Total luddite looking for suggestions for smart phone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So garyb1st what did you buy and what are your recommendations?
I did upgrade. I went from a rugged Convoy 3G flip phone to a free Verizon piece of crap 4G e-Talk phone. If I could find another Convoy I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Only reason I have it is because Verizon sent it to me.

The real issues I have with smart phones is how they're used and I would hate to become one of the many, in your face no matter where you are or what you're doing smart phone users. I see people looking at their smart phones whether they're walking, riding a bicycle or driving on the freeway. It's insane. Reminds me of all the people who walk around Costco eating all the free food samples. It reminds of cattle grazing.

And it's not like I can't afford to buy one. We have two iMac 27 inch computers, two iPads, the wife has an expensive Samsung Android phone and I have my almost worthless Verizon e-talk, piece of crap flip phone.

Money wise, we pay almost $300 a month for our Verizon and Spectrum service. On top of that we have more subscriptions than I can count. To name a few, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Ring, In-Reach, Sirius and others the wife handles that I don't want to know about. I'm sure in total, we're getting close to $5,000 a year. I'm old enough to remember telephone party lines. Then when I was first married, 55 years ago, a phone line cost about $25.00 a month. So am I going to buy a new phone? Yes.

My hearing is so bad, usually I don't even hear the e-Talk p.o.s. ring. More often than not, the wife lets me know the p.o.s. is ringing. Then when I answer, more likely than not, it's spam. I can hardly wait until we start getting election calls.

But back to the smart phone. I've been a Mac user for probably 15 years so was thinking an Apple made sense. However the wife has a Samsung so that's probably what I'll buy. I can't imagine having a phone that I can't use. Don't know what the learning curve is on the new phones, but for the past few years my curve has been flattening out.

If you're looking for a bulletproof phone that can take a beating look at Kyocera Duraforce series. They are android phones carried by Verizon, but you might be able to get them unlocked if you "know a guy". They're not pretty, but they're mil-spec. I've dropped mine 6-feet from my deck to the walkway and it bounced several times into a rocky planter - not a scratch. It fell out of my pocket while I was launching my boat and sat in 6-feet of water for 15 minutes until I could get launched, get my truck parked and get back to the boat where I used a push-pole to work it back up the ramp into shallower water where I could reach it (it was winter, I was duck hunting, and the water temp was about 40 degrees).

However the wife has a Samsung so that's probably what I'll buy. I can't imagine having a phone that I can't use. Don't know what the learning curve is on the new phones, but for the past few years my curve has been flattening out.
The first time my dad saw a cell phone was when I was visiting with my company phone. He was a pilot and we were at the hangar putzing around.

D= Dad. M=Me

D - Let's run up to the restaurant and call Bev (on the payphone) to tell her we will be home for a late lunch.
M - Here. I'll call her on the cell
(ring ring)
M - Here. You can talk to Bev.
D - Hello Bev, over...
D - Yes we will be home in about 40 minutes. over...

I thought it was hilarious at the time.

Don't worry - learning curve to make calls is pretty shallow - LOL...

The real issues I have with smart phones is how they're used and I would hate to become one of the many, in your face no matter where you are or what you're doing smart phone users. I see people looking at their smart phones whether they're walking, riding a bicycle or driving on the freeway. It's insane.
I agree, but I still have a "smart" phone and it's handy on occasion for certain apps*, as well as for phone use, but mostly it sits on a table unused when at home, and in my short pocket mostly ignored if I'm away from the house. Initially it was a substitute for pay phones.

But it still spends 98% plus of its time on the table or in a shirt pocket.

* Hearing aid volume control, a nice compass, infrequent camera use, and bike ride monitor, mostly.

Verizon's prepaid Visible service is definitely worth taking a look at. Unlimited talk, text, and data, including hotspot use, for $25/mo is pretty hard to beat.

Verizon changes their plans frequently, so if anyone likes that $25/mo. pre-paid plan they should act quickly.
Multasking is not for all cell-phone users:

Verizon changes their plans frequently, so if anyone likes that $25/mo. pre-paid plan they should act quickly.

Visible is a separate operating division with it's own CEO based in Denver, CO, and has been around since 2018. They recently changed their original plan slightly, but still retained the $25/mo rate, just adding a $35/mo plan with a few extra features. It operates more as an MVNO than a direct Verizon plan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Visible brought under the Tracfone Wireless umbrella eventually, but I expect it will take a few more years for Verizon to fully integrate Tracfone into their overall operations.

Visible is a separate operating division with it's own CEO based in Denver, CO, and has been around since 2018. They recently changed their original plan slightly, but still retained the $25/mo rate, just adding a $35/mo plan with a few extra features. It operates more as an MVNO than a direct Verizon plan. I wouldn't be surprised to see Visible brought under the Tracfone Wireless umbrella eventually, but I expect it will take a few more years for Verizon to fully integrate Tracfone into their overall operations.
Yet that link I provided came up after I signed into my Verizon account.
Visible is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Verizon. What is Visible?

Last edited:
So I finally got a smart phone. I've been curious about Spectrum mobile and decided to take a chance. I needed to go to Spectrum to upgrade our modem and while there, I asked about their cellular service. I know they're piggybacking off the Verizon network which we already have. So I asked what they had. Bottom line, I got a Samsung A14 5G.

The monthly fee is about the same as my Verizon flip phone. So I thought I'd give it a try. Still have the Verizon coverage for the wives cell and our MIFI which we use for Internet while on the road. The Spectrum rep wasn't able to port all my phone numbers and I'm not sure I'll be able to other than one by one so that's one of the downsides. The other so far after 3 days of use is its size. It's huge, almost like carrying a small iPad which is another toy I got a few months ago and really don't use much. Got an Armorbox to carry it. That makes it even larger so not sure I'll be using it. In any event, as long as I've got the DW sitting across from me at the home desk, I'll be able to figure it out. She's got a high end Samsung and they're actually quite similar. Only major difference is cost. Her's is more like $1,000. I think mine is about $200 after all the discounts.

So now we have two iMac 27 computers, two iPads a Verizon JetPac and two Samsung phones. I think we've it covered. With the $275 monthly charge for home Internet and Cell service, I just have to ask, why? What happened over the past 30 years, when we managed with a house phone and a $25 monthly fee and paper maps? And quite honestly, we still take tons of maps when we travel.

With the $275 monthly charge for home Internet and Cell service, I just have to ask, why? What happened over the past 30 years, when we managed with a house phone and a $25 monthly fee and paper maps? And quite honestly, we still take tons of maps when we travel.

I know, right? Even though I say that myself, if I ever for once thought about giving something "connected" up, it just gives me the heebee jeebies! How did we get to this point? It just ain't right!

So now we have two iMac 27 computers, two iPads a Verizon JetPac and two Samsung phones. I think we've it covered. With the $275 monthly charge for home Internet and Cell service, I just have to ask, why?
Well, it's largely personal choice. I have $35 internet and $70 Verizon plan and I'm not sure I need that much verizon plan.

I tether my iPad to my phone for internet. But with a second person and your hot spot needs I guess it is what it is.

Only for 12 months.
Not really. I had one of those Samsungs and when I stopped using Tracfone I decided to use the phone as a hot spot. Tracfone has changed the phone so it can't be used as a hot spot.

The real issues I have with smart phones is how they're used and I would hate to become one of the many, in your face no matter where you are or what you're doing smart phone users. I see people looking at their smart phones whether they're walking, riding a bicycle or driving on the freeway. It's insane. Reminds me of all the people who walk around Costco eating all the free food samples. It reminds of cattle grazing.
I had the same issue with upgrading to a smartphone. I figured out the solution to keep me from walking around with my phone in my hand. The secret is to turn off all notifications. All notifications are there to convince you to use that app. Most notifications are totally bogus and unnecessary. Like a small child trying to get your attention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom