To wax or not to wax, that is the question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gail irene

I've read posts about waxing a motorhome but I even have a more general question that we could use advice on.  We are getting our motorhome washed well since it is going to be covered up for the winter during which we get a lot of rain but little snow.  Our motorhome is only washed once a season. Wondering if it needs to be waxed?  Our decals are cracking, no rust on it and it's a 2011.  Can you tell us what the advantages to waxing it? 

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Waxing an RV can make it look nice, it can provide a slight barrier to damaging UV rays and it can help water bead and run off instead of water-spotting, but those are all very temporary benefits.

Kev

When I was full timing (A short month ago) I'd wash and wax spring and fall just before my 800 mile hike from south to north or the other way around.. Believe it or not adds to MPG and on an 800 mile trip can make a significant difference.

Same is true on cars by the way.  Good quality wax job can add to MPG.

But if it's parked for the winter.... 

Ditto to above. Before we went full time I would wash our TT every month,  cleaned the roof during the season and in the spring,  also waxed 2 times a year. Now that we full time I use Aero Cosmetics wax products every month as most places don't allow washing. 

In the short term, it's mostly cosmetics, keeping the finish clean & bright.  The wax (nearly all of them are synthetics these days) helps shed water and dirt, making it easier to wash in between wax jobs.  In the long run, yearly waxing eliminates the hazy oxidation that builds up on the finish over time.  Removing several years worth of oxidation and grime is an arduous job and expensive if you end up paying a pro to do it.

Our RVs always got washed 3-4 times a year, often with partial touch-ups in between. I'd use a detailer spray or a vinegar & water solution to wipe the area below the beltline clean whenever road dirt became too noticeable.

I wash and wax our once during the spring and once in autumn. I look as shinny as new after three years.

I just removed that crappy looking 3M film off the front of my Class A.  Wasn?t a fun job, was turning yellow and spotting.  Took me two days but it is off and front is washed and waxed with a power buffer.  Looks new again.

Do you wash and wax your other vehicles?  Why in h?)) wouldnt you wash and wax your RV?

Waxed our Journey (recently sold) once a year with Meguiar?s Gold Class carnauba wax. Still looked brand new after 10 years and our coach always sat outside. Going to try using Rejex on the new Tiffin since it is recommended. That one will be stored indoors since we plan on it being our last coach.

I've used Turtle Wax Ice on all of our vehicles.  Unfortunately iwt's getting hard to find.  Especially the liquid.  The spray is just OK and doesn't last as long.

Looking for a similar product that's easier to find.

Try McGuires Advanced.  Super easy on/off does not leave white residue if you get it on black rubber parts.  Leaves a great shine and lasts a long time.

donn said:
Try McGuires Advanced.  Super easy on/off does not leave white residue if you get it on black rubber parts.  Leaves a great shine and lasts a long time.

That's funny!  I stumbled upon Meguiars Ultimate and decided to give it a try when I run out of Ice.

Just thought I'd revive this thread. This is our new 2003 Jayco after 3 coats of wax. First two coats were a 3m cut to remove the oxidation. The final wax was Meguiars. Quite the job for one person and took 3 days to complete. Just have to figure out a way to reach the portion above the cab. Incidentally, both waxes were marine/rv specific.

Attachments

• 20210317_153024.jpg
    20210317_153024.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210317_153128.jpg
    20210317_153128.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210317_153142.jpg
    20210317_153142.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210317_153005.jpg
    20210317_153005.jpg