Tires from hell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
RVs are the only service where tires are run at or near (and sometimes above) their maximum weight ratings 100% of the time.
Maybe so, I don't know.  Very few RVs (cl a) even carry a spare whereas Baja Race trucks carry two spares and use them often so the loads on the tires at 90mph through the desert must be way over 100%.  RPM stress at the drag strip would be pretty high as well. 

We let the tires sit in one position for weeks or months at a time with their full rated load on them, then we get in and run them at highway speeds for hours on end.  Then they sit in one place again.
unless you have jacks but it's a static load and they do have a high margin, 3X?  55-60mph is a "highway" speed but pretty slow by most standards.

Passenger cars rarely load their tires to 100% of their rated capacity.  In most cases, the majority of their use is at low or medium speeds, with relatively few periods of sustained high speed running.
  Maybe where you live, I don't know.  Out here, folks drive 90+, often.  The pickups are full and pulling backhoe's, excavators, big loads, steep roads, gravel/unpaved roads,

Commercial trucks run at highway speeds for hours on end, but they're not loaded at 100% all of the time.  And they rarely sit in one place for more than 8-12 hours if they're loaded.
Busses too I guess and they use re-treads too...?

The problem is you are trying to describe one tire fits all. There are completely different tires designed for each of those situations. An RV tire is built differently than a truck tire (which even have steer and drive wheel configurations), which is built differently than a car tire (which could be summer, winter or all-weather designs), which is built differently than a car race tire (which may be a rain or dry tire), etc. Each type is built to the requirements of the conditions under which they will be used. However they are all subject to the possibility of going flat.

old bulger said:
Yes....those wonderful Michelin XRV tires. If they exploded,  you either ran them for too many years or you did not keep them inflated properly. Improper inflation causes more tire problems than anything else. Always check the air in your RV tires before you take off if the RV has been sitting for a couple of weeks. I just had a new set of XRV's put on my 37' Class A Holiday Rambler. Would not even consider any other tire brands.

Ah, a Michelin apologist.  Fact: the XRV is JUNK.  Some actually exploded (the infamous XRV sidewall zipper failure) while PARKED.  I have never used (and will never use) them...my old trailer ran Tow Masters, my Genesis uses real commercial-grade TRUCK tires.  Right now, it has Bridgestone on the front, Goodyear circle-caps on the rear.  I will not buy Michelin tires under any circumstances.

My 2004 Itasca 32V (purchased 2 years ago) has the original XRV Michelins with 45 k miles (72k kilometers) and have never given a stitch of trouble for me or the original owner. They don't leak nor run hot.  My biggest concern now is the age and the tread wear remaining.  50% tread left on the front anf 40% on the rears.  The fact that they are 7 years old concerns me.  I'm heading south from Canada to Yuma in January when it's cold outside. Should I be replacing them now or wait until next year.  If I replace what do most recommend, another set of Michelins XRV or Good Year G670 RV or is there something as good for less money.

I personally don't think it matters much which brand you go with. Some people prefer Chevrolet, some prefer Ford and it appears to be the same with tires.

Having had 8 year old tires once and 3 blow outs in a single season (one with some extensive damage to the floor) I will NOT run tires older than 7 years regardless of tread remaining.

I now have Firestone TransForce HT's and love them.

artdecamper said:
My biggest concern now is the age and the tread wear remaining.  50% tread left on the front anf 40% on the rears.  The fact that they are 7 years old concerns me.
Age is the problem.  Tread wear, in your case, is not. Among the other many folks recommending replacement fire trucks also replace their tires at seven years.   
http://firechief.com/apparatus/old_tires07132007/
Fire trucks generally don't spend much time in the sun and, I would assume, have some A/C in summer in the southern USA.

I had the G670 on my 2003 33FT. Itasca original tires low mileage and blew two of them.One coming back from Florida in the middle of Detroit good thing it was an inside dual didn't feel anything just heard the bang didn't stop until the rest area outside of Detroit. Anyway all the cords were rusted and broke. So I have a new set of tires from Michelin now the XZE which is suppose to be a commercial truck tire and actually cheaper than the RV tire ride is good and I feel more at ease with them.
Perry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom