Tire Failure On Pop Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John In Detroit said:
I believe Harbor Freight now has infra red thermoters.

They sure do John. I saw them there last week, but IIRC they seemed a little pricey.

Gary,

Are you saying that the cracking is not a good indicator of tire condition?  I'm not sure how old the tires were on my popup because I bought it used.  Based on the fact that the shaded spare was not cracked and the exposed tires in use were heavily cracked, I assumed that a cover would provide some measure of protection.  I know that this does nothing to protect it from exposure to ozone but it looks like the exposure to sunlight was the primary factor in the premature cracking.

I also sprayed all the tires with some protectant (not just tire shine).  Does anyone have any good reccomendations for what type of protectant works the best to help with tire longevity?

Irishbrewer,

I have used 303 protectant on some rubber parts which used to fail yearly. Haven't had a failure in about 4 years now. It should be fine for tires as well.

I have heard that putting covers over the tires is not good. They don't get any air circulation. The best way to protect them is hang the cover from the wheel well. Four snaps around the lip should do it. This will allow air to circulate and the tire can breathe.

Tom: (and all)) I hadn't known about the product, when I read about it here. So, I had no idea as to a reasonable price. AutoZone had quite a few models, ten or less. Prices ran from $40.00 to $180.00. As I said, I bought the top model on sale for $90.00. They had the same model without the laser aimer, but not on sale. I would have had to pay considerably more for the same model without the laser. (Duh!)

Don't know if it was worth it or not, from a level headed perspective. But, I like it and have played with it just for the heck of it. Aim it anywhere, and you get the temperature, there. Just walk along and take the temperature of whatever you are close to - the water in that stream - the lid on that garbage can in the sun - the ground in the shade vs in the sun - the dog's fur...... I'll bet you could get into trouble with that, if you let your imagination go too far. Think I'll stop there.

Ray D

Ray,

I use mine at every stop for a quick check. Takes a minute or so to walk around the coach and the toad, aiming the IR thermometer at each tire. I started doing is before I bought the PressurePro tire pressure monitoring system and I continue to do it although it's probably not necessary any more.

Are you saying that the cracking is not a good indicator of tire condition?

Yes, that's what I am saying. Lack of cracks does not mean "good" and the presence of surface cracks does not necesarily mean "bad", though it is certainly good reason for a closer inspection.

I explained about tire dates codes because the "bought it used" situation is quite common. Tire dates codes allow you to establish the actual date of tire manufacture for each tire, which is more relevent than the date the tire was purchased anyway. A tire which sits in the manufacturer's warehouse for 7 years is a "dead" tire, even though it was never sold, never used and probably never saw the light of day.

Back
Top Bottom