Tire Pressure Monitoring System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itchn2go

My tale of woe: Not brand specific. I was advised I needed metal valve stems on my toads wheels as the rubber ones were to flimsy. Called my local backyard man who had sold me the tires and told him I was installing a TPM and needed metal vale stems, sure it is a easy fix, bring it down.

Rode around town for four weeks without the sensors as I was advised to put the sensors on only when traveling.

Our first trip with the sensors on I drove 22 miles and can tell you the system worked very well as I had a flat tire..I was focused on getting the tire fixed with road service( not changed) so I found a road service with compressor that could remove the tire and repair it on the road. They came and after removing the tire found the valve stem loose, tightened it and it held air just fine. $217.00, Milage and Labor. Continued on our trip and after 15 miles another tire went down. Monitor did a fine job. Called the service man back found another valve stem loose on the flat and another that needed tightening and the fourth valve stem OK.
Another $240.00 as the milage was further but the labor was the same. After all this we continued on toward our getaway, not any more trouble and had a wonderful time. No reimbursement from the back yard guy after all the tires held air for four weeks without the sensors but I told you I was installing them to put sensors on and they didn't hold air...Tough.

The moral: If you have to change valve stems, use a reputable business, be sure they are extra tight and put the sensors on right away to see if the stems are installed to hold air. Don't wait till you go on a trip.  Now in retrospect there were other solutions to my problem without having the tires fixed on the side of the road yet in the heat of the moment they sure didn't come to mind. I just wanted to continue my trip. Think before your react...Good Miles

I would like to have a TPM system but it's too expensive for me. The sensors are $60 each plus when the batteries run down you have to send them back to the manufacturer for exchange sensors??........I'll wait a few years and cross my fingers I'm not messing up :)

Wristpin said:
I would like to have a TPM system but it's too expensive for me. The sensors are $60 each plus when the batteries run down you have to send them back to the manufacturer for exchange sensors??........I'll wait a few years and cross my fingers I'm not messing up :)

Wristpin

PressurePro sensors are only $50 each and the batteries in the sensors usually last over 5 years. Mine are going on 7. When the batteries wear out, the factory will replace them with brand new sensors for $30 each. Not bad for over 10 years of protection.

My sensors stay on all the time. I've found that frequently removing and reinstalling causes problems with the seals on the sensor, so I just leave them on.

Like Bernie's, mine are starting their 7th year.

My sensors stay on all the time too but I don't seem to be getting the expected battery life.  I had to replace one this summer after less than three years and I have another which is giving me the "lost sensor" signal off and on now... the symptom of the first failed sensor.

Rick

There is a new system that has replacable batterys, its the TST 507 . They say the battery life is up to 1 year and the batterys are only a couple dollars . The 1 year estimate is based on full time use . I plan on buying one of these in Quartszite this year at the annual RV show. Several have commented on this new system on another forum , and seem to like them. Have a good day...Scott

Pierat said:
Gary - No problem with a sensor seizing onto the stem when it's been on that long? - John

At the recommendation of Pressure Pro, I put a dab of anti-seize on each stem before screwing on the sensor and they go on and off with no problem.  This is just on the towed, not the motorhome as the motorhome extenders don't have a seizing problem.

Right, our truck has aluminum stems while the coach has plated brass or steel.

Ned , on the tpms I just returned , I used a little Teflon Tape on the valve stems. Would the tape work on the Aluminum stems ? I did it to ensure that they wouldnt come loose, I had regular rubber stems ( brass heads ) on the truck , and aluminum stems on the trailer, thankfully I never had a problem. ...Scott

I find the anti-seize to be easier to apply and the tape won't prevent the two metals from contacting each other, possibly bonding.

shooterdad said:
There is a new system that has replacable batterys, its the TST 507 . They say the battery life is up to 1 year and the batterys are only a couple dollars . The 1 year estimate is based on full time use . I plan on buying one of these in Quartszite this year at the annual RV show. Several have commented on this new system on another forum , and seem to like them. Have a good day...Scott

shooterdad,

Run out the numbers on TST's two systems. Remember, the batts on the 507 system have to be changed out each year while the batts on the 510 system last for 5 years. In my case, after running the numbers I'd rather go with the 510 and spend the $19.95/sensor every 5 years.

Bruce, I know what you are saying, numbers wise its almost a wash, however the monitor on the 507 can be used wireless,and since I take mine in and out between trips , it is a plus to have the 507 monitor. Ned has what I feel is the best set up with the pressure pro. The down side for the PP for me is 1, I hate the antiquated monitor and 2, the cost of replacing sensors, PP replacements are 35.00 each...Ouch . For a ten tire system , thats 350.00. I can just about buy the TST for that. I just returned the Doran system after 6 months , it would give false readings (lost sensor signals) and would take an hour to recover. I sent it back to them twice and the last time I got it back 2 of the new sensors were bad..I had enough, but I will say they were very helpful as well as understanding and refunded my full purchase price. I have a friend who bought the 507 last week , and he has had fits with his. He bought a 14 tire system with the reapeter and he has had some of the same problems as I did with the Doran, false signals , lost sensors and slow recovery, 4 of his sensors were bad right out of the box, it doesnt make me feel real warm and fuzzy to know that... So I may end up with the pressure pro by default....lol  Have a great evening...Scott

I didn't replace my tire stems (they're rubber) and I leave the sensors on all the time. I haven't had any leaks or other problems on the toad.

The coach is a different story. The two front sensors caused the tires to have a slow leak after I put on tire valve extensions from the Dually Valve folks. I removed the sensor and the slow leaks went away. I haven't gotten around to playing with them to fix the problem, yet.

The quality of the seal between the sensor and the valve stem varies with the machining of the valve stem. The stems on my toad are prone to leak if the washer in the sensor is anything other than pristine (one of the reasons I prefer to leave them on), whereas the ones on this coach always seal up nicely and have never leaked. Ditto for our previous coach. The previous toad (same sensors) sealed up nicely except for one tire that always had a slow leak. I gently filed the top of that valve stem to smooth it off and the problem went away.

shooterdad said:
Bruce, I know what you are saying, numbers wise its almost a wash, however the monitor on the 507 can be used wireless,and since I take mine in and out between trips , it is a plus to have the 507 monitor.

I'm a little confused. Aren't both the 507 and 510 monitors wireless?

Bruce , I dont believe the 510 monitor is wireless, it has a permanent 12 volt cord. I wish they made there monitors a little larger. TST seems to have a good reputation for customer service , it just looks like they are having to workn out some of the bugs in there new system. Have a good day...Scott

Fair to assume that the cold we get up here north of the border would have an adverse effect on the sensor batteries, should I choose to buy a TPMS system?  I'd really hate to have to send the sensors back every 2 years because the cold drains them hard.

I believe there is a system that the user can change their own batteries, is there not? 

diehard said:
Fair to assume that the cold we get up here north of the border would have an adverse effect on the sensor batteries, should I choose to buy a TPMS system?  I'd really hate to have to send the sensors back every 2 years because the cold drains them hard.
Cold shouldn't drain batteries more than warmer.  However while they are cold you won't get the capacity out of them.  But all that means, I think, is that they might not have enough amperage that final year they might if the battery was warmer.  There should be enough amps, or microamps, until then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihesselden
Back
Top Bottom