Tire Covers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadixon49

I pick up my new MH, a Thor Freedom Elite 22, from Camping World Indy tomorrow, Thurs. 01/21. It will immediately go into storage in an outdoor lot. 3" of snow on the ground and temps below 30F for the foreseeable future. Should I cover the tires? I know not to put any water in the unit, even to do pre-delivery checks, that will just have to wait, but was wondering other pre storage items. I'm very new at this.

Thanks steve

Welcome to RV'ing!  This is a VERY common discussion topic here.  You might want to check out the search box at the top of the forum page for previous tire cover conversations.

My question is: do you cover the tires on your car?  Likely not.  The best way to maintain tire health is to keep them properly inflated, and MOVE them to circulate chemicals in the rubber.  Covers will not accomplish a whole lot unless your rig is in a hot climate and regularly exposed to high levels of UV radiation.  I'm guessing that's not the case in Indy with the recent snow we got here in the Midwest.  ;)

I plan on getting a cover soon for my exposed spare tire, since it just sits exposed to the elements on the back of my trailer and never moves.  It will be "military pack cover" material, that lets air and water in and out (don't want to trap either one of those against the rubber) but blocks UV rays.

Your tires will age if left exposed to the sun. Common lifespan is said to be only 7 years until the reliability of a otherwise properly cared for tire becomes suspect. If you carefully cover the tires whenever sitting longer than a week you can expect an otherwise properly cared for tire to last about 84 months.

ken

Unless they give you a "we owe" for the water system PDI, I would have them put water in it to make sure the plumbing was leak free and the water pump works. Have them winterize it after.

kdbgoat said:
Unless they give you a "we owe" for the water system PDI, I would have them put water in it to make sure the plumbing was leak free and the water pump works. Have them winterize it after.
I'd have the dealer run Antifreeze thru the system and leak check it prior to delivery, there no telling if there has already been water in it, and yes cover the tires.

Tom/Barb said:
I'd have the dealer run Antifreeze thru the system and leak check it prior to delivery, there no telling if there has already been water in it, and yes cover the tires.

The unit is brand new, I know, or at least strongly suspect, that no water has ever been in it. But I will take these suggestions under advisement, and see what the dealer says is most prudent. He'll probably want to do what's best for him, no PDI inspection now, and no delayed inspection later, but I intend to hold him to the inspection, either now, or post freezing weather, later. BTW we're only talking about the water system portion of the PDI not the entire PDI.

steve

bucks2 said:
Your tires will age if left exposed to the sun. Common lifespan is said to be only 7 years until the reliability of a otherwise properly cared for tire becomes suspect. If you carefully cover the tires whenever sitting longer than a week you can expect an otherwise properly cared for tire to last about 84 months.

ken

So, your saying my tires should last 7 years if I do nothing, and 84 Months if I cover them? I vote for  spend no more than I have to.

steve

Scottydl:
I didn't think of the non-vinyl tire cover option, thanks!  I need 5.  When I took the spare white vinyl cover off, there was a large bird nest inside and a bit of white moldy looking stuff on the tire sidewall.  (Tire 2007).

If this is what you were talking about, looks like a good deal.  Camo or snow white.  $2.89 + s/h.
May need to check to see if it's brand new though, as the description says "very good" condition.

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0005.html

scottydl said:
My question is: do you cover the tires on your car?  Likely not. 

There is a distinct difference between one's car and the average RV, in that most people end up replacing their car tires due to tread wear before 5 years where as the average RV tends not to accumulate as many miles and reach the 5 year recommended replacement before tire wear.  The exception may be some full timers who are traveling a lot.

deloni said:
I didn't think of the non-vinyl tire cover option, thanks!  I need 5.  When I took the spare white vinyl cover off, there was a large bird nest inside and a bit of white moldy looking stuff on the tire sidewall.  (Tire 2007).

The link you posted is probably similar material... I just ran across the idea when I was shopping tire covers on ebay recently.  Here's the listing I'll probably buy from, under $10 which is the cheapest in terms of pack cover that has been retrofitted for a tight fit around a tire.

Gizmo said:
There is a distinct difference between one's car and the average RV, in that most people end up replacing their car tires due to tread wear before 5 years where as the average RV tends not to accumulate as many miles and reach the 5 year recommended replacement before tire wear.  The exception may be some full timers who are traveling a lot.

My point exactly... from the dozens (hundreds?) of past discussions on tire covers here, it seems redundant to cover RV tires that are going to need replacement long before the exterior surface of the rubber wears out.  And many non-breathing covers can actually damage the tires, if they trap in moisture and/or heat over time.

Back
Top Bottom