Tire Size going from 215 to 235

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbutler365

I am needing a set of tires for my 2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum 5th wheel.
It came and calls for LT215/85R 16 load range E.

I was wondering if anybody has installed a more common and thus less expensive tire the LT235/85R 16 load range E?

That is the same tire that the work horse is pulling this 5th Wheel (2000 Ford F 350 crew cab diesel).

Here is a the difference in sizes between those two tire:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=215-85r16-235-85r16

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

I have two comments.

First is to make sure that you have sufficient clearence in the wheel wells so that you do not have any rubbing especially on compression from bounce.

The second comment relates to your overall height of the trailer.  I mostly mention this because I have a Stacker trailer that is 13 feet 6 inches high.  I would like to put larger tires on it but I would worry about low clearence bridges.  You probably do not have to worry but I thought I would mention it

Can you get the tire you want in a different aspect ratio? IE: 235-75 or 235-80? Either of those will put you closer to the original diameter.

Usually a small size difference is no sweat on a trailer, unless the two axles are mounted very close to each other.  Just make sure the extra diameter won't bring the two (front & rear axle) wheels in contact and that there is plenty of room above the tire so that the extra diameter won't cause it to rub on the wheel well. Usually not a problem, but every trailer is different.  The extra width is rarely ever an issue on a trailer wheel well.

Thanks for the replies.

As for the overall height I am right at 12 foot (11'  10").

Will measure my clearance with the LT215/85R 16 and see how much room I have to spare.

Going with the LT235/85R 16 should only raise me up 1.18 inches or in fractions 1 3/16 and that is overall height of the total tire.

Thanks,
Bill

Id doubt you will gain any issues out of roughly 1 1/4 inches. The only conecern I would have would be tandem axles are sometimes very close. and two tires together closes the gap by 2 1/2 inches. Mine are only about 5 inches apart as is.

I am needing a set of tires for my 2004 Fleetwood Terry Quantum 5th wheel.
It came and calls for LT215/85R 16 load range E.

I was wondering if anybody has installed a more common and thus less expensive tire the LT235/85R 16 load range E?
The Firestone Transforce LT235/85-16 E is 145 bucks on the tirerack.com...
And the same brand LT215/85-16 E is 125 bucks .

The LT235/85 tire at 3042 lbs and the LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs are very popular and all USA brands carry them. Both have been OEM tires on DRW trucks depending on year model.

As others say the 235/85 is a wider/taller tire so check your particular trailers wheel well and distance between the tires.
Dexter says a 1" minimum between the tires. I use the LT215/85-16 E on my 11200 lb 5er with std leaf spring suspension and have about 2 3/4" at the top of the tire.

When I ran commercially I used the 235 tires on the trucks and GN trailers. Wheels won't work between the truck and trailer but the tires will inter change.

Back
Top Bottom