totally confused about insurance - sudden newbie...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV Roamer said:
Adding a trailer to your auto policy is typically the least expensive way to insure it, but there is some risk of the problem that Garyb1st encountered. It also may provide the least coverage, i.e. strictly a collision damage coverage. Read the fine print carefully.

Good point.  That was the real reason I switched to Good Sams.  My Geico policy did not provide any liability coverage for slip and fall type claims brought by a guest entering or leaving my trailer.  That left a significant gap in my insurance coverage.  My auto insurance covers liability claims when the trailer is hitched up to my truck.  My homeowners policy covers liability claims when my trailer is parked on my property.  But when it's located anywhere else, there was no liability coverage.   

Many home owners policies include what is called personal liability coverage, i.e. they cover [to some degree] damage that you may be responsible for, even off-premises. If you have a homeowner or renter policy, check the coverages before buying extra for the rv.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Many home owners policies include what is called personal liability coverage, i.e. they cover [to some degree] damage that you may be responsible for, even off-premises. If you have a homeowner or renter policy, check the coverages before buying extra for the rv.

That's true.  Also, have your insurance company confirm your understanding and ask them to memorialize that in writing.  When I asked my insurance company they said no. 

I am very happy with my GEICO policy and service on both vehicles.

We had GEICO when we first started full-timing 3 years ago. When we got the insurance, we made sure they knew we were full-timers. Our RV insurance price was so low ($450 a year), we called back to make sure they knew we were full-timers. At the second place we stopped on our new full-timing adventure, we lost our awning and there was a lot of damage to the roof. Total repairs were about $5000. GEICO covered all of it, then dropped us like a hot potato.

From then on, insurance became quite expensive. We tried to get back on GEICO, telling them it was a rookie mistake and we'd never do it again, but they told us they don't have a policy for full-timers.

-Roni

Back
Top Bottom