"title in Hand" Canadian seeking more info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano1292

Started browsing this forum a few weeks ago as we are making plans into buying a used TT in Florida.
We see adds stating Title in Hand" and some adds not stating anything concerning the Title... anyone explain this term or lack of same.
Assume this refers to ownership of TT.
How long does transfer of title normally take in Florida ?
What is required for a transfer of title ? by buyer and seller ?

Enjoy this valuable forum ... with a trailer load of information
Expect to be posting again.
TIA

When we bought our coach in Florida a few years ago, we had the seller sign off the ownership and imported it into Canada without registering or having the title changed here in the US.  As the previous poster said, "Title in Hand" means that the unit is owned free and clear as all finance sources take the title until the loan is retired.  I'm sure you know it, but for our US members, that system is different in Canada where the finance source registers a lien on the unit, and it is the buyer's responsibility to check with the Provincial Registry to make sure it is paid, or who has the lien so that you can contact them to find out how much is owing against the RV.  In Canada there is not too much upside down financing on vehicles or RV's.

Ed

Every so often on here you'll see a post about someone who is buying a rig that the previous owner still has a loan on, or worse yet owes more on than the rig is worth. The registered owner is the fellow with the rig and the legal owner is the bank with the title. It's a delicate negotiation sometimes of who to pay and when to pay and who trusts who.

With "title in hand" it's a simple matter of the registered and legal owner, being the same person(s) signing the title and handing it to you.

Ken

Are you going to pull the trailer back to Canada or leave it in the RV resort or park where it is located?  Dick nvrver

The transfer will take place immediately at the county licence bureau but it will take several weeks to get a revised official Certificate of Title document from Tallahassee and it will be mailed to you. You can have it registered using  your Canadian address if you wish. Be sure your Canadian Postal code is correct as the Florida system was not very good at recording that several years ago (Mine is shown as 000000) although I did receive it OK back home)

Be sure you maintain a current plate sticker or this could be problematic. They renew on your birthday and can be purchase up to 3 (verify this!!) months in advance. Choose the birthday wisely (yours or your other half to make it easier). I usually renew mine before I leave for home at the beginning of April as the timing works out well for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom