Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CuriousGeorge

Own a single axle Winnebago Winnie Drop WD1780 and looking to install a tire pressure monitoring system.  Checking online, there are the usual overwhelming number of reviews, models, opinions and prices up to several hundred dollars. 

Just want a simple inexpensive two tire system that is reliable.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Not sure what you consider to be inexpensive, solely dependent on an individuals budget and/or willingness to spend.  Reliable and inexpensive do not always go hand in hand, the old saying do you want it cheap or good.  I consider a TPMS essential safety equipment, so reliability was the main factor in my decision. What I can recommend is the TST system which has proven to be reliable, has a color monitor screen, making viewing with sun glare easy and while some units do not come with a repeater, rather sold as an option, the TST does come with one, although I have found with my 5th wheel the signal is strong enough to reach the display in my cab.  Finally the TST was super easy to program.

I am also considering a TPMS for my 37' Fleetwood DP.  I put on new tires last year.

Can someone recommend some decent options?  I know nothing about TPMS.  My first step usually is to go to Amazon and search looking for "recommended" items.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Those two are both solidly performing systems.  However, TPMS technology is pretty much a commodity now and any of the available brands should be satisfactory.  I'd lean toward those two big brands to have a better chance of getting replacements or customer service if needed in the future, but that's probably not a big factor when you can get a Favato or Tymate 4-sensor system for under $70. That puts them almost into the "disposable product" category.

Choose a system that can be mounted where it is readily visible and has a screen big enough that your don't have to squint.  If the TPMS alarm goes off, you may need to see what's up very quickly!

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems-TPMS/b?ie=UTF8&node=2201765011

I inherited the one I have with the RV I bought and it works as advertised.  But I've learned a bit about them and if I were to buy a new one I would look for the following:

Replaceable batteries on sensors.  The one I have you send sensors that crap out back for exchange but the exchange price isn't much less than outright replacement.  Having replaceable batteries tends to make sensors a little bigger and there's a chance they could leak water in, but I think that's a fair trade vs having to basically replace a sensor for want of a $2 battery.

Must have it's own display/interface and not rely on a cell phone app.  While the app-based ones are "pretty" and can give you all sorts of curious and interesting data, I don't want to have a phone on all the time to see it.  At the end of the day all you need is to see your pressures and have the thing squawk when there's a pressure change event.

Make sure the unit can accommodate enough sensors to cover all your pressurized tires for the coach and toad which includes the spares, plus have a few spare sensors.  That many sensors for some systems can get spendy but there's nothing better to hop in the driver seat and see the pressures of all the tires in one place, and monitor everything as you roll.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Those two are both solidly performing systems.  However, TPMS technology is pretty much a commodity now and any of the available brands should be satisfactory.  I'd lean toward those two big brands to have a better chance of getting replacements or customer service if needed in the future, but that's probably not a big factor when you can get a Favato or Tymate 4-sensor system for under $70. That puts them almost into the "disposable product" category.

Choose a system that can be mounted where it is readily visible and has a screen big enough that your don't have to squint.  If the TPMS alarm goes off, you may need to see what's up very quickly!

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems-TPMS/b?ie=UTF8&node=2201765011

Thank you Gary.  I have a silly question:  Do you recommend a system that has a sensor for each of the 6 tires?  I assume yes.  As opposed to a 4 sensor system just for the rear tires. 

I am only fair about checking air pressure - about every other trip.  I realize I should do this before each trip. 

thelazyl said:
Do you recommend a system that has a sensor for each of the 6 tires?  I assume yes.  As opposed to a 4 sensor system just for the rear tires. 

Every tire of both the towing and towed vehicles

Do you recommend a system that has a sensor for each of the 6 tires?
Absolutely! I cannot imagine why anybody would buy a TPMS and not have it handle all the tires. Including a towed vehicle, if any. The towed vehicle may have its own TPMS, but if you can't get warnings from it while towing, it may as well be on the moon.

So true, Gary!  We have sensors on all eight motorhome tires and all four Jeep tires.

ArdraF

I used to use a Pressur-Pro system (Alas it wore out) that covered both the RV and the Towed.

The Receiver could be switched between RV/Towed/BOTH 

Saved me a tire on the towed by alarming. I added air and finished the trip adding air daily to the tire. finally got back home and went to my Tire Store where they found I'd been Screwed. So they removed the screw and installed a proper internal patch in it's place and all was good.

NY_Dutch said:
Since the OP has single axle TT, if his tow vehicle has a factory TPMS then all he needs is a two sensor system for the TT.

Yes and no, it is true the op only needs 2 for his trailer, but an argument can be made to also include the tow vehicle even if it already has a TPMS.  When I purchased my TST TPMS, I toyed with the idea of adding sensors for my truck even though it has a TPMS system.  I chose not to only because I always keep the trucks dash display on the TPMS and monitor it frequently during my drives.  The fact I might miss a sudden drop in pressure for lack of an alarm such as the TST has, makes a good case to reconsider.

Gizmo said:
Yes and no, it is true the op only needs 2 for his trailer, but an argument can be made to also include the tow vehicle even if it already has a TPMS.  When I purchased my TST TPMS, I toyed with the idea of adding sensors for my truck even though it has a TPMS system.  I chose not to only because I always keep the trucks dash display on the TPMS and monitor it frequently during my drives.  The fact I might miss a sudden drop in pressure for lack of an alarm such as the TST has, makes a good case to reconsider.
All factory TPMS on vehicles are not created equal. My 2007 F-150 has a "TPMS" but it just tells me there is a tire problem by sounding an alarm and displaying a dash light. On the other hand, my 2015 Jeep Wrangler sounds an alarm and also displays the current pressure on each of the four tires, so I can tell at a glance which tire and how bad.

So whether the tow vehicle needs an external TPMS is dependent on what's on board.

My thinking in suggesting the two tire system if the tow vehicle is already TPMS equipped was in answer to the OP's request:

"Just want a simple inexpensive two tire system that is reliable.  Any suggestions?"

Back
Top Bottom