Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dreamon

Hi we are new to RV'ing, bought a 2006 40' Winnebago Vectra and it is time for new tires.  Existing tires are Michelin.  Has anyone had experience with other tire brands, such as Kelly Springfield?

My coach came with Michelin 275/80R22.5 LRH.  I replaced them once with Continental HSLs in the same size for $200 less per tire than the Michellin XZA2s (which no dealer could find at the time). The Continentals have worked out very well, and are great riding and handling tires. I will be buying new Continentals this summer.

For our last tire change we stuck with Michelin (XZA3) but went to Load Range H (from G).  We also need to replace tires this summer  :-\, been thinking about Toyos.

Welcome aboard and welcome to the Winnebago family.  Take a look at the many modifications/improvements I've done over the last ten years to our '05 Horizon.

John Canfield said:
For our last tire change we stuck with Michelin (XZA3) but went to Load Range H (from G).  We also need to replace tires this summer  :-\, been thinking about Toyos.

Any particular reason to replacing tires with lower load index?

I have had nothing but trouble with Michelins.  Every one I have had has come apart (yes, I maintained pressure, etc) before they hit the replacement point.  Literally peeled the tread. 

I wouldn't be afraid of an off-brand.  Often they are manufactured by the big names, just don't have the advertising.

Like myself I typically avoid big name brand tires. Like I've got all kinds of odd tire brands. HiFly's, Black Lion, Voma, etc. No issues here.

Every tire mfr has its one off horror stories depending on who you talk to. It's quite obvious no one brand is perfect but I found from OTR use that Michelin was always the most reliable and the most consistent so they are the only one I would run 8+ yrs on.
Every one has to prove out what makes them feel comfortable so now in my mind the choice comes down to how long you plan on running the tires you choose.
If you are in the 5-6 year camp then I would say anyone's casings will do fine and go with the best deal you can find.
If you are going to do the inspections and run a TPMS and want to run your ties in the 8+ year range then I say get the best deal on a set of Michelins. Tires have to be taken care of just like anything else so the added stress of a failure is not worth it unless you put in the extra effort IMO. 

I would just stay away from the Chinese tires.  I've seen some very bad wear patterns with them that cause significant ride and handling problems.  I personally have switched all my vehicles over to Michelins, but some other good brands are Hankook, Toyo, Continental, Bridgestone, Yokohama, and GoodYear.  I'm sure there are other good brands, but those made in China, beware.

The big "first tier" international tire companies have more consistent quality standards. Their reputation is an important asset and they try to protect it. These days their tire plant may actually be in China, but they still put their own supervisors and engineering/quality people onsite in the plant, to make sure standards are met.

I went with Bridgestone this time and having just finished our first 6 month trip with them am very happy. The price was $1800.00 less than FMCA's Michelin program tires. (8 tires) I topped off the pressure one time in the 6 months, 3 tires were 4 pounds off, which could have been left as is, still within the safety margin. The ride is perfect and with only 4,000 miles no noticable wear pattern.

ken

Back
Top Bottom