Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

Do you negotiate when buying four new tires?
Or do you just accept the price the tire dealer gives you?

jack L

I negotiate the cost of Levis at JC Penny...heck yes the price is negotiable. When I purchased tires recently at Discount for my Jeep, I was able to get close to 15% off the sticker price.

And always ask for Veterans/senior discount on anything you buy if eligible. You would be surprised at some of the discounts you can get just by asking. Most of the discounts are not offered up front, but will be honored if you ask.

Some places will negotiate; others will not.  Walmart is a "No", but Fred's Tire Service might be willing.  Big truck tires (I'm talking 22.5" and up) are more likely to be negotiable than smaller ones.

It never hurts to ask - worse they can do is so NO.

kdbgoat said:
And always ask for Veterans/senior discount on anything you buy if eligible. You would be surprised at some of the discounts you can get just by asking. Most of the discounts are not offered up front, but will be honored if you ask.

I'll second all of that.

FE

Discount Tires will work with you. Plus you get free balancing and rotation and their stores are practically everywhere.

???

$400 for four ST225/75 R15 LR:E's for the trailer. (Tranporter ST)

$600 for four 235/85 R16 LR:E's for the truck. (Black Lion)

Just don't specify a name brand.

Previous set on the trailer where Tow Max and lasted 5 years. Never had a blowout or a flat. They where only $360 for a set of 4.

Bought new ST225-75R14's recently and the price was pretty high. I was told no as to negotiating... until I told them I'd go elsewhere and order them. They knocked off 18% when I showed them what I'd printed off the other dealer's website, and I didn't have to wait for them to arrive.

I research tires on TireRack.com.  Then I compare delivered prices with DiscountTireDirect.com and TreadDepot.com.  Costco is about the only competitive local tire operation, but they're 75 miles away.

It cost me $50 to have 4 tires mounted and balanced.  I will always beat any local tire store substantially by buying online.

So I never negotiate.  I'm buying the tires at the lowest possible price, and I'm calling the shots on brands.  And I'll never run any Chinese brand of tire on my fifth wheel trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom