Tornado Weather Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colleenfl

Being a native of FL I kind of have real concerns about all the tornado activity in TX/NM etc lately. We leave middle of next month to head out west, I am more comfortable with Hurricanes and have no real experiences with tornados acutally they frighten me and probably more so with my 21 year old dauther who will be traveling with us and my 15 year old son.

I plan on taking our weahter alert radio with us but, what do you actually do if there is a tornado headed your way/or in the path? What if you are on a highway with no over passes etc or everyone is already have them full what next or no where to go exits etc? I know they say don't park under overpasses but sorry I feel better doing that then being exposed with nothing over the top of me and the thought of getting out and lying in a ditch scares me. What to do? Is it just a chance you take?

I know this is silly but I just have to ask and I probably already know the answer. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated to put me at ease and to know that I am doing everything that one can do to be safe. I am sure we will not experience a tornado but I do have a little bit of doubt.

When we take vacations we always have some kind of stories to come back with that make it so exciting that everyone wants to here all about it. Example I was on a cruise ship with my girlfriend during Hurricane Andrew ship was out running him, Las Vegas had not had an earthquake in like 10 years we were there and they had a 6.1 on the scales but on the other side of Mts so just the MGM swayed, Husband has been in a big hotel fire, We got snowed in this past winter in the ski resorts in colorado (which was great for us), there are other stories but this is enough. Anyway we deal with situations really well and don't let it get to us we always turn it around into something good or should I say positive. I dont think it is bad luck just that we were in the right place at the right time LOL. You have to have a good sense of humor. Oh that reminds me we have a lot of common sense and always think about safety issues before hand and are very prepared ahead of time. You should see my book(s) (3 ring binders) for this trip that we have been planning for a year so after this trip at the end of June I will post our journal in here then I will be an expert like you all.

Thanks sorry this got so wordy I was on a roll.

I did find some topics on tornados after searching many pages that were helpful. But if anyone else can add anything or additional advice that would be great. I did not think about to bring my little yorkies cages with me and now I am. The 2 of them go in one soft airline approved carrier and my daughters maltese will have her own carrier. Glad i have 3 1/2 lb/5 l/ 6 lb doggies. I also like the suggestion on knowing the counties and highlighting them ahead of time to know our plans ahead of time if we get into bad weather. I am going to start anther 3 ring binder for severe weather. LOL

Thank you

Florida is one of the states with the highest number of tornados. Texas is first, followed by Oklahoma. Kansas and Florida are tied for third place.

That may be so about FL and tornados but most of tornados in FL don't touch down or they are no big and scary. I wonder if that report includes water spouts, I would not be surprised if it did and then that would explain the statics. We have maybe one or two a year that are severe and do damage and lives are injured or taken. I am a native Floridan. It is not uncommon with hurricanes to have tornadow spawned but even so not much damage from them it is the hurricanes. I still think FL should have sirens I think there may be some in some small cities in the north part of the state that are non working. Sirens could come in use for many reasons.

Thanks for the info.

Colleen

The best thing you can do is done now,  GET PREPARED, Get trained,  And here is an easy way to do that.

First find a group or origination that sponsors SKYWARN classes  Two ways to do this

One, visit the NOAA web site  http://www.noaa.gov and you may be able to find SKYWARN classes in your area

Or;  visit http://www.arrl.org The American Radio Relay League INC web page  ARRL affilated clubs across the nation sponsor SKYWARN classes, and other classes as well.  We ham radio operators,  Well, we support the ARRL don't you know.

Contact a club, or clubs near you (There is a find a club feature) and see about skywarn classes..

These classes tell you a lot about weather, including how to spot it, how to report it and what to do when you get caught in it.

Some highlights of the class

1: Keep alert (Keep that all alerts radio in good working order)

2: Know your area.  When you park the rig do a safety survey, this includes finding out where the tornado shelter is, if any.

3: Ditches... bad place to be, stay out of them (Also washes and gullies)

The best place to take shelter is outside the storm area, however since that is not always an option, know where shelter is.

Finally... FEMA has some information  Here is that URL http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/  http://www.fema.gov/plan-prepare-mitigate

That last one covers a lot more than tornados.

For example, IT answers the question where is the best place to be in the event of a haz-mat chemical spill

(Answer UP hill and UP wind of course)  (Or, as I would normally answer a "Where is the best place to be with "Stuff" happens type question:  ELSEWHERE! (A shelter outside the affected area))

By the way, FEMA also offers a test and certification (I have it) and that is one of the answers (A shelter.....)

Thanks for all the info.
I made an emergency severe weather plan booklet. I have listed all the counties we will be going through in each state along with some cities. This way when severe weather is announced on the radios I will know where we are to the location of the severe weather/tornados. Texas was good because I have a list of all the rest areas as well along I-10. I have a small kit prepared and packing my soft sided dog carriers. The list goes on but I am more confident that we are prepared if weather should turn bad. Not much elese I can do. Looks like the weather is calming down a bit in the mid west and texas. We leave in just a little over 2 weeks now for our 6000 mile trip. Can't wait.

The I10 area seldom sees tornados, they are usually more North toward the pan handle - key word usually - but mother nature will spawn a tornado where ever she feels like it. Be prepared, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. If the weather starts looking threatening, start watching what the truckers and local folks do - if they start heading for cover, it's a good indication something is happening and you should follow their example. Other than that, just relax and enjoy your trip.

Larry

I don't know about that Larry,  Florida, is #4 on the list of states where tornados strike, Kind of south.

The best things people can do is 2 fold

1: Purchase a Weather/All Hazards ALRET radio, the kind that makes lots of noise when it receives an alert. and keep it "operating" (powered, even if that means buying batteries)

2: Know your options.  When you arrive at a campground know where shelters are,  When you are driving know where exits and stuff like that is.

3: Take the FEMA online course "Are You Prepared" (I tink it is either 200 or 220 on their list of courses)

4: Take a weather spotter course

Radio Shack sells a CB radio that has a weather alert feature, along with weather scan.  As long as you have a red light, you have weather alert.  You may be able to stop before you ever get to the area of danger. 

I have a truckers atlas, and I highlight all the counties that we will be traveling through.  If the weather radio goes off, then I know if I'm ahead or behind of the storm.  My wife has multiple sclerosis, so "fast" movement is not practical. 

Good Luck on your travels,

Thanks for the info I like the idea of the portable CB radio from Radio Shack.
FL may be on the list as #4 but we rarely have any touch down. Maybe 1 or 2  a year. We have a whole lot of waterspouts I am sure that is what is counted in for why we are #4. I am a native Floridian and can only remeber maybe 3 in my life that did a whole heck of damage with some deaths and that was in central FL this past Feb, one about a year or two ago in the Clermont area and we had one in Clearwater several years ago.

I am relaxed about the trip and tornados now I am as ready as one can be.

Thanks again
Colleen

colleenfl said:
Thanks for the info I like the idea of the portable CB radio from Radio Shack.
FL may be on the list as #4 but we rarely have any touch down. Maybe 1 or 2  a year. We have a whole lot of waterspouts I am sure that is what is counted in for why we are #4. I am a native Floridian and can only remeber maybe 3 in my life that did a whole heck of damage with some deaths and that was in central FL this past Feb, one about a year or two ago in the Clermont area and we had one in Clearwater several years ago.

I am relaxed about the trip and tornados now I am as ready as one can be.

Thanks again
Colleen

My sis and brother in law live just south of Clermont......that Tornado took some shingles off of their house.  Stay safe....

colleenfl said:
FL may be on the list as #4 but we rarely have any touch down. Maybe 1 or 2  a year.

You know... That is why the death toll from Tornados in Florida is over two dozen this year.

Most states, now that we have Skywarn, and good alert systems, do not suffer that many in a season.  Fl manged to do it in just one storm.  I blame the politicians but that's another factor.

A few years ago, the folks at the Trailer Life Campground Directory added the counties so you'll know where you are if there's a weather alert.  This eliminates the need to make a list of every county you'll be going through.  The county is listed next to the town name.  In addition, it's good to look at a state map and note the surrounding counties.  When you're listening to your weather alert radio you'll have a better idea of which direction the tornado is heading.  When we're in a dicey area we keep the radio in the cockpit while driving and have hopscotched across several states as the weather shifted.  Heck, there are a couple of places I'd like to see but we usually end up going around them because of tornadoes.  :(

ArdraF

Well, everyone did a pretty good job of summing it all up.  The reality is, your chance of actually getting hit by a tornado are pretty slim, especially driving down the interstates.  More especially I-10.  I've lived in Texas most of my life, and have actually only seen 2 tornadoes.  I've had some near misses both here in Texas and up around the Omaha, NE area.  You are more likely to get damage from straight-line winds and hail than an actual tornado.  Anyway, do your preparation, especially once you get to a destination, and you should be fine.  There's really not a lot you can do if you're driving down the road, unless you can find some shelter somewhere.  And under an overpass is not a shelter.  It is a false sense of security and will likely do more harm than staying in your vehicle. 

Anyway, just be as prepared as you can be, and relax and enjoy your vacation.

edjunior said:
And under an overpass is not a shelter.  It is a false sense of security and will likely do more harm than staying in your vehicle. 

Anyway, just be as prepared as you can be, and relax and enjoy your vacation.

I glad you said that.  An overpass will suck you out in a direct hit like.....eggs thru a chicken. 

As far as knowing what county you are in, I have a trucks atlas, and highlite all the counties.  Makes it easy to find. 

Something else that I think should be brought up, you get more then tornado warnings/watches with weather alert radios.  Dense Fog, flood watch, high wind warnings...ect. 

I have only avoided travel twice.  Once for dense fog near Nashville, Tennessee, and once for a thunderstorm warning that was ahead of us on the way to Branson, MO.  Just sat in the rest area, had a cold glass of tea, ate lunch, then drove on. 

Regards,

I must admit, so far the only bad weather prohibiting travel I've encountered was about 2 hours in my rear view monitor (Behind me, I ran ahead of the storm)  The only other severe weather was a tail wind, Dead on tail wind (The most stable aspect wind wise is head on and rear on)  I was starting to think the 15mpg motor home existed that day :)  (I hit 13, was pushing 14)

you get more then tornado warnings/watches with weather alert radios.  Dense Fog, flood watch, high wind warnings...ect. 

And, Amber Alerts.  We just heard our first one recently.

ArdraF

You can select the types of warnings you wish to be alerted for.  Example, when I'm at home FLOOD warnings don't much bother me.. Now if you see someone building a boat and measuering by the cubit... Then I might get concerned but considering the fact that the street is lower than my basement floor.. Not too worried about flooding here.

But some of the other alerts (Tornado for example) DO bother me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaySmith
Back
Top Bottom