I never have to find out.

Regarding tire pressure.. ODDS are that sticker is off on the proper pressure for your RV. Most likely it's low  THe only way to be sure is to scale it.  Each wheel independently.  rvsafety.com used to have links to a mobile weight service (portable scales like the diesel smokies carry) or make friends with a motor carrier officer.

The main reason you shouldn't drive any heavy or combo vehicle 80 MPH... is how long it takes that vehicle to get stopped.

It reminds me of a truck and trailer I was riding in on the freeway years ago,

As we came around a curve at 60+ mph we looked up and saw cars stopped right in front of us.

We hit 'em at about 50 MPH,  and then we gently rolled to a stop with 4 cars stacked up on our front bumper.

We just couldn't get the truck stopped in time.

Slow down......no one should ever drive an RV 80 mph.     

Some popular Michelin RV tires are speed rated at 75 mph. So, even if the motor home is speed rated for 80 mph, the motorhome will (should be) limited to 75 mph if it is equipped with these Michelin speed rated tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom