Toad product, Ready Brute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuervo1

I am looking to start towing a car behind my class c. Does anyone have any experience with the Ready Brute Tow bar system.
It looks good on the internet,and seems less expensive than the other systems.
I am considering a blue ox base plate on my wife's 2009 Chevy Malibu.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i towed a 2007 saturn outlook for four years and currently towing 2011 hhr.would  not use any other brand. i have been very happy with it

NY_Dutch said:
We've been towing with a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and a Blue Ox base plate since 2009 with no problems.

Ours has served us since 2011 and we're totally pleased.

Thanks for the advice,I'm pretty much sold on the Ready Brute with a Blue ox  base plate.
Does the new Ready Brute elite II look like an improvement? Or not?
Also, being new to flat towing; How do you deal with not being able to back up?I
Now I'm looking for someone to install it and not get ripped off.

Also, being new to flat towing; How do you deal with not being able to back up?
You take extra care in where you go, learning to evaluate gas stations (for example) before committing yourself to pulling in. On rare occasions I've had to unhook the toad to get out/turned around, but thankfully that's not even every trip.

Larry N. said:
You take extra care in where you go, learning to evaluate gas stations (for example) before committing yourself to pulling in. On rare occasions I've had to unhook the toad to get out/turned around, but thankfully that's not even every trip.

I use the Android Trucker Path app to find and evaluate fueling stations along with Google Maps street level views.  While on the road I am cautious about turning off into places such as "picnic areas" unless I am sure I can get in and out. 

We traveled ~6,500 miles this summer and got caught in a bind that required unhooking the toad just once and that was because a fuel stop that we were familiar with was in the middle of a massive remodeling project and we hadn't known about it.  Fortunately, I can unhook the toad in <5 minutes and re-connecting it takes <10 minutes, so it isn't all that big a problem if and when it is necessary.

Joel (AKA docj)

Thanks for all your input. Seems the Ready Brute is the way to go.
What about the tail light, brake light wiring connections? What is the best way? Diode or bulb kit?
I have a mechanic friend who will help with the base plate install, but has never done it before.
After looking at the instructions , he thinks it's do able. But not sure about the wiring.

Your 2009 Malibu has plenty of room to install the diodes (lookup the e-trailer youtube video on install).  Once they are installed, hooking up is a simple plug in and no holes in the car body or magnet lights potentially damaging the paint.  We've used diodes on three separate tow vehicles.  Have never heard of diode failure either.

Just to add to the Ready Brute accolades.  No issues with ours in nearly a decade of use.  Just remember to lube the fittings! ;D

NY_Dutch said:
We've been towing with a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and a Blue Ox base plate since 2009 with no problems.

We currently have a BlueOx baseplate with their portable Patriot Brake. Initially thought that perhaps the portability aspect would be useful but that's proving not to be the case. Would it be possible to keep our current baseplate and switch to the Ready Brake system for braking?

If you order direct from the factory they include clevis connectors to match up with Blue Ox, Roadmaster or Demco base plates.  They note some online sellers don't include the baseplate clevis connectors.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

Don't forget to get the breakaway kit with the Ready Brake.  It's a second cable that goes through a one way clamp that lets the breakaway cable apply the brakes but not release them until you manually release the clamp.

Thanks,glad to hear that the diode kit is reliable.
The vehicle specific plug in kit from Hopkins or Curt looks easier to install than the Blue ox kit, requiring cutting wires.
Has anyone had any experience with any of them?

Lou Schneider said:
If you order direct from the factory they include clevis connectors to match up with Blue Ox, Roadmaster or Demco base plates.  They note some online sellers don't include the baseplate clevis connectors.

https://www.readybrake.com/store/p4/ReadyBrute%E2%84%A2_Elite_RV_Tow_Bar.html

Don't forget to get the breakaway kit with the Ready Brake.  It's a second cable that goes through a one way clamp that lets the breakaway cable apply the brakes but not release them until you manually release the clamp.

Thanks for the input. I see that NY_Dutch had replied to basically my same question previously. One factor would seem to be that they don't show any dealer/installers anywhere my location. Decision time I guess...

Back
Top Bottom