today the power is out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yarnkitty

This morning while running two electric heaters and the electric kettle, my main breaker flipped.  So all AC power is off.  I got the main breaker reset finally after much hurried research and complaints from my husband, but I still don't have power.  What else do I need to check?

You have two main breakers. One is located in you breaker box in the RV, the other is on the pole where you plug in. Make sure both are turned on. Turn them off and then turn them back on. If they are tripped they will look like they are on but they are not really on.

I can't find a breaker at the pole.  There is a 50 amp plug in and then a box above it with what my husband says is the fuse you pull to turn all the electricity off.

yarnkitty said:
I can't find a breaker at the pole.  There is a 50 amp plug in and then a box above it with what my husband says is the fuse you pull to turn all the electricity off.
There should not be a fuse, it should be a breaker. If it is a fuse then check it to see that it still works.

The thing on the box outside was popped and my husband put it back in.  I also pulled it and put it back in.  I talked to the landlord and he directed me to the main pole for our lot (there are 3 rv sites here).  There was one circuit popped out there and I reset it.  He's on his way out to check on his stuff and see if he can figure it out.  It's got to be the one week we have a cold snap here!  It's still below freezing outside.  Brrr!

There is one other thing to check. If you have an inverter, some of the 120 lines may go through it (the ones it supplies) and there is a circuit breaker - or two - on it.

Turns out I have blown the main breaker and it needs to be replaced.  Can you buy those at a place like Home Depot or do you have to go to an RV supply?

yarnkitty said:
Turns out I have blown the main breaker and it needs to be replaced.  Can you buy those at a place like Home Depot or do you have to go to an RV supply?

You should be able to get one at any well stocked store like Home Depot.  Take the old one with you to be sure you get the right one.  Not all load centers use the same type of breaker.

Good news!  I took out the circuit breaker and went to Home Depot.  They did not have the part I needed, but a handy Master Electrician messed with my circuit breaker and got it reset.  He advised me to put it back in and give it a try.  Sure enough it worked!  I just didn't put enough english on it I guess.  We now have power restored.  As an added plus, Home Depot was serving coffee and donuts at the door, so we got breakfast as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom