To Cover or Not to Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dawnbmoore

We're picking up our new Nash 24M this Friday & are curious about whether or not we should buy a cover for the trailer, considering it has decals & will be sitting in the driveway near a big maple tree.  Also, I've heard that tire covers should be breathable?  Do you agree & if so, which brand would you recommend?  Thanks in advance for your input.

There have been a few discussions about covers here. Essentially, they will protect an RV from many of the elements, but some have reported that covers can trap dust and dirt underneath them, which then acts like an abrasive and rubs into the RV's finish when the wind blows. And, of course, they're a joy to put on and take off. The size of the RV obviously has a lot to do with the ease of taking them on and off.

I think the best of covers will last about two years with normal wear and tear. My personal feeling is that they work, but someone has to pay regular attention to their condition. I don't think they're something that you just put on and forget.

Kev

A good coat of wax applied once or twice a year will protect without abrasive damage and make removing tree sap and sticky debris easier.

We owned covers for our first 2 TT's.  They looked like new every Spring, learned to keep them tight so the wind did not damage the covers or the units.  We have had our 5th Wheel since Fall of 2010.  Unfortunately, it's just to darn big to deal with a cover (that and I'm getting older...) so now it's just wheel covers.  Maybe I could have just paid a couple of people twice per year to deal with it, however now just try and apply UV protection with treatment and wax....  Hands down, the other units looked better being they were covered all Winter, just not practical anymore. :-[

Jim & I decided to purchase a cover.  With the maple tree nearby dropping leaves, etc. it seems like a way to avoid some roof cleaning.  Thanks for your input, everyone!

dawnbmoore said:
Jim & I decided to purchase a cover.  With the maple tree nearby dropping leaves, etc. it seems like a way to avoid some roof cleaning.  Thanks for your input, everyone!
I think you have made a great choice.  We have a bunch of bradford pear trees, not only do the berry's drop and make an absolute mess, the birds eat the berry's and poop purple all over.  Since cutting down the trees next to the parking spot, it's much much better, however, still nothing like when we had the units covered, nothing like taking the cover off in Spring and seeing the same exact picture as Fall!!!

Never used a cover for the first 3 fifth wheels that we had. First 2 we only had for a couple years each. #3 we had for 10 years. It also was the only one with gel coat fiberglass. It sat outside it's whole life and after 4-5 years it started to show. Every spring it was harder and harder to clean and get that shine again. So now with fifth wheel #4 I purchased a cover last fall. Will find out what's what here in a few weeks when it comes off. And I have to agree, not the easiest job putting it on, looks like a real pain to take off. But this past winter was unusually harsh, temps deep below 0, about 3 feet of snow on top, and some pretty stout winds. So far the cover looks just like the day I put it on. No rips, tears, etc.

Back
Top Bottom