Total luddite looking for suggestions for smart phone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DW has a iphone I have a Samsung. My Samsung is so much easier to use. However since you like your Mac it makes more sense to go Iphone so everything will be synced. Be aware if you like music apple dumped ITunes. Now its all on YouTube music
Not so. My iPhone 7 is fully updated and still has the iTunes Store. My Apple Music app has all my old iTunes content. I don’t do the subscription version of Apple Music, but there really isn’t any need to. I use Spotify and Pandora for streaming on the rare occasions I want a music streaming service.

Here is the best deal for you. 4G LG phone, one year of service and 1500 minutes for $60. Can't beat it for price. I have been using Tracfone for over 10 years. It is cheaper to buy from eBay rather than Tracfone's web site.

Tom when you go this route can you use your existing phone number on the new phone purchased on ebay? I have a LG now on Tracfone that will need another year service purchased in December and want to keep that number. Isn't there also a discount Tracfone website in FL? Rich

After resisting for many years and relying on the wife for any and all things smart phone related my contractor grade flip phone is almost dead. The DW has a Samsung so it probably makes sense to buy one. But I've been a Mac user for more than 10 years and think maybe an iPhone makes more sense.

If I could find a high quality flip phone I'd probably buy one but I can also see the benefits of an iPhone. There are a number of apps I would be interested in. Things like blue tooth connectivity to my Victron BMS, the motorhomes plug in OBD device and the ability to connect a camera to the phone to see what's happening in those areas that are beneath the floor. (thinking of running some 12v extensions and 120v wiring from the Inverter).

Looking for suggestions for mid-grade phone. We're Verizon users if that matters.

Thanks for your thoughts. for more guide visit this https://mobilecheck.pk
I realise that this is probably the zillionth mobile phone thread on here, but I dropped my trusty 7/8 year old T610 on the floor and it no longer works. Not being particularly into mobile phones I wonder whether anybody can suggest a more modern phone that preferably has web and wifi access and which isn't expensive (I'm a tightwad on PAYG). I had been wondering about an Android phone but have no idea what I'm looking for :oops: Any tips would be appreciated Thanks

Not all that trusty then, is it? I'm surprised you were able to use it at all, I had an older phone like that and it went the way of the dodo bird when carriers here stopped supporting 2G. Got a 3G android phone and that too got sunsetted when 3G was overshadowed by 4G/5G. I'm not so much a luddite but I consider a phone to be a utility and not a way of life. Ever since my first phone probably 20 years ago or so I've been a pay as you go customer, currently with tracfone. I get a ~$100 phone, put an SD card in it to hold photos I take and I average about $75 a year in minutes/data/text usage. I run very few if any apps on it, reserving that function for other android devices I keep around.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I realise that this is probably the zillionth mobile phone thread on here, but I dropped my trusty 7/8 year old T610 on the floor and it no longer works. Not being particularly into mobile phones I wonder whether anybody can suggest a more modern phone that preferably has web and wifi access and which isn't expensive (I'm a tightwad on PAYG). I had been wondering about an Android phone but have no idea what I'm looking for :oops: Any tips would be appreciated Thanks
You should start a new thread. You won't get much help tacking on to someone else's thread.

I was an apple guy for 20 years because I got my phone from the company. After retirement I switched to iOS stuff.

I bought a Galaxy A51 unlocked from Amazon for about $250. I have a $70 unlimited Verizon plan.

I have a young protégé and bought him a Galaxy A03 from straight talk and a $35 a month unlimited plan so I could keep in touch with him.

The phone does almost everything mine does - apps, maps, photos etc. etc. Won't hotspot for others AFAIK.

The only downside is that the phone is hooked to straight talk for this price.

Super cheap way to get into smart phones and see what you like/don't like. Comes in a box and pretty much you turn it on and it register's itself.

BTW - No contract commitments at all. You can throw it away in a month if you don't like it.

1695388664250.png

Last edited:
For Android phones, the Samsung mid-price phones (A-series, e.g.A50) provide an excellent value. Have most of the nice features at half the price of the fancier models.

Why not? Any new post shows up on latest posts and new posts, doesn't matter if it's a new thread or a 10 year old one.

View attachment 167719

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Generally I'd agree, with one exception. When I get into these threads, now and then I like to pop back to the OP to refresh my memory on what the actual question was. When the "OP" I'm looking for is actually number 23 in the thread, it's not as easy to find.

As to this OP, as a habitual geek with no tech self control, I cannot help you beyond this: if you depend on a family member or close friend for tech support, choose a smart phone that's on the same platform as what they use, be it Apple or Android. Calls for help will go a lot more smoothly.

I have a young protégé and bought him a Galaxy A03 from straight talk and a $35 a month unlimited plan so I could keep in touch with him.

The phone does almost everything mine does - apps, maps, photos etc. etc. Won't hotspot for others AFAIK.

The only downside is that the phone is hooked to straight talk for this price.

Super cheap way to get into smart phones and see what you like/don't like. Comes in a box and pretty much you turn it on and it register's itself.
Only for 12 months. After that you can unlock the phone and use it elsewhere. Straight Talk (along with TracFone) is owned by Verizon so that shouldn't be too much of a downside. Unlocking Policy

Straight Talk is owned by Verizon so that shouldn't be too much of a downside.
One of the minor considerations compared to the other "tossable" outfit, Tracfone.

I had a bad glitch with Tracfone in the past so I tend to avoid them.

Also I don't know if tracfone has plans only. I bought my wife a dual sim phone. Her primary account is in Colombia. When she is here we activate her smarttalk sim card and switch her over. The only problem is that when she is gone too long StraightTalk times out the number and takes it back. Just a hassle to get a new card and number.

One of the minor considerations compared to the other "tossable" outfit, Tracfone.

I had a bad glitch with Tracfone in the past so I tend to avoid them.

Also I don't know if tracfone has plans only. I bought my wife a dual sim phone. Her primary account is in Colombia. When she is here we activate her smarttalk sim card and switch her over. The only problem is that when she is gone too long StraightTalk times out the number and takes it back. Just a hassle to get a new card and number.
Straight Talk is a Tracfone brand primarily marketed through Walmart. Tracfone and it's subsidiary brands were purchased by Verizon in November 2021. Both brands have "bring your own phone" plans where they'll send you a SIM to use in a compatible phone. As does Visible, also owned by Verizon. Look on their websites.

A tip when buying a Walmart phone and service plan - each phone's primary carrier is shown in fine print somewhere on the box. That's why I was a Straight Talk customer before switching to Visible a couple of year ago - when I was in Walmart I found one of their phones that was on the Verizon network. I was happy with both companies but I've stayed with Visible because they include a hotspot with unlimited data.

My only advice: I"m not an apple (IOS) fan so go with Android.
Also if you find yourself using the phone as a hotspot.
I've devices that don't play nice with IOS but have no problem at all with Android.
Mine is a Samsung Galaxy A-32 5G

After resisting for many years and relying on the wife for any and all things smart phone related my contractor grade flip phone is almost dead. The DW has a Samsung so it probably makes sense to buy one. But I've been a Mac user for more than 10 years and think maybe an iPhone makes more sense.

If I could find a high quality flip phone I'd probably buy one but I can also see the benefits of an iPhone. There are a number of apps I would be interested in. Things like blue tooth connectivity to my Victron BMS, the motorhomes plug in OBD device and the ability to connect a camera to the phone to see what's happening in those areas that are beneath the floor. (thinking of running some 12v extensions and 120v wiring from the Inverter).

Looking for suggestions for mid-grade phone. We're Verizon users if that matters.

Thanks for your thoughts.
So garyb1st what did you buy and what are your recommendations?

For the cost I'd recommend Consumer Cellular, you can buy a phone and $20 monthly plan (unlimited call, text, 1GB data) at any Target store or online.
You do not need a 5G phone! The present 4G/LTE network will be around for many more years due to the tower requirements of 5G. At least that's what the local Verizon store manager told me last year.
Verizon also has a Visible prepaid plan that is quite reasonable.
As to a smart phone, expect to pay a minimum of $150; IMO very few people need a $1,000 phone, do they want one, sure, need is different. They all do the same thing.

Last edited:
As to a smart phone, expect to pay a minimum of $150; IMO very few people need a $1,000 phone, do they want one, sure, need is different. They all do the same thing.
You haven't bought a high end smart phone in a while, I am guessing...

I can't fathom people buying these things...

1695473337807.png

For the cost I'd recommend Consumer Cellular, you can buy a phone and $20 monthly plan (unlimited call, text, 1GB data) at any Target store or online.
You do not need a 5G phone! The present 4G/LTE network will be around for many more years due to the tower requirements of 5G.
I'll second Consumer Cellular- we've been using them for over 10 years and have been very pleased with the service. With the AARP discount we pay $57/mo for two lines and 10GB data, the same price as they charged for 400MB data when we started-- lots of increased over the years in data amount for the same price, and excellent service.

You do not need a 5G phone! The present 4G/LTE network will be around for many more years due to the tower requirements of 5G. At least that's what the local Verizon store manager told me last year.
Verizon also has a Visible prepaid plan that is quite reasonable.
Verizon's prepaid Visible service is definitely worth taking a look at. Unlimited talk, text, and data, including hotspot use, for $25/mo is pretty hard to beat.

I can't fathom people buying these things...
I think I mentioned that I'm a habitual geek with no tech self control, so I'll explain LOL. I have the successor to your example, the Fold 4. The fold 5 was released recently. I upgrade every 2-3 versions, so I'll keep this one for about 3 years or so.

Nobody pays msrp for those. Granted, they're still north of $1000, to what degree depends on the memory capacity option. There's always some sort of trade-in promotion or the like. Mine is also accounted for as a business expense, although I am aware there are fans that buy these out of pocket.

As to why? It's a kickass phone, mini-tablet, and camera (with 1TB memory for video usefulness) all in one. Do I need it? No.

I never have been able to pick up the tablet habit because I'm lazy and tablets are to big to fit in my pocket. This has changed that. Despite it's small size, I have found it substantially more useful than my previous normal format smart phones for web browsing (everything from online banking to video watching), scanning and editing pdf's, and more. In that regard, the Fold has been a major win for me.

Not for everyone I admit. Nothing wrong with a bare bones phone if that suits your use profile. I'm following this thread because, as an habitual geek, I like to keep up with the latest tech across the spectrum, not just megabuck flagship devices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom