Too Cold For A Slideout?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkhattabaugh

It's awfully cold here this morning, and I wondered if manufacturers have a recommended "minimum" temperature for operating a slideout.  The rubber seals and associated parts probably have a functional limit for cold weather - but what would that be?

I really never thought much about it. The seals are very simple - a "D" rubber molding around the inside and outside edges that compress against the RV sidewalls, plus a simple "flapper" on the sides and top to wipe away water and debris as the slide comes in. Obviously they are less flexible when cold, but not really any different than the similar D seals on car doors and such and they work well below zero.

I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

tkhattabaugh said:
It's awfully cold here this morning, and I wondered if manufacturers have a recommended "minimum" temperature for operating a slideout.  The rubber seals and associated parts probably have a functional limit for cold weather - but what would that be?

Yep I imagine ya right...remember Gregory Jarvis, Judith Resnik
Michael J. Smith, Dick Scobee, Ronald McNair, Ellison Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe,
I worked on an x-ray inspection system for SRBs and the LD should have
been hung....he knew the rubber o-rings would not be right in cold weather
and Thiokol engineers even had warnings in writing about the cold and
possible o-ring breach!

Off my soap box now...

I suspect if it is below freezing the rubber will tear and never be the same again if'
there are shear forces on the rubber..if they just passively seal that probably ok...
but check the type of rubber and it's temperature coefficients of elasticity.

Rich

Rich

No problems here in mildly freezing weather.

Footnote: Where's "here"?
Another footnote re communicating: What are the abbreviations: SRB, LD, etc?

Pierat said:

Sorry- Challenger Shuttle  STS-51 mission....Solid Rocket Booster = SRB, LD = launch
director.

R

PS_

Not my "here"....what's more  impt is "mildly freezing weather" lol...it's either freezing or not, eh? 32.00F  8)
above or below...maybe it is the duration below 32 F that makes it mildly freezing???

I had to close mine in 0 degree f weather and didn't see any problems had to get the ice and snow off of the topper but then it seemed ok.

Pierat said:

I'm in southern Indiana.  It was 1 degree this morning and I thought about my trailer for some reason.  Just curious about those rubber seals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom