Tires. Holy expensive, Batman.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(1) The 08's on the back are pretty old (although they look good), so want to replace. The 2010's on the front look good, but are now working on 6 years old. I've heard people say replace after 5 years, but heard others say that's overkill. Would you consider keeping the 2010's on there?

I would run the 2010's to 7 years. Maybe even 8.

(2) Heard about the FMCA program... Michelin Advantage. What are the potential savings here? Would need to get installed in the Tampa Bay area (where I live). Worth joining for this?

Probably, but some Michelin dealers will discount pretty close to the Advantage price. You just have to shop around and bargain well. With the Advantage programs, you can get the same decent price from any participating dealer. Sometimes you can actually beat the Advantage price at a high volume dealer, but I suspect not on the 235/80 size. It is unique to Rvs and to Michelin, so typically not competitively priced.

(3) What about non-Michelins.

That would be my preference. Many quality brands out there, and most cheaper than Michelin. Bridgestone/Firestone, Toyo, Continental, Hankook, Yakohoma, to name a few.

Everyone has their opinion about tires, kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing, so might as well throw in mine all though I have no intention to flame other opinions. As far as I'm concerned we used Michelin at work for many, many years on the OTR fleet simply because they were the best cost per hour. Michelin will recap their casing for 10 yrs, no one else will do that because their casing won't last. The casing is the heart of the tire and the durometer and mixture of the rubber used will determine how long the tread will last, how smooth a ride, how quiet, etc, etc. RV's never wear out the tread, we almost always time them out. If you are in the camp that says because of immanent catastrophic failure you have to replace at 5 yrs. then you don't need to read any farther, use the best tires you can find at the lowest price and replace every 5 yrs.
If you don't mind looking at your sidewalls a couple times per year and you actually pay attention to things like overloading and, are going to use the tires by actually putting miles on them you might want to rethink the cost of Michelins. I run mine 8-10 yrs based on my travel schedule without ever having a problem (last set was 9+ yrs.). Do the math, the cheap tires every 5 yrs or the Michelins every 8-10 and see which is the best cost per hour. Again, you need to know you are not overloading, you need to be able to get under with a flashlight and look at the inner dual sidewalls and you need to treat tires like any other mechanical component on your rig. If you take care of them you will not have any issues. If you just sit in a CG and only put on 4-5k miles per year you are going to get superficial sidewall cracks. These are not a big deal but you need to understand the reasoning behind them and know the diff between a superficial crack and a sidewall cut. If you don't know the diff then go to a dealer and have them take a look. You do not have to break down the tire for inspection, just look at the outside. You should also be using a TPMS system just in case you pick up a nail etc and keep driving for 4 more hrs, how do you know if that tire is getting low on air and getting hot? Not paying attention means it gets hot, blows out and now you have a problem.
I have always been able to replace my tires by purchasing at Discount tire then bringing them to a local shop for install (app $25/tire) and by adding for the Counteract beads ($75 for all 6 bags incl filtered valve stems), Dyna beads are the same just more $. I also went from the stock 235's to the 255's XRV. There are a lot of options when it comes to tires and there are a lot of great mfr's out there (Toyo, Goodyear, Goodrich), you have to decide based on how you are going to treat the tire (mileage, speed and loading practices) and what makes you sleep good at night. I know this is an expensive purchase but you can make it a reasonable cost if you think it through, just part of the purchase (you didn't buy a truck with a canopy right). I've no connection with any mfr but I'm sure I'll get flamed anyway. Good luck with it either way.  ;D

This is the W22 chassis, so the question is... CAN I use a non-Michelin tire seeing as I have to use a different size to do so?

Just replaced my front steer tires here in Mesa, Arizona, Michelins, after 8 years and they still looked good, no cracks. I installed 2 new Michelins. Total cost out the door was $1,440.00. So I am pleased with Michelins. Installed on my wifes Honda CRV as well. My advise would be to replace the older tires this year, as Gary mentioned above, and replace the others next season. I always do that, I stagger the tire purchases so it is not such a big hit all at once.

Bill

At the Western Area FMCA Rally last week a rep from Pete's Tire in CA said Michelin now warrantees their sidewalls for ten years.

I haven't verified that with Michelin but that sounds like they believe they will last that long. Of course it probably means that they replace the tire that tore up the RV with a prorated tire.

drisley said:
This is the W22 chassis, so the question is... CAN I use a non-Michelin tire seeing as I have to use a different size to do so?

I would. But you have to make sure you can get a tire that has the load rating or better than what's on there now. Looks like Michelin is the only company that makes that size. There has to be others that makes a tire to replace it with. The bad experiences I've had with  Michelin, I'll never buy a new set. My buddy and I just removed a set of china tires off his coach with a date code of 04 and those tires didn't have one crack in them, they looked as good as 2 year old tires. I would find something close as I could.

I found this on line.  https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=235-80r22.5-255-75r22.5

I would go with 255/75/22.5 to get away from Michelin if I were buying them. Gives you a lot more tires to choose from.

Try adding TOYO to the list of tires I have 6 on my 38' DP and love them.  Smooth ride, low cost $2500 out the door

If I get confirmation that I can indeed put non-Michelins onto this thing, I will. I just need to ensure that the spacing on the duals in the back will be OK. Will need to talk with the tire guy locally.

drisley said:
If I get confirmation that I can indeed put non-Michelins onto this thing, I will. I just need to ensure that the spacing on the duals in the back will be OK. Will need to talk with the tire guy locally.

The chart I linked to shows the 255 is almost 3/4 of an inch wider so only about 3/4 of an inch closer together for the pair. They will throw the speedo off a little but not enough to make a difference. 

Or this ad for Toyo.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyo-Rv-Tires-245-75R22-5-Includes-Shipping-Installation-/261884889622?hash=item3cf98e4a16:g:5QEAAOSwgkRVUV13&vxp=mtr

Or here            http://simpletire.com/toyo-245-75r22.5-548770-tires?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=41726&gclid=CN7BzdT4psoCFZOCaQod8M0L2A

That's where I bought my tires from a few weeks ago. Had good service from them. If you can find an installer in your area. I used dyna beads in my tires but haven't run them yet.

How much spacing SHOULD there be between the duals to avoid any issues?

drisley said:
Anyway, only gotten one estimate so far locally - for 6 new XRVs - and it came in around $3200 out the door. I knew these things aren't cheap, but was hoping to be less (of course).

Methinks, someone is taking the p*ss. Over here, in the UK, the W22 chassis tyre is a funny size and has to be ordered especially. I paid about ?150 per wheel approx $200 ishhhhhhhh per wheel fitted, including balancing, all be it for a budget tyre, but they are serving me well as they run better than the original Goodyear ones.  8)

drisley said:
How much spacing SHOULD there be between the duals to avoid any issues?

It's not like those tires are going in opposite directions.....

TonyDtorch said:
It's not like those tires are going in opposite directions.....
I know, but if the spacing is too small, you can run into problems. For instance, air pressure get a little low and/or you hit stuff in the road. Tires touch and rub, etc.

Anyway, I think the Hankooks are only about 0.6" wider than the Michelins. So, given half that on the inside, that's 0.6" closer together in the duals. Should still be a couple inches or so between the rubber. Should be OK. Will confirm later. I won't be in a position to do anything about this for a couple weeks or so anyway. Wife has us driving up to North Carolina for few days.... in the CAR. :/

This is not easy for the layman to answer, which is probably why most tire shops ignore it.  Dual spacing is a matter of both tread width and the "bulge" of the tire sidewall. Basically the spacing must be sufficient that the tires never rub together, even when going over a pothole or RR track (which makes the tire flex).  Rarely would the tread be wide enough to cause rubbing by itself, but the side wall bulges out further than the tread, and the bulge may increase as the tire flexes. The width and offset of the rim (wheel) is a factor in the "bulge" as well. Proper dual spacing is determined by the tire manufacturer based on the characteristics of the tire and the rim used. However, because of tire industry standards, there is little, if any difference in equivalent size and load range tires, so it is reasonable to use one manufacturers data on another tire of the same size and loading. Tire engineers show dual spacing as the distance between tire/wheel centers, not the actual space left between them.

Here is the Bridgestone table on dual tire spacing. It shows (for their tires) a minimum of 11.3" for a 255/70R22.5

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/misc_pdf/minDualSpacing.pdf

And this article from Continental explains tire terminology and measurements:
http://www.engage360training.com/commercial_division/images/pdf/01GeneralInformation.pdf

Goodyear suggests that 245/75R22.5 will be a satisfactory replacement for 235/80R22.5. On the standard-sized wheel used for those tire sizes, the dual spacing should remain adequate. However, they always say it is up to the tire owner to verify it.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/size-conversions.aspx

I have a feeling my dual spacing is slightly less than that, but I wouldn't know unless I could take the tire off. I went out and looked yesterday and it *looks* like I have 7.5 rims... and a little less than 3 inches between the current tires. So, I'm guessing my spacing in the back is 10-something. But, no way to tell without taking the tires off. All I can do is kinda eye it with a tape measure.

One solution, if you can just replace two tires, replace the oldest tires and put on the front, next year replace two more and than put the four replaced tires on the rear, and the third year replace the front. This takes care of the tandem  gap.
You can always replace the four rear this year and the front next year. ( if money is the driver) the best way is too just replace all six at the same time.
Someone mentioned that Michelin makes Bridgstone. Did not know that. Is that a fact?  And yes, Michelin is the only company that make that size tire. Bummer!
Lost a day in NC trying to get a replacement (bubble in tire) thank you TPMS for the alert. Michelin reimbursed me for the tire, but what happens when you are in the middle of nowhere and no tire? I thought I was going to have to buy two tires so they matched up.

All worked out.

The tire was less than 6 months on the coach, and it was manufactured the same year.

Jim

3" between the actual tire sidewalls (not the tread) at rest seems like a lot, so no worries. When it gets down to 2", maybe time to wonder about sidewall flexing and the possibility of a stone getting jammed between them. At 1", I would be really worried.  But that is all guesswork on my part.

is there any kind of conversion to the "Super-single" rear wheels ?

there must be a reason the trucking companies are going with them.

The spacing of duals is actually measured at the rim. The answers to your questions on spacing and different size tires would be better answered by rim manufacturers, or the truck tire shop that does local fleets.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom