TOAD/GolfCart option

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DickHutchings

This idea popped into my head yesterday as I was thinking about towing a vehicle and a golf cart. I was thinking a 4 wheel drive Ford Ranger with the golf cart in the bed. Does anyone here do this?

Someone recently posted a picture of a gas class A coach towing a F150 with an ATV in the bed. Looked like a accident waiting to happen. ;)

Seriously, though, I have also seen people on the road towing a pickup with a golf cart in the bed, but with diesel pushers. It made sense since the towing capacity is greater.

If the truck bed is big enough for the GC you have in mind... Do some measurements and see.

People do this, but I think you are going to need an 8 ft, full width truck bed.

I think your right about needing a full size truck. That is something I'm not interested in.

Golf carts are only usable inside the campgrounds since they are illegal to drive on the highway. If you live in an RV park full time they come in handy otherwise they are not so useful unless you are planning on doing a lot of golfing.

I expect to have a couple of home base campgrounds. One in RI and one near Disney. I will still do some traveling while I'm in them but will probably leave the cart behind when I travel. I enjoy riding a cart in the campground plus my wife is limited to the amount of walking she can do.

SeilerBird said:
Golf carts are only usable inside the campgrounds since they are illegal to drive on the highway. If you live in an RV park full time they come in handy otherwise they are not so useful unless you are planning on doing a lot of golfing.

I have seen some custom golf cart manufacturers that have street legal products. I assume that they cannot be used on roads with higher speed limits, but a trip down the road to a grocery, etc. may be possible.

Moebius said:
I have seen some custom golf cart manufacturers that have street legal products. I assume that they cannot be used on roads with higher speed limits, but a trip down the road to a grocery, etc. may be possible.
Yes they are available and very pricey. The average golf cart can't be used on the highway and I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to use one on a public street. Too dangerous.

DickHutchings said:
I expect to have a couple of home base campgrounds. One in RI and one near Disney. I will still do some traveling while I'm in them but will probably leave the cart behind when I travel. I enjoy riding a cart in the campground plus my wife is limited to the amount of walking she can do.
Well then in that case a golf cart would be very useful to you. Have you thought about buying two and leaving one in FL and one in RI?

SeilerBird said:
Well then in that case a golf cart would be very useful to you. Have you thought about buying two and leaving one in FL and one in RI?

I've thought about it but after doing a little searching, the prices are a little high for owning two. This may be my final solution. I will just have to search for better prices used.

I have a Club Car gas model that I used to pull on a small trailer behind my MH. Most parks will let you use them but require you to have insurance on them. I just put it on my home owners policy, didn't cost much. However there are some parks that won't let you use them. One park I used to visit wouldn't let me use mine even with insurance, because they had rental units. I quit going there and told them why. I have problems with my heart and feet and can't walk very far or for very long. They didn't even really want to let me use my 3 wheel scooter, so they don't need my money. I used a 5ftx8ft tilt trailer and could unload and unhook the trailer in just a few minutes.

I've been thinking about getting a Cricket SX3.  They are small enough to fit in the back of my Honda CRV.

I tow a GMC Acadia, and have the 4 person Cricket,  Because I have enough length, I do not have to remove the floor board panel.  I just take the seat back, lay it down on the seat and remove the steering wheel.  I back the Cricket into the car using its own power,and bring it out the same way.  I can just barely reach the accelerator when I get it loaded.  I am nearly 79 and load and unload it by myself.  That might solve your problem.  My friend has a Cadillac P/U and he puts his reg. golf cart in the back but he has less than 1 " clearance on each side.  He leaves the tail gate down and straps it in.  Hope this helps with your decision.

Some communities are Golf Cart friendly, Peach Tree City Georgia for one.  My folks lived there for several years, thou that was more than a decade ago. Golf carts were allowed on residential streets and the numerous walking\biking trails.  It was common to see several carts parked in the grocery store parking lot.

Many AZ communities allow registered golf carts on streets with speed limits of 35mph or less. Sun City and Surprise are full of streets with golf cart/bicycle lanes.

We have a 96 chev 1500 ext cab, short bed, which we set up to haul our ezgo golf cart. After setting it up, we took it on a trial run to a close rally and it worked fine. We did it, planning for a long trip, extended rally, which had a change of plans. We did load it in our short bed, but can not remember if the tail gate closed or not. I am thinking it did. If it becomes important, I will measure or load it again for you.

A classic short bed (now called "standard bed") is only 6.5 ft long with the tailgate closed. Few golf carts will fit in that, but there may be some. These days, a "short' bed is only 5.5 ft. "Long" is 8 ft.

We measured our golf cart. The wheels  are fully supported by the 6.5' bed, but the overall is about 8', so tail gate had to be down.

I think the Ranger used a narrower bed than a full-size pick-up, plus the short bed is 6 ft instead of 6'6". The long bed for a Ranger was 7 ft instead of 8.

This chart shows truck bed sizes, presumably accurate since they sell stuff for them:
http://www.truckaddons.com/tonneau-bed-measurements-guide.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom